What is the secret to hard boiled eggs??

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Just a warning...
    A guy I work with dropped a cold egg in boiling water and it exploded leaving him with 3rd degree burns on his face. Very lucky his eyes were not hit. Since this accident, I always begin with my eggs in tepid water and bring to a boil.
    lulz.

Exploding eggs! Ermagerds.

No, an egg dropped into boiling water will crack, and the crack makes it look terrible. It won't explode though. I hope you didn't believe their story.

For the OP, a spoon has been helpful for me, using that to deshell the egg.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that if you put the eggs in a muffin tin and put them in the oven they peel super easy. Would have to google to see if you can find the temperatures, time in, etc. Never tried it. *shrug*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    What is the secret to peeling a hard boiled egg?? I suck at it. The egg white always wants to come apart with the shell. Is the secret in how you cook it? Do you put the eggs in already boiling water or cold water? So many different opinions on google!

I use a spoon and it works perfectly every time...

IMG_4512.JPG
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My son pokes a hole at the narrow end, blows in it, and then peels. Something he saw on YouTube, and it works about half the time.

Also, someone mentioned getting rid of the green ring - add some baking soda to the water and they never turn green or get the sulfur smell.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I bake mine in the oven, directly on the rack, at 325 for 25-30 minutes and then drop them in a bowl of water I had chilling in the freezer. I normally don't have many issues with peeling and they taste better this way. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The blowing egg trick never worked.

I have a rotational system in my fridge for eggs- buy the 2-3 dozen- use them for a week or two- and when I get down to the last dozen I buy a fresh pack- and then I boil the last of the old one.

Old eggs boil better.

Baking apparently is a way to go too- but too much work.

I put mine in cold/tepid water. Bring to a rolling boil- kill the heat- put a lid on- let sit for another 10-12 min.
    Put in cold water.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I read an article saying it's because new eggs are more acidic. Try adding a dash of baking soda to the boiling water if you must boil new eggs, as that's supposed to help balance it out and make them stick less. I've never done it myself, so if you try this let us know how it works.
  • bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Tap both on ends on the counter, then peel. Works most of the time for me.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    THIS is the secret! Perfect eggs, every time!

zoz5t73iip08.jpg
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    60 percent of the time, works every time.

Eggs are my nemeses.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Snip8241 wrote: »
    Use eggs that are not fresh. Here is how I do it
    Cover eggs with at least an inch of cold water.
    Cover and bring to a boil
    As soon as they boil turn off or remove from heat
    Cover and let sit for 10 minutes
    Pour off hot water and rinse in cold water so you can handle them to peel them
    Peel while warm. Start at the large end of the egg where there is a little pocket of air
    This cooking time prevents the yolk from being green.

this is exactly how I do it. Just made some last night with fresh eggs and had no issues peeling.

edit: I do have long/sharp fingernails which makes it very easy for me to peel.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I put baking soda in the water and that helps.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Not to be obnoxious or anything, but I'm bolding because this seriously works.

Steam them. It works every time.

Eggs in the store can be a month old (or older), so they peel no problem. Fresh eggs, not so much. I have laying hens, and I feel like I've tried everything out there. Steaming them is the only thing I've found that works 100% of the time. You can use a steaming basket, or one of those collapsible colander things in a pot. Steam them for 20-22 minutes (make sure you have enough water to last that long!). Run them under cold water first so you don't burn your hands when you peel them, and enjoy :)

Oh, just a tip, keep the water below the basket, because if the water is around the eggs it can crack them and they will pop out of the shell as they are steamed.
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are several WikiHow articles about hardboiling eggs and I've found them very helpful. Here's what I do. They turn out great every time. I use an electric stove top. This exact process won't work if you're cooking with gas.

TIP: Add vinegar and/or salt to the water before you heat it. They help to keep the egg from sticking to the shell. Try it once and you'll never go back.

1) Cover eggs with at least an inch of cold water. Add vinegar and/or salt.
    2) Put covered pot with eggs and cold water on the stove and start heating to bring to boil.
    3) Once the water is boiling, turn off the heat, but keep the pot on the burner for 12-14 minutes with the cover on.
    4) Then, run cold water over the eggs for about about a minute.
    5) Immediately store in refrigerator. They keep 3-5 days.

To peel, I press and roll lightly against the counter to put cracks in the shell. Then I run them under cool water as I peel.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I put a little salt in the water, put the eggs in and once it's boiling, remove the pot from heat, put a lid on it and let it sit for 20 mins. When I am ready to peel I'll run the eggs over cold water for a few minutes. It separates the membranes, making shell removal easier :)
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    the secret is in the cooling not the cooking. Some one further up said cool with ice and that is the best way. the little membrane right under the shell is the culprit for making egg peeling difficult. when you first crack the egg be patient in getting to the smooth part of the egg. once you get there it is perfect peeling every time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    What is the secret to peeling a hard boiled egg?? I suck at it. The egg white always wants to come apart with the shell. Is the secret in how you cook it? Do you put the eggs in already boiling water or cold water? So many different opinions on google!

1) Never boil an egg (this is how you get rubbery whites and a green ring around the yolk)
    2) Bring them to room temp then put in a pan and cover with cold water (1" over the eggs). Cover the pan and put on the stove. Heat just until the water starts to boil. Remove the pan and let sit for 15 minutes. Smash both ends of each egg and plunge in a cold water bath. crack the rest of the shell and it peels really easily
    3) The initial cracking of the ends of the egg seems to be the secret (Thanks Alton Brown!)

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hosru.gif

2010114171421366.jpg