Natural/Barefoot Running???

Options
I just started the C25K Tuesday. My cardio sucks so I decided running is the way to go. I have been doing 30 Day Shred and a kettlebell workout 3-4 times a week for the past month or so, and running seems liberating so I decided to try it. Plus I want to be ready for Zombies :laugh:

Natural/barefoot running intrigued me, but I stopped into Runners Shoe Store and they advised not to start out natural running.

Later that night I did my first session of C25K. Looking back, I think that I do run the natural way when jogging. What if I do run that way? Are my running shoes going to hurt me?? I think that if I run full-out I do a heel strike, but jogging at a slower pace I think I hit mid foot. I have Asics Evo 4 for my shoes.

I am doing day 2 of the C25K tonight and will pay attention how I run. What should I do if I do run the natural way? Get different shoes? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm in the same boat!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Joggers tend to strike their heels heavily on the ground, making use of the heels of conventional running shoes. Despite the cushioned heel of the shoe, joggers send a shock through the heel, knee, hip and spine of the quantity of 2-3 times their body weight with every step. This causes the majority of running “overuse injuries”, also called “repetitive strain injuries”.

from http://www.heelless.co.uk/

this is the case for me as I have a lower back injury that is aggrivated when running on the heel .

I have been able to jog with out back pain using the heel-less method and am in the process of build up my distances as I reduce my weight.

Hope this helps you
  • alluwant15
    alluwant15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was also intrigued by that barefoot running. I read from a magazine that when using barely-there sneakers, you will hit the ground with your mid-foot or forefoot instead of the achilles tendon which lessens the stress. I also read that runners who use this kind of shoes takes shorter steps and to compensate with it, they stride faster. However, I'm not quite comfortable with the design. I am concerned that the lack of cushioning may cause more injuries if I trip or fall.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was also intrigued by that barefoot running. I read from a magazine that when using barely-there sneakers, you will hit the ground with your mid-foot or forefoot instead of the achilles tendon which lessens the stress. I also read that runners who use this kind of shoes takes shorter steps and to compensate with it, they stride faster. However, I'm not quite comfortable with the design. I am concerned that the lack of cushioning may cause more injuries if I trip or fall.

I was looking at Reebok Realflex shoes, they give a lot of protection. From what I understand, natural/barefoot running takes a long time to perfect and even experienced runners can take up to a year to get used to it. But I think I run like that already, and I will pay attention tonight how I run.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    of course runners shoe store would advise you not to run barefoot, they want to sell people shoes :laugh:

on a more serious note, if the shoes are working for you, i'd be inclined just to stick with them.

the main advantage of minimalist shoes, in my opinion, is that there's no heel to toe height differential - that was what made it difficult for me to get out of the habit of heel striking, in conventional running shoes. i've never even had to try not to heel strike in my fivefingers, even when running more quickly. i did it deliberately once, out of curiosity, and it bloomin' hurts.

maybe read a bit about pose or chi running? if i'd been able to fix my form myself - without forking out for weird, expensive shoes - i'd just have done that!
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I purchased a pair of vibram's about 4 months ago and am still not up to running in them. As of now, I do my cardio routine at the gym in them (arc trainer, strength training) and walking in them. You need to be very slow and cautious as you build up your foot muscles with these shoes. It is so easy to hurt yourself when you aren't strong enough to run in the barefoot way. However, I just ran a 10 mile race in nike frees, which were fantastic. I think the Nike Free (Mine are the 3s) are a great transition into barefoot running. They aren't as severe as typical running shoes yet support your feet much more than vibrams. Good luck! I will never, EVER lace up my old running shoes again!
  • craftylatvian
    Options
    I purchased a pair of vibram's about 4 months ago and am still not up to running in them. As of now, I do my cardio routine at the gym in them (arc trainer, strength training) and walking in them. You need to be very slow and cautious as you build up your foot muscles with these shoes. It is so easy to hurt yourself when you aren't strong enough to run in the barefoot way. However, I just ran a 10 mile race in nike frees, which were fantastic. I think the Nike Free (Mine are the 3s) are a great transition into barefoot running. They aren't as severe as typical running shoes yet support your feet much more than vibrams. Good luck! I will never, EVER lace up my old running shoes again!

I was looking at Reebok Realflex shoes. And, if I do run the "natural" way as my normal running and don't reall do a heel strike I wonder if I would be O.K. purchasing the Reeboks. Since I am just starting out running,
    I will report back tomorrow on how I run after I go tonight.
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maybe build up your running muscles first and then transition to bare/nearly-bare feet.

