How bad is sugar free gum for you?

Options
I chew about 1 pack of sugar free gum on 4 or 5 days out of the week. I use it to keep my mouth occupied between meals and as an occupation when boredom strikes, chewing multiple pieces at a time. Is this bad for my health?

Replies

• SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Nope, chewing gum regularly is not bad for your health. Lots of people find it an effective way of keeping their mouths 'occupied' so they don't snack, or smoke. If you're doing it to the point of often making your jaw physically ache, I'd cut back, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
  • lexlowe
    lexlowe Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Gum is basically synthetic rubber, but I've never found anything that states it is bad for you. Sugar-free gum is supposed to reduce plaque and cavities.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    toxic
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It gives me gas. :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Nup nothing wrong with it.
    Just remember 'sugarfree' does not necessarily mean calorie free so don't forget to count them (some pieces are 5 calories each which can add up).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    avaapple99 wrote: »
    I chew about 1 pack of sugar free gum on 4 or 5 days out of the week. I use it to keep my mouth occupied between meals and as an occupation when boredom strikes, chewing multiple pieces at a time. Is this bad for my health?

OMG, yes.

It will eventually kill you.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is okay
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been chewing it for 20+ years. No issues so far.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you, but it's one of the worst things to look at or listen to someone else doing
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I think it depends on the type. My dental hygienist actually recommended gum with xylitol in it such as trident or spry.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I think it depends on the type. My dental hygienist actually recommended gum with xylitol in it such as trident or spry.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you, but it's one of the worst things to look at or listen to someone else doing

Yes. For this reason alone, you should stop. Listening to someone snap their gum makes me want to take a hostage.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    toxic

Yup. A sure way to an early grave! It will KILL you!

(No really it's perfectly fine....)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

OMG, yes.

frabz-What-you-did-there-I-see-it-32d1f4.jpg[img][/img]
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It gives me gas. :)

Same if I chew more than a couple pieces in a day. And painful bloating.
  • ceashwo
    ceashwo Posts: 2
    Options
    The only possibly bad thing would be the sugar alcohols, they're a non nutritive sweetener, like splenda or sweet and low. Basically some people can get diarrhea if they consume too much, but if you don't have this problem then I wouldn't worry about it
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yep! If you do it, chew it discreetly and not like a cow chewing cud lol
  • verapal
    verapal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    lexlowe wrote: »
    Gum is basically synthetic rubber, but I've never found anything that states it is bad for you. Sugar-free gum is supposed to reduce plaque and cavities.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am an orbit gum addict. I was elated to find out they had reduced the calories from around 5 per piece to 3. But it still can add up when you chew it like me. It gives me horrible gas and bloating but keeps my breath fresh and my mouth occupied. I think I suffered from boredom eating. It eliminates that. I love Peppermint flavor. I worry about whether there is a "too much". As an experiment, last week I didn't chew gum at all. My breath was yucky but I wasn't bloated and I was more "regular" (sorry if TMI). I think I will definitely cut back and limit to a few pieces a day.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

OMG, yes.

frabz-What-you-did-there-I-see-it-32d1f4.jpg[img][/img]

OMG :scream::cry: :cry:

(I have a thing about eyes...)