BCAA recommendation?

Options
Thinking of taking this to help boost my weight loss and cardio recovery.
Can anyone with good knowledge on the subject recommend a good quality and not too expensive brand for me to try?

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How is BCAA going to boost your weight loss?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    BCAA's do not help with weight loss, they help in repairing tissue and protect against muscle loss. Personally, I like Usplabs - Modern BCAA
  • mulligasam
    mulligasam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Doesnt it? It helps your muscle growth and muscle tissue repair which in turn speeds up your metabolic rate which helps aid weight loss.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm only just now hearing about the product and don't want to waist my money if it's stricktly for bulking up and bodybuilding
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    mulligasam wrote: »
    Doesnt it? It helps your muscle growth and muscle tissue repair which in turn speeds up your metabolic rate which helps aid weight loss.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm only just now hearing about the product and don't want to waist my money if it's stricktly for bulking up and bodybuilding

It's not strictly for bulking or body builders and actually helps those in a deficit (they're apt to lose muscle quicker). Although, I don't know how much it would speed up your metabolic rate. From personal experience, I don't think its that much.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Hang tight, I grabbed a couple of my friends to come answer.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Get a good night's sleep and drink lots of water. It works better unless you're on the juice.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

If you eat adequate protein, especially from a variety of sources, you do not need BCAAs.

It is not strictly for bodybuilding or bulking (you won't get bulky anyway). It is taken for recovery, but you get amino acids from eating protein.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    You don't have an open diary, so I have no idea how much protein you ingest daily, however, if you are getting enough protein -- if that be by food sources or supplements --- you don't need BCAA's

"Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) are three amino acids with similar structures that beneficially influence the muscles. They can be found in any food containing protein, such as eggs or meat. Supplementation is not necessary, but BCAAs may benefit the body if taken at specific times."

(Source)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    FYI: I've never taken BCAA's in all my body building efforts and I turned out just fine. lol.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

If you eat adequate protein, especially from a variety of sources, you do not need BCAAs.

It is not strictly for bodybuilding or bulking (you won't get bulky anyway). It is taken for recovery, but you get amino acids from eating protein.

This. Not really necessary, just make sure to get adequate protein intake from a variety of sources and you'll be straight.
  • mulligasam
    mulligasam Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great info guys! Thanks so much for your input. I think I will give it a miss for now and continue to monitor my protein intake. I eat eggs most days and I love my meat. So I guess I'll be ok without em. :-)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are good for maintaining muscle when doing cardio in a fasted state. I’ve been using it recently to keep from bonking during crossfit sessions (fasted). I’ve see some improvement.
  • katshealy
    Options
    So, following this post... can anyone help with the definition of "adequate protien" and if we need to suplement, what do you recommend?