Quitting smoking?

amfaery
amfaery Posts: 267 Member
edited 6:18AM in Motivation and Support
Anyone else out there trying to quit smoking currently?

Replies

• I quit in november. I've slowly started back. Don't know why. Stupid...............
  • jennlco
    jennlco Posts: 17 Member
    I havent smoked since october 2010... !
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    my quit date is tomorrow xx
  • sunshinel397
    sunshinel397 Posts: 206 Member
    I have been trying to fully quit for a couple of years. Usually manage to not smoke most of the time, but find if I go out for drinks with my friends I end up smoking.
    Right now I currently do not smoke, but it is hard! Best of luck to you!
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    I quit about a year ago when I first met my honey. Luckily, I haven't had the desire to since and the times I've had the desire, one drag reminded me how gross it was.
  • Willowy_Jen
    Willowy_Jen Posts: 40 Member
    Instead of quitting I switched to ecigs. I can quit for a few months then I just pick it back up again for some odd reason.
    The ecigs come in different nicotine levels so that you can start with the strong to make the switch and still get your fix. Then as you choose you can lower the nicotine levels till you are at no nicotine and still smoking the ecig. Then the last thing to ditch at that point is the vapor :P
  • Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    I've smoked for at least 10 years - quit a couple years ago using the Chantix stuff. Worked great! I didn't have a cigarette for over 8 months - then I went out and partied hard one night - thought I could have "just one" which after a good night of drinking turned into "just ten"

Then I didn't smoke all week - thought I broke the addition. Got the chance to go out again the following weekend - had a few more cigs while drinking. It was history after that - started smoking again.

Then I figured I was going to quit again - got Chantix again but this time around something must have changed with their formula. The first time around it was 90 bucks for the starter pack. The 2nd time around it was only 60 bucks.

The 2nd time around - I thought I was losing my mind. I was extremely aggressive and short tempered. To the point that I was scaring myself because I'm pretty laid back. I quit taking it immediately and continued smoking.

Since I had put on about 20lbs last time I tried to quit smoking - (mainly because I was using candy to help with cravings) so I'm going to get a good foundation on this atkins program my wife and I are doing - then quit again after I'm down 50 lbs.

This time, I know I can't cheat and have a cigarette. Once I break the addiction again - I'm done with them forever.
    They're like Lay's Potato chips - "can't have just one!"
  • jennlco

Only Cigs kill you and you can die an early slow and painful death .... ! It was a pretty simple way to look at it from my point of view. I didnt want to die early.
  • Willowy_Jen
    Willowy_Jen Posts: 40 Member
    [/quote]

Only Cigs kill you and you can die an early slow and painful death .... ! It was a pretty simple way to look at it from my point of view. I didnt want to die early.
    [/quote]

Obviously you have never smoked or enjoyed smoking. Smokers know the risks they know the death they will have... We are well aware and still make the choice to smoke because we enjoy it for one reason or another. For someone addicted to smoking, its just not as simple as that to quit.
  • amfaery
    I've smoked for at least 10 years - quit a couple years ago using the Chantix stuff. Worked great! I didn't have a cigarette for over 8 months - then I went out and partied hard one night - thought I could have "just one" which after a good night of drinking turned into "just ten"

Then I didn't smoke all week - thought I broke the addition. Got the chance to go out again the following weekend - had a few more cigs while drinking. It was history after that - started smoking again.

Then I figured I was going to quit again - got Chantix again but this time around something must have changed with their formula. The first time around it was 90 bucks for the starter pack. The 2nd time around it was only 60 bucks.

The 2nd time around - I thought I was losing my mind. I was extremely aggressive and short tempered. To the point that I was scaring myself because I'm pretty laid back. I quit taking it immediately and continued smoking.

Since I had put on about 20lbs last time I tried to quit smoking - (mainly because I was using candy to help with cravings) so I'm going to get a good foundation on this atkins program my wife and I are doing - then quit again after I'm down 50 lbs.

This time, I know I can't cheat and have a cigarette. Once I break the addiction again - I'm done with them forever.

The same thing happened to me about 1.5 years ago used Chantix and quit then started again, tried Chantix again and I was a maniac! My firend was using it at the same time and we would call eacxh other when we having "Chantix rage" moments.
  • amfaery

[/quote]

Obviously you have never smoked or enjoyed smoking. Smokers know the risks they know the death they will have... We are well aware and still make the choice to smoke because we enjoy it for one reason or another. For someone addicted to smoking, its just not as simple as that to quit.
    [/quote]

That is true I know the health risks both my grandparents died of lung cancer as well, I am highly educated also. But smoking is such an addiction for me! Ihave an ecig, I think I will get more cartridges and try again.......

For others who are trying to quit I talked to my doctor about quitting to get some advice he was saying that resreach recently is showing people have been successful using the nictine patch and the commit lozenges combined. He said the full strength patch for 2 weeks then drop down and for really bad moments a lozenge every few hours to start.

I am goig to keep trying I know I can do it both times I was pregnant the minute I found out I threw them away cold turkey but always went back a year later..... I am so frustrated!!!!
  • snowdancer
    snowdancer Posts: 6
    I am a smoker and would love to quit. I do well for a few days and then bam...I am hoping with MyfittnessPal that I can get myself moviated on weight loss and fitness and then give them up...Especially since the state of Maine is considering adding a 1.50 tax more on a pack of cigs...Wish me luck....:smile:
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    I pass this on for what it is worth.
    There was a bit of an old guru in my life. He reckoned you can't just quit smoking. Willpower won't do it.

He had a meditation / visualisation technique. If you want to give up smoking you have to set a date, say, in one month's time. During the intervening month you meditate and see yourself as a non-smoker. You won't permanently give up unless you ARE a non-smoker. It worked for quite a few people I knew.
  • jennlco

[/quote]

[/quote]

I posted earlier I havent smoked since 2010. I smoked for 10 years before that. I lost my dad to lung cancer. I lost other family members to smoking related issues. I enjoyed smoking. and yes it is that simple for some. I quit cold turkey. Because I didnt want to smoke anymore.
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    My 5th day smoke free (well did have 1 or 2 at the weekend). Feel more positive today .
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    The thing that helped me quit was that I can't get my cigarettes anymore - I used to smoke cloves. They're not legal in the US anymore because apparently they're too appealing to kids. (Huh what?) At any rate, it's probably better in the long run for a number of reasons, my health included. :)
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member

The same thing happened to me about 1.5 years ago used Chantix and quit then started again, tried Chantix again and I was a maniac! My firend was using it at the same time and we would call eacxh other when we having "Chantix rage" moments.

I am guessing I am an oddball. I used Chantix two different times...first time I ended up dating someone that smoked after not smoking for eight months and slowly got back to it. Well I started taking Chantix again last July and have not smoked since. No problems with it. I think I just told myself that it was the Chantix causing the mood swings. I will not make the same mistake this time. It has almost been a year without smoking. Not going back......IF I do, I expect someone to kick me in the *kitten*.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    I have tried quitting, Quit when I was preggo and picked it back up about 3 months after having my daughter. it sucks, and doesnt help my hubby smokes too.. I am thinking when i get down to 180lbs I will start on that next challenge. One challenge at a time for me
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Today marks my first week of not smoking. I'm using the nicorette gum and it's working well. I have been a smoker for 9 years and just thought one day 'I need to quit before these things really take a tole on my body'. Surprisingly it has been kind of easy so far but I haven't come across any obstacles yet. My fiance doesn't smoke so I'm not around it. My biggest test will be when I go out and have a drink with my friends. That was my favorite time to smoke.
This discussion has been closed.