Ab workouts

Options
Burrr3Three
Burrr3Three Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a pretty good understanding of how to tone up everything except for the abdominal area... I feel like it's not even possible :( so if anyone has tamed the tummy I would love to hear what exercises you did, workouts you did, dvd programs, etc. Before and after pictures would be appreciated too. I just really want to get my abdominal area under control, it's my real problem area. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You will see the best gains through a healthy diet.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. As you lose fat from all over, your stomach muscles will come out :smiley:
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. As you lose fat from all over, your stomach muscles will come out :smiley:

This.
    You will see the best gains through a healthy diet.

Yup, abs are born in the kitchen.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I found the quickest way to tone my abs was with Pilates, pure core trainig. I saw a difference in 2 weeks.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You have to lose weight but the body looses weight like a sponge, you can't control where it comes from. But if you want a shape you have to put a muscle there.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Taking this from a strength and fitness position there are a few things to consider. First is that practically everything you do from daily activities to exercise revolves around your core muscles in the abdomen, including the facia abdominals everyone wants so bad. So those muscles are worked by every exercise you do, from running to lifting. So short of an actual problem requiring corrective measures you don't need to do ab specific exercises. Second is the potential harm that can come from certain ab centric exercises like sit-ups and crunches. I don't necessarily believe they are the worst thing in the world, just that they are not really needed. Third, the best way to work those abs is through complex movements like dead lifts squats lunges even bench presses. All those and more absolutely depend on solid core muscles and will through necessity develop them. If as others assume your goal is to target abdominal fat they are correct, that is not possible. However strong abs and other core muscles will improve both your overall strength and health but also potentially improve posture resulting in a better looking belly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I barely do anything with my abs since there is still fat there and I assume I'm hitting them well with my compound lifts anyway. Hanging leg raises once a week for funsies. But really I'm in a deficit still so we shall see what's there after I lose these last 5 pounds.
  • Burrr3Three
    Burrr3Three Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always hear of others targeting specific areas and it seems to work for them, but maybe that's not true. Ahh soo disappointing :( I just want to be able to wear jeans comfortably again.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always hear of others targeting specific areas and it seems to work for them, but maybe that's not true. Ahh soo disappointing :( I just want to be able to wear jeans comfortably again.

You can't target fat but you can target muscles. Larger muscles will show easier through a given amount of fat. Even at 265 several weeks ago I enjoyed having a defined two pack, the upper two portions of the coveted six pack. But I simply have fairly large abdominals. You can go for hypertrophy if aesthetics mean enough to you but I would recommend maintaining a deficit to reach a healthy goal and exercise to develop a functionally strong body and see what results you get. I think you will be pleased but if you want to tweak something here or there you will be in a better position to add another facet to your goals down the line.
  • cbdninja
    cbdninja Posts: 7
    Options
    I do a ton of pull ups and dips. Full body high intensity workouts are great on your core