Confused with banana calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And so it begins: The banana controversy: To weigh or not to weigh with the skin.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    In for the 10 pager.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If this poster asked for help because they weren't losing weight, and they logged a "medium banana", this would be used as an example of how they aren't logging properly because they aren't weighing everything. So why now are people making fun of them for asking how to exactly weigh a banana???

Totally agree. Even bananas of the same apparent length can vary quite a bit in weight. I peel it, weigh it, log it, and stick it in a ziploc bag and put it in my lunch box. Done. I have never had a problem with it turning brown or yucky. I do not like to take apples with me for this reason - I don't know how much the core is gonna weigh, and I really don't want to bring it home later and weigh it..lol... and cutting them up ahead of time makes them turn brown later, which I don't like. I know they're okay but I still don't like it. So bananas I can do, apples I just have at home or log the entire weight of the apple core and all and just have a few extra calories to play with.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Is this a banana or an unripe plantain?

What specific type of banana is it? Donkey banana?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    And so it begins: The banana controversy: To weigh or not to weigh with the skin.

it's not really a controversy but a matter of convince and practicality.

The reality is- the food consumed alone should be weighed. I.E. no skin- so not a controversy.

Practically speaking -that's a PITA if you don't like the idea of peeling and then eating 4 hours later.

Personally if I needed to be that specific with my foods- I would have a food scale at work.
    Problem solved.

Otherwise- I best guess it and move on.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »

it is more like common sense ....if u are not going to eat it why weight it ??? just logic
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    I just weigh the banana with the skin and log that. What's the downside? So I'm eating fewer calories than I've logged - so what?

What's the point in logging anything at all, then? Surely accuracy is the intended outcome... so why wilfully do it wrong? Is this not the same as weighing your food without taking it out of the packaging?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with just guess, more calorie dense foods I weigh but a banana, 20g either way aint gonna make or break you
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Simple solution: Bring a food scale to work and leave it there!
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Lol omg. It's a banana. 105 calories. Done.

BOOM!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have never weighed my food... yeah, I said that. I've lost 70+ pounds while using MFP without weighed a single banana in almost 1 year of using this wonderful app. Why? as someone said, life is too short, and I just guesstimate the weight/size of the stuff. May be if I weighed my food I'd get better/faster results, but I really don't care to be that specific. I'm not saying "don't weigh your food". If it's worth it for you, if it works, go ahead and do it! I personally prefer the other way.

OP, weigh it without the skin at home. You will get a # you can use next time you log a banana of approximately the same size. If you can't weigh it @ work, then there is no way you will be extremely accurate with such banana, but you can log an approximate. If you don't care about it, use ziploc bags, or tupperware to take your peeled banana to work.

Have a wonderful day!
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The USDA database gives a "refuse" percentage for many foods which corresponds to the inedible portion. For bananas, it's 36%. Therefore, the edible fruit in the OP's 130 g banana is about 83.2 g. The edible portion of the banana, again from the USDA data, has a calorie content of 89 cal/100 g, so the OP's banana has 74 calories.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Lol omg. It's a banana. 105 calories. Done.

BOOM!

yeah a average banana is 100 calories give or take. this isnt exactally rocket science and a difference of 10-20 calories give or take is not gonna to make a difference in a long haul
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    re: cut up fruits turning brown:

To maintain "freshness", you can store pre-weighed, pre-cut, fruits in an air-tight container to which you add some (fresh) lemon or lime juice. Gently shake till all the cut-up fruit has come into contact with the ascorbic acid.