30 Day Shred= 37 Calorie burn?!?!?!

Options
OOOOKAAAYYYY.... Tried out my HRM this morning. Its not a fancy shmancy one, it was $30, the brand in Sportline. I put in my age (25) and sex (Female) and started my regular 30 day Shred, I am on day 4 of level 1. By the time I was done, it said I had burned 37 calories total!! (That is including the cool down) :noway:

:noway: :noway: :noway: WHAAATTTT??????:noway: :noway: :noway:

Is that possible??? I used this same HRM the day I got it, forgot that I need to set up a personal profie, and on the same work out, it said I had burned over 300 calories

I'm thinking I need a new HRM? Or is it really possible that is all I burned? I was sweating my butt off!

PLEASE HELP!!! :sad:

Replies

• breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    does it have a chest strap? If not take it back. I burn around 300 calories on 30day shred. I have sportline 1025 duo and love it
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Bad HRM definitely! You would burn more than that laying on the floor for 20 minutes!!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I burn roughly 200ish calories doing the 30DS! I'd say there's an issue with the HRM!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    OOOOKAAAYYYY.... Tried out my HRM this morning. Its not a fancy shmancy one, it was $30, the brand in Sportline. I put in my age (25) and sex (Female) and started my regular 30 day Shred, I am on day 4 of level 1. By the time I was done, it said I had burned 37 calories total!! (That is including the cool down) :noway:

Is that possible??? I used this same HRM the day I got it, forgot that I need to set up a personal profie, and on the same work out, it said I had burned over 300 calories

I'm thinking I need a new HRM? Or is it really possible that is all I burned? I was sweating my butt off!

definitely get yourself one with a chest strap. I have Polar FT4 and it is awesome, it was about £60 but it was well worth paying a little extra, it is als waterproof but really doesn't react well with chlorine. I usually burn between 250-300 cals when doing the 30DS so your HRM is definitely not giving you the correct figure. What is it showing your heart rate as (approx) during the workout. During the cardio sections (jumping jacks etc) my heart rate can go up to 180. Good luck, don't be down about it though YOU'RE not doing anything wrong!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I've also had issues with Sportline HRMs... I took it back and bought a Polar. Buuuuut that's just my opinion, because other people have had good luck! :happy:
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Yeah, if yours does not have a chest strap, get one that does. I bought mine at WalMart...like 45 bucks and it is wonderful. I did not want to invest in a really expensive one just yet...but this one is great.

And, depending on your fitness level, at your weight I would guess you would be burning closer to 200 calories. I burn about that and I weigh about 10 pounds more than you. So, yeah, I think it may be the HRM.

Good Luck, and happy shredding. I LOVE that workout!!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have a watch like sportline and it works perfectly fine for me.
    Dumb question but did you actually take your heart rate with it? With mine, I have to take my HR with my 2 fingers on the watch.. takes a few seconds but at the same time, I've found that it gets an extremely accurate reading. I did the shred yesterday and took my heart rate before it started, again after the warm-up, and then a couple more times during the workout.. I'm able to do it while Jillian Michaels is chatting away or while I'm getting up from being on the mat.

If you don't take your HR before the workout, it isn't going to count the calories correctly.. And if you only take your HR once, the watch will stay at the same HR you recorded that one time, no matter how much higher your heart rate got while exercising.

Does this make sense?\

Basically if you have a watch HRM, you have to take consistent readings with it in order for your HR to be correct and to show how many calories you REALLY burned.

Everyone goes on and on about ones with chest straps and that's fine.. I'm sure they are the most accurate but not everyone can afford those. As long as you use the watch ones correctly (taking your HR consistently) you'll get an accurate calories burned reading!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I agree: Take it back! I had one of the Mio HRM without a chest strap. Then I upgraded to a Polar FT4. It is much more accurate, and keeps a constant check on my HR.

Now, I love Jillian's 30 Day Shred! In the 25 minutes of each level, I burn around 200 calories. Some of the burn is based on your weight and your fitness level. I burned more when I first started it last fall.

Don't be discouraged by the low number on your HRM today! Remember that you could burn 37 calories laying in bed for about a half hour! There's no way that's an accurate number.
  • Nelly711
    Nelly711 Posts: 52
    Options
    I'd definately say get one with a Chest Strap. My first HRM didn't have the chest strap, and I would burn more calories handwashing dishes than doing 45 minutes of Kenpo X on P90X!!!

Mine is the Sportline DUO 1010, I don't have any problems with it either. It was pretty cheap.

When I do the 30 DS, I burn close to 300 cals, so you definately need to get a new HRM!!!!
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a watch like sportline and it works perfectly fine for me.
    Dumb question but did you actually take your heart rate with it? With mine, I have to take my HR with my 2 fingers on the watch.. takes a few seconds but at the same time, I've found that it gets an extremely accurate reading. I did the shred yesterday and took my heart rate before it started, again after the warm-up, and then a couple more times during the workout.. I'm able to do it while Jillian Michaels is chatting away or while I'm getting up from being on the mat.

If you don't take your HR before the workout, it isn't going to count the calories correctly.. And if you only take your HR once, the watch will stay at the same HR you recorded that one time, no matter how much higher your heart rate got while exercising.

Does this make sense?\

I agree completely!! I have the Mio Motiva Petite (watch style). You just have to take your HR regularly throughout the work out, after an increase or decrease in activity. Ive had no problems with mine!! I had to re-read the directions a few times to understand what I needed to do! Im sure the chest straps have the convenience of not having to check HR throughout the workout but I think the watch style works just as well if you do it correctly. Good luck on your weight loss journey!!! ;o)
    Basically if you have a watch HRM, you have to take consistent readings with it in order for your HR to be correct and to show how many calories you REALLY burned.

Everyone goes on and on about ones with chest straps and that's fine.. I'm sure they are the most accurate but not everyone can afford those. As long as you use the watch ones correctly (taking your HR consistently) you'll get an accurate calories burned reading!
  • Pakitalian85
    Pakitalian85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the feedback. I am definately going to be buying a new one. I know my concerned seemed silly, but I am trying to be compeletly serious about my workouts. Thank you all for your support... the feedback was needed!