Building Muscle (Ectomorph)

megablackk1d
megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Whats the best rep range for muscle growth (1-5) or 6-12) Can you build quality muscle using heavy weight and low reps or lighter weights you can get up to 6 to 12 reps?

Replies

• Lighter weight with high reps gets you cut, tones and definition. Heavy weights with low reps build strength and also builds muscle.
  • megablackk1d
    Hey thanks for the input today's upper body day and I finally got my standing shoulder press up to 115, but there is now way I can pull that for 8 to 10 reps. I can do 100x5 max on a good day anything below that I can get 8. So should I use what's heavy for me with good form to build muscle.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Since you have to ask, get on a proven program aligned to your goals and eat at a surplus to gain weight. The program will dictate your rep range and weigh %(s), etc... till you attain some more knowledge from the program itself and general hypertrophy based training.
  • megablackk1d
    Oh I got my nutrition in check and have been lifting for a while. I was just asking what is the best rep range for muscle growth?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    6-8 for hyptertrophy
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Other people can give you a better answer about ideal rep ranges, I just wanted to note that somatotypes and constitutional psychology (ectomorph) is a discredited theory, pop-psych rubbish.

My husband and I both did StrongLifts, which is heavy weights, 5X5. He made some sick gains. I dropped to 5X3 because I was/am cutting.
  • megablackk1d
    5x5 I have read that article, and is it great for building significant amount of muscle better than 6 to 8 or 8 to 12
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    5x5 I have read that article, and is it great for building significant amount of muscle better than 6 to 8 or 8 to 12

I will just say to have muscle growth what do you need.

Calorie surplus and time under tension.
  • megablackk1d
    Other people can give you a better answer about ideal rep ranges, I just wanted to note that somatotypes and constitutional psychology (ectomorph) is a discredited theory, pop-psych rubbish.

My husband and I both did StrongLifts, which is heavy weights, 5X5. He made some sick gains. I dropped to 5X3 because I was/am cutting.

• megablackk1d
    Alight thanks guys
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    6-8 for hyptertrophy

Nope, 10-12 for hypertrophy. 6-8 is still close enough to strength focused training that you won't get the type of size gains you can with higher reps. That is a good middle ground though for functional strength and some mass if that's what one is looking for.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Eric Helms did a good piece on this.

For the long answer, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9SQ97rfyO4

The short answer: it doesn't matter. You need Calories and volume with enough intensity to stimulate growth. How you get that volume/intensity is basically up to you. But, seriously - watch the video.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2015
    TR0berts wrote: »

The short answer: it doesn't matter. You need Calories and volume with enough intensity to stimulate growth. How you get that volume/intensity is basically up to you. But, seriously - watch the video.

^This. That's why I mentioned to get on a good proven program as since you had to ask the question, you don't understand the basics.
    Also you can do a search for Brad Schoenfeld on additional research topic matter on this as this is what his doctorate is in.

• megablackk1d
    TR0berts wrote: »

Nice Vid, and thanks