Does anyone else cry when they hear 'Burpees'

Options
At 21 and my highest weight of 220lbs I took up the challenge to change to a healthy lifestyle that wasn't just a crash diet. I started doing exercise properly but really struggle getting down and back up off the floor (The girl in the video makes it look so easy!)

Is this something I should be able to do straight away? Do other people struggle with this? Most f the time If I see a workout video and it has burpees in it, it's quickly closed and I move onto something that I CAN do, but should I be trying? Also, I only seem to be able to do short 5-10 minute videos in little spurts (one after another), anything more than 10 minutes puts me off, is this normal?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I tried videos. I tried just cardio. I couldn't stick to either.

They key to success is to do something you enjoy. You may have to add in other things you don't enjoy as much depending on your goals. I fell in love with lifting and have had great success. I don't do burpees. If I need some sort of cardio I'll run or do barbell complexes.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I LOVE burpees, they make me smile. Usmcmp is right, find things you enjoy but you may have to suck it up with other things depending on your goals.

Edited to add: to answer your other question, it is a tough workout and you need to be able to do them properly to avoid injury. If this is something you want to do, I would suggest either building up your fitness level & core strength first or do modified beginner style burpees where you step your feet into position one at a time (instead of jumping back & then forward you would walk into it). Stay safe!
  • lemoney2
    lemoney2 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know a lot of people who hate burpees, so that's completely normal. If you don't like them you don't have to try them, there are plenty of other exercises.
    Another option is to do an easier version until you get used to it. For instance, instead of kicking your legs back, you can step them back one at a time. You could also eliminate the jump when you stand back up. I would recommend looking up "easy burpees" or "beginner burpee" on youtube.
    I think it's normal not to be able to do too much if you're a beginner, but don't let that discourage you. If you keep at it, it will only get easier. Like I said, there are usually less intense versions of every exercise, so it helps to do those first until you feel like you can handle more. Keeping in mind that it could take a few months.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love/hate me some burpees.
  • nhall2186
    Options
    Hate burpees! Did 5..said no way...found other exercises that work just as well without tears ☺
  • jessa271
    jessa271 Posts: 67
    Options
    Burpees are rough, especially when you're not used to them. Start my making it low impact. Take out the jump at the end. When you put your hands down, step one foot back, then the other, then step them back in and stand up. When you can do those quickly and without hurting, then you can try adding a regular burpee or 2 at the beginning of the set. They really do get easier, but if you try too much too soon, you just feel defeated and quit altogether. I used to cry when I watched other people do them. Now, they're no sweat. Trust me, if I could get over my aversion, you can too!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My derby team calls burpees barfies because you want to throw up when you are done :P
    But yes, they are hard. Definitely work up to it.
    We do them on roller skates. I have never felt so uncoordinate in my life!
  • kazaargrandcru
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    My derby team calls burpees barfies because you want to throw up when you are done :P
    But yes, they are hard. Definitely work up to it.
    We do them on roller skates. I have never felt so uncoordinate in my life!

Oooh yeah!!! I totally had to hold it back a few times haha
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost my big toe nail to burpees last summer. It took 7 months to grow back. My tip is to stop when your form starts to fail. Don't get sloppy.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have gotten to the point in myfitness where burpees and jumping jacks are a welcome break from the hard stuff :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. Too much cardio for me.
  • kazaargrandcru
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    I have gotten to the point in myfitness where burpees and jumping jacks are a welcome break from the hard stuff :)

Up yours!!! JK
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »

Up yours!!! JK

lol
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees. I have to do them in my circuit training to prepare for the tough mudder. I can do like 7 before nearly dying, but I'm supposed to be able to do 2 whole mins of them! So I do as many as I can, take a break, then can usually only do 3-4 in a row before needing another break and so on.
  • sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don,t like full burpees, still too heavy for a full one, but I step one foot then the other into them, but I do the 2 feet back in and the hop up in the end too, so almost a full one. I have a lot of weight in my butt and hips, so when that comes down further I,ll be doing full burpees.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Burpees are an incredibly advanced exercise and definitely something that you shouldn't do as a beginner straight away. The problem that I have with burpees is that a lot of people lack the mobilty, cardio fitness and strength to do them well in the first place. Have a look around at your average boot camp class doing burpees and I guaratee you'll see 90% of people doing them with terrible form.

I'm pretty fit and it took me soooo long to realise why I hate burpees so much. I have terrible hip, ankle and hamstring mobility/flexibilty and physically find it hard to do the movement without stressing my lower back.

OP - why not break it down into the componants and practise getting good at those first. Squat jumps or thrusters could be a better options. Or, just avoid them alltogether. There's plenty of other stuff you could do more safely.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Curious if anyone on here can show me links to poor form and correct form? I think I'm doing them right, but obviously can't see myself...
  • FredMikmik
    FredMikmik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    No way I'm 130 lbs and I still cry everytime my PE teacher makes us do them hehe
    But maybe do jumping jacks and push ups to help you do the burners better or squat jumps :)
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I hate them. Can I do them? Yes. Do I enjoy them? No. And the way I see it, there are plenty of exercises out there, and doing burpees is not the only way to achieve health/fitness, so...I usually just do something else in their place. Occasionally I'll still do them, but my heart isn't in it, so it's probably not worth doing them anyway.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I might be too uncoordinated for burpees. I have tried them - and will probably try again, but it ain't pretty.

Advice to self (that I don't follow): keep trying them - muscle memory might make them easier