Confused with banana calories

Options
00mid
00mid Posts: 79 Member
I weighed my banana WITH skin as 130g, how many calories would be in this? Thanks :)

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You don't eat the skin, do you?! So, weight it without it.
  • 00mid
    00mid Posts: 79 Member
    Options

No,but I'm weighing at at home as I won't have access to scales in work.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You could always keep the skin in a zip-loc bag, take it home and weigh the skin on it's own. Then just subtract that from 130g, and it will leave you with your banana weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bio_fit wrote: »
    You could always keep the skin in a zip-loc bag, take it home and weigh the skin on it's own. Then just subtract that from 130g, and it will leave you with your banana weight.

:laugh:
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I peel the banana at home weigh it and then take it with me in a zip lock bag. It didn't get brown when I ate it several hours later...
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bio_fit wrote: »

I do this with avocado.

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »

No,but I'm weighing at at home as I won't have access to scales in work.

Can't u just peel the banana, weight it , cut it and put it in lunch box (or make fruit salad with other fruits) ???
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is one complicated banana.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    just use approximation sometimes. guesstimate (or actually measure) how long the banana is and look up the calories for different sizes of bananas to get a rough estimation. you get to a point eventually where you can pretty much guess & determine how many cals are in a piece of fruit judging from the size. it helps for those times when you're on the go or without a scale.

130 grams of banana with a peel sounds like it would be small to medium sized banana, so you're probably looking at 90-130 calories. is there any reason you weighed it with the skin on? you only need to measure the parts you eat!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is one complicated banana.

hehehe, I was thinking the same thing.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol omg. It's a banana. 105 calories. Done.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with hard boiled eggs. I just log everything as 'large' :)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Yea, there's even a full selection in the MFP database by both weight and general size to get a good close guess. Small banana (inches/size listed), Medium (inches/size listed), Large (inches/size listed) and weight in grams, maybe even ounces too. I log each one as 90-110 generally depending on if it's medium or large. I don't think one banana is gonna ruin anyone's calorie goals in reality.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm confused why you would even weigh the skin?

When you prep meat, do you also weigh the crock-pot / skillet / pan? Equivalent of what you did with that there nanner, man.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I just weigh the banana with the skin and log that. What's the downside? So I'm eating fewer calories than I've logged - so what?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I just weigh the banana with the skin and log that. What's the downside? So I'm eating fewer calories than I've logged - so what?

Because getting more of an accurate amount will let you eat MORE throughout the day. If I just added an extra 20-30 calories on everything I ate that would take up a good bit of calories I'm missing out on, while still being in a caloric deficit. It's idiotic...
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

That works for me and the listing I use. I guess sometimes it's a 104 calorie nana and sometimes it's 106 but it all evens itself out ;-)

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    00mid wrote: »
    I weighed my banana WITH skin as 130g, how many calories would be in this? Thanks :)

The USDA says that bananas are 36% refuse (skin, in this case). 130g*(1-.36) ~83g. That would be a 74 calorie banana. To sanity check, your banana should be less than 6" long. Exactly where/how you measure a banana is a topic for another post. ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If this poster asked for help because they weren't losing weight, and they logged a "medium banana", this would be used as an example of how they aren't logging properly because they aren't weighing everything. So why now are people making fun of them for asking how to exactly weigh a banana???

OP, one of the reasons I love bananas is that I can just throw them in my bag and not worry about a Ziploc or bowl or anything like that. If you want to be really exact, you could bring the skin home and weigh it later to subtract from the total weight. Or maybe do that a few times and see if you can get an average weight of the skin and then always subtract that amount. Or just log the whole weight. You don't want to do that sort of thing with a lot of foods, but it certainly won't hurt if you are just over-logging your banana everyday!

It's great to pay attention to the details, but there is a fine line between paying attention to the details and getting overwhelmed/obsessed with them, so just make sure you don't cross that line :drinker: Good luck!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    I have the same problem with hard boiled eggs. I just log everything as 'large' :)

Yeah I've seen some people say they weigh their eggs. No, not gonna do it. That's a little much for me. I do weigh nearly everything else, but not eggs. lol