A runner with bare feet passed me on the sidewalk the other day during my noon time constitutional. I wanted to stop him and question him but he was moving pretty fast!

I guess our ancestors pretty much ran barefoot their whole lives, but there was no pavement in those days. If there's a dirt path or a field with short, soft grass for you to run in, that might be easier on your joints than asphalt or concrete. A beach would be nice, too.

I plan to do more running as I get lighter. For now, elliptical cross trainer does the trick.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for a few years now and just got Vibrams a couple months ago. I had to completely change my stride and I'm still not up to running long distances in the Vibrams because I've had to change my stride. I do up to 3 miles in the Vibrams now and I also do majority of my workouts in them (I workout usually about 8-12 times/ week). I think that if you're just now starting to run, that you might as well build up your stamina and muscles running barefoot- then you won't spend that extra time retraining yourself to run barefoot.
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went to a running store and got fitted for some aloes last year. His intentions were to start the c25k, but he were both out with shin splints not long after! I only did evening walks and some light jogging, but got shin splints.

6 months later, after continually trying to heal and run, we bought some vibrams. I'm just about to finish week two pain free! I run a little part of my route on concrete, but mostly on grass and dirt. I love it! There is an adjustment period, so I wore them while I was outside with the kids playing a bit. Also, if you go barefoot in your home, you'll adjust more quickly. I think starting c25k was a perfect pace to start wearing them!

Give it a try!
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting in to running!

Bearfoot running has its benefits but I do not see it as for begginers or anyone that has got less than 100% perfect body allignment and no history of injuries... due to the stress it poses on the body.

However I think it is a very positive tool to improve strenght, posture and balance on majority of runners.

It can be incorporated as drills or specific sets to stimulate the body to adapt and become stronger, but you will need either a good coach/spotter or to video your posture and check that you are not doing harm.

If you already notice that you are running in a "natural" way then you have a strong advantage as you hopefully will be injury free as you increase your running gradually.

I would wait 3-6 months of running to achieve good conditioning before starting to add very gradually some bear foot drills, and only then if you are injury free.

Best of luck!
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was looking at Reebok Realflex shoes. And, if I do run the "natural" way as my normal running and don't reall do a heel strike I wonder if I would be O.K. purchasing the Reeboks. Since I am just starting out running,
    I will report back tomorrow on how I run after I go tonight.
    i meant to mention the adjustment period too, sorry! it'll depend on the extent that you have to alter your form.

i believe barefoot devotees are inclined to advise people to go fully barefoot because any imperfections in form become immediately apparent and your progress is limited by how quickly your feet can toughen up. minimalist shoes allow folk to skip the feet-toughening part, get away with slightly dodgy form and do too much too soon - a really common way to get injured. if you naturally run with appropriate form and you've already got strong legs, you shouldn't have such a difficult time getting used to it :)

i had to spend a few weeks running laps of a grassy cricket pitch in tiny burts, then did the first few weeks of c25k on it before i started c25k again on pavement. been fine since, although my calves are still my limiting factor because they were horrendously weak - your milage may vary!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My advice having started into the barefoot thing is don't be afraid to try it, even if you are newer to running.
    But on the flip side, be cautious and don't jump in too much too fast.
    If you already have a natural stride, keeping it & running in your regular shoes will be fine. But I do think little bits of barefooting can really help you to realize a proper stride & keep it when you do run longer/farther in regular shoes.

The more I get into the barefoot thing, the more I am seeing it as a tool to teach yourself how to run properly, because when you don't, the feedback (pain) is instantaneous. You don;t have to dive in completely to reap the benefits

One last thing, I too thought grass, and "softer" areas would be better to start out in, but quickly learned, dry ground is hard, and running on pavement was no big deal, and actually let me see small rocks/pebbles so I could avoid them easier than when they are hiding in the grass.
  • craftylatvian
    Options
    Well done for getting in to running!

Bearfoot running has its benefits but I do not see it as for begginers or anyone that has got less than 100% perfect body allignment and no history of injuries... due to the stress it poses on the body.

However I think it is a very positive tool to improve strenght, posture and balance on majority of runners.

It can be incorporated as drills or specific sets to stimulate the body to adapt and become stronger, but you will need either a good coach/spotter or to video your posture and check that you are not doing harm.

If you already notice that you are running in a "natural" way then you have a strong advantage as you hopefully will be injury free as you increase your running gradually.

I would wait 3-6 months of running to achieve good conditioning before starting to add very gradually some bear foot drills, and only then if you are injury free.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info. I will pay attention to how I run tonight. For someone who is overweight and did a first run, I was surprised I was not sore at all the next day. My big thing is the cardio, it kills me!! I still am leaning towards the Reeboks, but I will ease into running naturally.
  • Makers72
    Makers72 Posts: 65
    Options
    I would reccommend googling VIbram 5 finger shoes..

