Overweight, depressed and trying to move on.

Options
Jenny9000
Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
Hey all.

Quick background story...

I've been a member here for a few years. My first time I maxed out my weight at 5'9 at exactly 190lbs, on Dec 31, 2012. Flash forward almost a year and I was down to (on average) about 165lbs. ( I felt beyond amazing at this weight.)

Now here I am in the first few months of 2015, at about 240lbs. I have severe depression and anxiety (this had actually started around my lowest weight due to a couple near death experiences....) I have been heavily medicated for the past 2 years now.

I am at my highest weight now, and I do not want to get any higher.

I am trying to feel happy, and part of that is from eating properly.

I am an extremely busy student with a torn left knee - so I don't have time at this point in my life to exercise. But I strongly want to focus on my diet at this time.

If anyone is starting over, has a similar situation, or just looking new friends, feel free to add me or message me.

Much love.

Replies

• j22yce
    j22yce Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't despair Jenny, add me as a friend if you wish. A kind word/thought goes a long way. I am getting back on track after a holiday. Started MFP last year after putting on weight due to having to operations within two years. I got there and with support you will to.
  • Ogopogo
    Ogopogo Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jenny, you don't have to do this all at once - small permanent changes in lifestyle will have a huge effect. For me, I have replaced my habit of eating every night while watching TV with drinking flavored water and riding a stationary bike. I know that your injury prevents you from exercising but, making healthy food choices is key. If you eat like a 165 pound person every day, it is just a matter of time before the weight catches up to your new lifestyle. Don't despair about where you are at today, eat like you are already 165 and your body will catch up.

Also, the people on here are motivational. Use us all for positive reinforcement and accountability. Most of all - be accountable to yourself. Be the best you that you can be and your health will catch up to your new lifestyle. I have lost 27 pounds and have 97 more to go!

I hope some of my ranting helps. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, you've got this!
  • 19_84_jade
    19_84_jade Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • PrettyBrownThick
    PrettyBrownThick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand your story all so well... I applaud you for trying again.
  • Bobbykins1
    Bobbykins1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and perhaps we can support to one another. Reaching my goal will probably take more than a year. I, too, started over in late January after maxing out and developing some related health problems. I have a torn meniscus in left knee and back problems that limit exercise possibilities and some food restrictions. It is sometimes a battle to keep from thoughtless eating, using food for comfort. What helps me with this is to meticulously record everything in my food diary. For exercise, I try to walk (slowly) for at least 30 minutes a day, an aquatic physical therapy program twice a week to strengthen my core.
    :)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I would love to help you with whatever you are dealing with Jenny!
  • cwilson72180
    cwilson72180 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain for real. Although I am not depressed currently, I do suffer from depression and have been on meds for it for years now. However, I am happy now although I am a little overweight as well. I know I will lose it soon. I just have to try harder and once we get moved into our new place this month, I will have my own space to use my exercise bike and Pilates machine. I can't wait to start exercising again!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I understand this so well. I remember that I weighed about 186 when I originally joined a different weight loss site. I've had 2 other accounts with MFP that I quit out of frustration with the excuse that some member had been mean to me (they had but I shouldn't have given up). The last time I weighed, I was up to 212. I've been at this a week and have had one bad day already; just couldn't make myself be accountable to my goals. Back at it; you only fail if you don't pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and continue pushing toward your goals. I have an added incentive - my blood pressure readings have been borderline or high in recent months. Weight loss isn't just vanity; it's a matter of health. I'm all in this time.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Depression/anxiety sufferer myself, also on medication, also managed to lose weight in the past and put it all back on, also seek happiness from food. Feel free to add me/ chat anytime! :flowerforyou:
  • Chelle2W
    Chelle2W Posts: 3
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I'm new to MVP and I definitely understand about getting depressed. I finally made up my mind to lose weight and I've bounced up and down throughout the years. Now I'm determined to change my lifestyle and take some weight off I actually walked for 30 minutes yesterday for the first time and today I did the same walk in 20 minutes. Tomorrow I plan on adding to my walking distance. Maybe we can help each other out with encouragement.
  • jdashef1
    jdashef1 Posts: 1
    Options
    There is no shame in talking to a counselor or therapist. It's ok to talk to people on the web; but, you should also find someone you can talk to in person.
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as well. I suffer from depression as well and have to take medication daily for it. I hate that I have to and it's taken a long time for me to accept that I need it. For awhile I would stop taking it and things would get 10 times worse. I know now that there is no shame in having to take my pill to get me through the day.