Does chewing gum actually trick your body into expecting food and feeling hungry or is it okay?

Options
I chew gum a lot as a distraction to keep my mouth busy and to keep myself from falling into a sleepy stupor when reading particularly dry pieces for my studies.

I've heard that the action of chewing for prolonged periods of time can trick your body into thinking it's hungrier than it actually is though because it's expecting food - is this simply a myth or is there any evidence behind it?

Personally I haven't noticed any difference in hunger to when I chew gum as opposed to when I don't but I'm curious in case there is a grain of truth it and I'm inadvertently making life harder for myself!

What're your thoughts and facts?

Replies

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I was told that when I was a child, whereas recently I read that, when you think you're hungry, its good to chew sugar-free gum to distract yourself. I've also read that chewing gum encourages bloating.

I pretty much chew a pack a day (medication I'm on causes a dry mouth) and I don't get hungrier on it, so will stick with it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm on medication that causes dry mouth and I chew gum all the time. I don't notice any effect on hunger.
  • Marieenya
    Marieenya Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's encouraging!

I try not too chew it too often because I have a bone condition and the extra strain can make my jaw ache for much longer/much more than it usually would in another person withotu me realising when I'm actually doing it!

It is a great way to save from boredom-eating though and it honestly makes me so much more focused on what I'm doing when I've got to read through heavy texts. I used to snack a lot before but it's so difficult to find a snack that's actually enjoyable to have a lot of, easy and quick to make that's both low on calories and easy on the budget.
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out on this, actually. I chew after meals, and only chew gum by Spry, because it' uses Zylitol (a sweetener from plants). It's a type of sugar that can help you prevent cavities. I also chew after a meal because the act of chewing helps me combat heartburn. Here's a well-researched article from the Wall Street Journal you may find helpful. ;-) http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303393804579312530655480114