They are basically a shoe that is verry thin and goes around each toe (kind of like those socks girls where that has a hole for each individual toe) this allows you to run naturally.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I wouldnt reccommend to any American to run barefoot. Our feet from years of shoes will take awhile to adapt... Besides id rather have something protecting my feet from the possibility of not seeing something and really hurting them.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One last thing, I too thought grass, and "softer" areas would be better to start out in, but quickly learned, dry ground is hard, and running on pavement was no big deal, and actually let me see small rocks/pebbles so I could avoid them easier than when they are hiding in the grass.
    I agree. I usually slow down in the grass because I am wary of stepping on things that hurt or in holes. On pavement I can go full bore because I can see what's there. Pavement also offers a firm surface for the elastic properties of the tendons to rebound against.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have some barefoot inov8s and am getting some vibrams, but haven't decided if I want them for running or just walking yet. I injured my ankle running too far offroad in my inov8s, and my physio said 80% of the running injuries she sees are caused by offroad shoes. The reason is that without any cushioning, the small muscles in your ankles have to work really hard, whereas in normal running shoes you can heal strike, which worked your thighs a lot, but not the small ankle muscles. You need to start running short distances and very gradually build up the strength and flexibility in those smaller muscles to avoid injury.
  • llGeoll
    llGeoll Posts: 2
    Options
    I am the Co-Fonder of Run Free SD, a group of individuals in the San Diego area that are dedicated to barefoot or minmalist style running. I have been running in VFF KSO's for almost two years now and run further and faster than I have ever been able to in the past with regular shoes. The most important thing to remember is give your feet muscles time to grow. Your feet have been shielded and "supported" for so many years that they have had no reason to grown any real muscle. Once you get through the "growth pains" and the blisters have grown and long hardened any terrain will be your best friend. Running long distances will become enjoyable and liberating. The benefits of mid foot striking are unvbelievable and once you have it down joint pain "should" be a thing of the past. When in full barefoot running shape it doesn't really matter how hard or soft the terrain is because you have taught yourself how to run and use your foot and leg MUSCLES (vs. joints) to absorb that shock, and what happens when you use your muscles? They get stronger! vs. when you use your joints they only get more and more weak. Finally, my own personal opinion is that Vibram Five Fingers should only be used for running or aerobic style workouts. Weight lifting in VFF's is not only pointless but could be dangerous if a person at the gym happens to drop a weight on your foot! So be cautious when exercising barefoot, but not to the point where you are not willing to work through the pain. The benefits are long term and amazing! Check out the FB page below if you live within the San Diego area and want to meet up with us for one of our weekly runs:

www.facebook.com/runfreesd

Geo
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    There is a book called Barefoot Running you should read. My husband is totally into it.

the thing about it is you must break into it systematically. I know people who went full out on their regular runs in minimalist footwear (Vibrams, Newtons, Merrell glove, etc) and developed tendonitis. You must break into it slowly.

at this point, it doesn't appeal to me, but my husband is completely obsessed with it so i learn about it from him. When my time comes, I'll be chock full of knowledge!!! :laugh:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am the Co-Fonder of Run Free SD, a group of individuals in the San Diego area that are dedicated to barefoot or minmalist style running. I have been running in VFF KSO's for almost two years now and run further and faster than I have ever been able to in the past with regular shoes. The most important thing to remember is give your feet muscles time to grow. Your feet have been shielded and "supported" for so many years that they have had no reason to grown any real muscle. Once you get through the "growth pains" and the blisters have grown and long hardened any terrain will be your best friend. Running long distances will become enjoyable and liberating. The benefits of mid foot striking are unvbelievable and once you have it down joint pain "should" be a thing of the past. When in full barefoot running shape it doesn't really matter how hard or soft the terrain is because you have taught yourself how to run and use your foot and leg MUSCLES (vs. joints) to absorb that shock, and what happens when you use your muscles? They get stronger! vs. when you use your joints they only get more and more weak. Finally, my own personal opinion is that Vibram Five Fingers should only be used for running or aerobic style workouts. Weight lifting in VFF's is not only pointless but could be dangerous if a person at the gym happens to drop a weight on your foot! So be cautious when exercising barefoot, but not to the point where you are not willing to work through the pain. The benefits are long term and amazing! Check out the FB page below if you live within the San Diego area and want to meet up with us for one of our weekly runs:

www.facebook.com/runfreesd

Geo

THIS!!!!!:wink: