Belly Fat

Options
Looking for an effective way of losing belly fat. I've tried a little of everything. I've had 2 c sections, need help. Last resort is surgery

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can do to specifically choose where you want fat to come off. All you can do is eat in a calorie deficit, and lose weight. Some will come off your belly over time, but you can't choose when or how much.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Have you had a chance to glance at the posts stickied at the top of each board? This one in particular might be helpful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit ==> Weight loss ==> Shrinking belly.

There really I no other way.

Really.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The thing is that there isn't really any such thing as "spot reducing." If you work out a certain area, that area will get tighter and pull in, but over that tightness and muscle, the fat will still be there until you work to lose weight.

People store fat differently. The belly is a very typical area, but another person might, for example, be overweight and have a flat belly but a very large behind, or have flabby upper arms (due to excess fat, not due to the need to build muscle) but the rest of his/her body may look less overweight. If you're only overweight in your belly, that's the main place your body likes to store fat...but it IS still fat and it won't go away until you expend more than you're taking in, and reduce it.

Now you did mention C-sections. I didn't find that my C-section caused me to store any more fat than before. My body still stored fat in the same places it is genetically programmed to store fat. The fat didn't suddenly start just going to my belly specifically. I can't say I speak for every woman, but that does stand to reason, IMO.

You may also have loose skin there. But if you're carrying excess weight, it's likely that it's not just loose skin, but also fat. I can't say for certain, obviously, since I've never seen you in person. After the fat loss, you may still have loose skin, but skin is quite thin - you should be able to tell the difference. Some women also say their muscles in the area "act" differently after a C-section. But again, that's not about fat. That's about the ability to tone.
  • SlimBride2Be2016
    SlimBride2Be2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Guess ill do my best to lose it and if all else fails, I can always get lipo and a tummy tuck
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Believe the folks above. It can be done without a lipo. I started two months ago, eating at a deficit and lifting heavy (well, as heavy as I have available - 10lb dumbbells at first but that sure was heavy for my completely non-trained obese self when I started.) I have lost all over but mostly 4 inches off my belly and I always was apple shaped. Eating less + doing strength training works. It can be done.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If that's your basic shape, just the regular stuff. If it's newish belly fat, like it just started going there lately, you never had fat there before (i.e. it's not your typical shape), do the regular stuff anyway, but in that case it could be related to cortisol (stress, lack of sleep), and chilling out would be a good idea.

Ah you're talking about C sections - probably not stress, then.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a fat belly now at 65 pounds overweight. When I was younger and skinny, I had a fat belly then, too. Everything else was skinny, but I had a belly that made me look preggers.

For me, it's genetic. Every single female in my family as far back as I can go has had a fat belly. My mom is underweight right now, and has a belly.

I had some cosmetic surgery years ago and asked the doc, who is a trusted family friend, about the belly and he said if that's your natural body shape, then very little will change it. It will get smaller with weight loss, but never go away. Meaning, I could build up my ab muscles until the cows come home, but the 6-pack will be hiding under belly fat. Lipo is good for that. (I'm no expert, this is just what an expert told me.)

I don't know what c-sections do to the tummy. Is it loose skin or real belly fat? Or is it scar tissue maybe?
  • SlimBride2Be2016
    SlimBride2Be2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Its a fat pouch as my doc put it..I have muscles under it like crazy but can't seem to get to them..
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Its a fat pouch as my doc put it..I have muscles under it like crazy but can't seem to get to them..

You have to lose the fat over the muscle. You can't spot reduce that fat. Check out the thread above. It was written by me and outlines how to lose fat to have a nice stomach.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Eat in a calorie deficit

/thread
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, then yeah, it will go down. Also, I was #teamlipo for awhile there, but after doing extensive research on it, learned that many women, once they had lipo, if they gained weight, the weight came on...differently. Though not as much in the place where they had lipo, much more in other parts of their body where they never had issues with fat collecting before.

After reading a few stories and seeing some photos of that, I was like nooo thank you! Ill just lose this weight the old fashioned way..and if I dont, Id rather my fat collect in the areas Im used to, than create more problems for myself later.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. When you lose fat, it will eventually come off the belly as well. Lift weights asap.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There is a great video by tiffany rothe on youtube called booty shakin abs. Its a 10 min vid but its fun and helps whittle down that area. I love it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Don't mean to point out the obvious but don't your think the 65lbs you still have too lose has a lot to do with this

Just keep losing body fat
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Don't mean to point out the obvious but don't your think the 65lbs you still have too lose has a lot to do with this

Just keep losing body fat

This.

Cart, horse - get the order right.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Really.

I eat a deficit and exercise. I look thinner in arms and legs (more muscular), gained weight (20lbs+), and my belly increased 6 inches. its like all my fat got redistributed to my belly....try to figure that one out...
  • dtracey4
    dtracey4 Posts: 90
    Options
    I've had c section as well and it's terrible at leaving that flap over scar no matter how slim I am I do use everlast slimming belt it does reduce it
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mokaiba wrote: »

Really.

I eat a deficit and exercise. I look thinner in arms and legs (more muscular), gained weight (20lbs+), and my belly increased 6 inches. its like all my fat got redistributed to my belly....try to figure that one out...

You gained weight - that's not redistribution of old fat, that's addition of new fat.