Need new recipes!!!

Options
I am not the best cook and don't have the $$ to follow some healthy meal plans that I find online because they have so many ingredients. Please help!!! Easy recipes that make great meals would be appreciated :)

Replies

• lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I never new how to cook either but I found the hungry girl cooks books . perfect for dieting . check them out at library or go online to hungrygirl.com she has tons of recipes and they yummy
  • jennawainschel1
    Options
    Awesome thank you!
  • DolceDeeFit
    Options
    My basic ingredients for baking my chicken, tilapia ect are lemon, fresh basil, yellow or red peppers, ground pepper, fresh oregano, dr. Braggs liquid amino, and any of ms. Dash or flavor gods mixtures. All affordable and full of flavor without using any salt. Hope that helps! Plus I'll be adding my recipes on her soon
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just made stuffed peppers with lean ground beef and substituted shredded zucchini and chopped mushrooms for the rice, topped with low sodium canned tomato sauce. It's a really cheap meal, around $10 with 4 servings. You could substitute veggies with quinoa or use brown rice if not concerned about having carbs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It occurred to me that people get sucked in to some of these trending complicated recipes because the recipes typically promote the product of the hour and fancy ingredients. But simple substitutions can make them manageable and budget friendly.

Some staples to have on hand include canned tomatoes, cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup. Bullion cubes. Garlic and onion. A variety of spices.

Hubby asked for Rachael Ray's five ingredient low carb pizza, where chicken was the crust.

I didn't have fennel so I crushed caraway instead. No pepper flakes, so I diced some pickled peppers. I had regular Roma tomatoes instead of cherries. I had pre-cooked dark chicken meat so I used that instead of butterflied chicken breasts. The mound of mozzarella cheese hid a lot of my changes, LOL.

My big pet peeve for this recipe is it used nearly every cooking implement I had including my George Foreman grill, a frying pan for the sauce (delicious by the way), and my oven to finish grilling the cheese.

I said all that to suggest instead of trying to find healthy recipes, buy your bargain ingredients then find a recipe to match. I google my ingredients and add "recipe". You can make any recipe healthier by substituting or limiting fats and salt.
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe blog and the newest 15 recipes are low carb/low fat/high protein recipes. I have step-by-step pictures too! I have about 8 new ones to post and more on the way!

https://facebook.com/thefoodistachronicles
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Chicken is normally affordable and very versatile.

Beans are cheap and make for great meals such as veggie chili or mashed to make bean burritos.

Bulk pasta up with vegetables.

Eggs are cheap. You can do omelets, frittatas, egg salad, etc.

Instead of frying, bake, roast or grill.

Sliced zucchini, yellow squash, brussel sprouts, carrots, etc are awesome roasted.

I think simple is better option. Lean protein such as chicken with roasted or steamed veggies.