You know you weigh least in the morning...

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
When you first get up, after going to the bathroom and nekkid?

Well, I normally get up at 6am...and weigh every morning. But at the weekend I will still wake up at 6, use the bathroom and weigh then hop back into bed for a couple of hours more sleep.

So my question is how come that 2-3 hours sleep (from 6am to 9am) brings my weight down 1 to 1.5lbs?

Replies

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The same thing happens to me and probably everyone else.

Your body has had more time to release water. You probably urinate again at 9, correct?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Yep I have found that too...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I'm on the scale at 2:30 on Sundays, but between 5:30-8 the rest of the week and there is a vast difference in my Sunday weights from the rest.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    The same thing happens to me and probably everyone else.

Your body has had more time to release water. You probably urinate again at 9, correct?

Nope :grinning:

I know it means nothing, I enjoy tracking fluctuations in weight, hence the daily weighings, it's just another of those things that seem a little mystifying
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing! On weekends I weigh the first time I wake up, so long as it is light enough to see the scale, then go back to bed. Then when I wake up a few hours later, I'm lighter again. I presume it's more water gone, but it's always a big drop. Bodies are weird.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat or drink a whole lot between when you right get up and when you weigh again a few hours later it obviously makes sense that you are going to be lighter. Your body has gone a longer period of time without any food and yet is still doing all it's normal functions. You probably pee at least once more between then as well. Seems perfectly logical to me.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If you don't eat or drink a whole lot between when you right get up and when you weigh again a few hours later it obviously makes sense that you are going to be lighter. Your body has gone a longer period of time without any food and yet is still doing all it's normal functions. You probably pee at least once more between then as well. Seems perfectly logical to me.

Nope no extra pee

And 2-3 hours extra sleep for a significant scale movement doesn't seem that logical to me tbh
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well heck, maybe I should weigh, then not have any coffee, then weigh again.....I'm doing it wrong! cackle
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Yup, you should try it :)

• donnaamarie
    Options
    That's funny, I've done the same thing. Mostly on the weekend I will wake up and weigh and then just hang around for a little while without eating. I'll weigh again and it's like you said, down about 1.5 pounds. I find it amusing and of course after I eat if I weigh again those 1.5 pounds are right back there. I only record my weight once a month so it's irrelevant what every day weight says. We probably both need to just stay off the scale!!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You lose more water in breathing and through the skin; that's the only explanation I can think of.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Nope no extra pee

And 2-3 hours extra sleep for a significant scale movement doesn't seem that logical to me tbh

I can lose a whole kg of water in the space of an hour in the morning. It makes no sense to me either.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Maybe being all snuggled up in bed traps out water weight in, and then when we get up, even just to pee it starts the process evaporating through our skin? [/broscience]
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Maybe being all snuggled up in bed traps out water weight in, and then when we get up, even just to pee it starts the process evaporating through our skin? [/broscience]

I can lose that kilo between the bathroom at 6am / sleep / and the bathroom at 7am . . .
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Maybe you sweat it out :) in those 2-3 hours
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You lose more water in breathing and through the skin; that's the only explanation I can think of.

Yes this is something i read somewhere....I cant prove any of this.
    But it seems you sweat a lot of water out and also breath out.

Maybe google it lol

• My guess is that while one sleeps, they release water; almost like a form of evaporation but since you aren't consuming additional water, while sleeping to replenish it; you have a deficit of water upon waking.
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    had a hunch it was a combo of water exhaled/sweated as well as CO2 exhaled...googled it and found a nice video explanation:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/06/19/193556929/every-night-you-lose-more-than-a-pound-while-youre-asleep-for-the-oddest-reason
  • dogsarebears
    dogsarebears Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    so yup, mostly water
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Sometimes ill weigh myself at night ( and know its gonna be like 3lbs up) just so i can weigh in the morning and feel like i lost wt!

And i weigh myself first thing when i wake after peeing and log on mfp. Then ill have breakfast and coffee (which TMI can trigger a BM) and weigh again then be pissed i logged on mfp already bc i weigh less! LMAO