Don't You Hate The Scale?!

Options
Everyone Is Looking For That Number, That Change. I Need The Willpower To Stay Off That Scale And Focus On My Workout And Diet. I Always Want To Weigh Myself Every Morning And Hope There's Some Drastic Change, But There Never Is. I'm Staying Off The Scale!!

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the scale - it's a tool that I use. I weigh myself every morning.

If it's not good for you mentally, you should switch to weekly or even monthly weigh in's.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the scale is not telling you anything other than a number. it is a useful number for anyone trying to get healthy and fit. it can tell you if you've been doing well, or if you are doing poorly.

the drastic change will not come until you do something about it, but putting the blinders on and not jumping on the scale is like saying you don't want to go to a doctor because they might give you bad news.
  • starrthighh
    Options
    What I'm trying to say is that I hate the scale when I AM seeing results
  • starrthighh
    Options
    I'm going to do it weekly and hope for the best!
  • starrthighh
    Options
    So true!! Thanks!
  • Tittan44
    Tittan44 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Use your scale as a guide... once a week or whenever you feel like cheating... for myself it is a good motivator
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love hating the scale. I enjoy laughing at it and giving it the finger when my clothes are falling off and my measurements are going down and the scale's barely budged.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    the scale is not telling you anything other than a number. it is a useful number for anyone trying to get healthy and fit. it can tell you if you've been doing well, or if you are doing poorly.

the drastic change will not come until you do something about it, but putting the blinders on and not jumping on the scale is like saying you don't want to go to a doctor because they might give you bad news.
    This!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I love my scale! It helps me stay focused. I just got one of those Withings wifi scales and it automatically transmits my weight, and body fat percentage to here for tracking. Good stuff.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I do not hate the scale. It is my friend. It offers objective information. It is up to me to interpret the results correctly. If I stall in weight loss or see a gain, I ask myself:

...did you consume a lot of sodium recently?
    Is it "that time of the month?"
    Have you...eliminated sufficiently (TMI I'm sure, sorry...)
    Were you accurate in logging this week? (Last week I learned I was accidentally logging 1/2 serving of yogurt for several days in a row instead of a full serving..a difference of nearly 90 calories per day...ooops...add that on top of actually going over my calories a bit for several days and that partially explained my lack of movement on the scale)

It's helpful to remember too that your body may not care that today is "weigh in day." It may decide to lose that weight three days later than the 7 day mark (which is why some advocate weighing in monthly instead of weekly or daily.) I'm too psycho to wait a month, I weigh several times a week, but "just to see." I don't let the numbers get me angry or depressed, just more determined to beat them.

When I stopped weighing myself on a regular basis...the weight came back. Fact.
  • buh_bye_flab
    buh_bye_flab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am one of those folks that gets way too obsessed with the number on the scale. If I see a small loss, I turn to bad habits like not eating well just to lose another pound, and another number of things that aren't good to do.

I've made it a point to listen to my body, be diligent about my food tracking, and exercise as much as my body will let me. I weigh myself every 3 weeks (a number that randomly coincided with doctors appointments) and I've seen great results! That's what is currently working for me. Try out everyone's opinions, then find what works best for you!