Do you find it hard to get motivated on your own?

mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
If you do, then read on.

I learned that fear is the best motivator for losing weight. For many years I knew that extra weight was not good for my health but disregarded it. Never thought that “those things” would happen to me. Always was able to find justification why it was not a good time yet to do something about my extra weight.

Last May during annual physical, the doctor told me that the test showed something in my heart. That got my attention right away. Obesity was one of the risk factors, the doctor continued, and added that before we do anything else, I should lose weight. He proceeded by telling me what “anything else” could mean.

My friends, I got so motivated that I lost 46 lbs quickly. So quickly that I could not believe it was happening. It was the power of fear-generated motivation at work.

Those of you who don’t have weight related health issues yet, read what I am posting here and learn. You don’t want to wait with your weight losing efforts. Do it now, when your motivation is to get into smaller jeans, be able to wear bikini, or just want to look better. Good luck to all of you.

By the way, what motivates you?

Replies

• katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    I'm 24 and my blood pressure is already a tad high. Heart attacks are what got both my father and grandfather so I know that I have to get that back in control. Another thing that motivates me is my boyfriend losing 40 lbs. As of now he still weighs less than I do and I can't have that ;) But in seriousness I am doing it for health reasons. I only have this one body and I need to take care of it!
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Two years ago I decided to go back to school and get my nursing degree. Since then I have gained about 12 pounds so clothes don't fit anymore, my stomach hangs over my waistband (and I've never had that before and I don't like it) and the real alarm was that when I would walk up a few flights of stairs I would be very winded. I've always been a fit person and this really bothered me but my excuse was always that with school and family i don't have enough time to go to the gym. Since March I decided that even if I can go to the gym for 40 minutes that is better than nothing. As soon as I started seeing the pounds come off and clothes fitting better that was my motivation to keep going.
    I have now lost 8 pounds and I feel so much better.

Thanks everyone at MFP for all of your support =)
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Hi I a 39 Years old (my name is Olga) what motivated me was that I am sooooo sick and tired of looking fat everytime I look in the mirrow, Feeling aches everywere and when ever not that we go out alot but when we do I always complain that I don't have nothing to were b/c everything I try on I look fat. Also for the past month or so I have been having this pains and now they are doing test it could be my Gall Bladder and that has motivated me more to now really try my hardest to loose weight, I don't have to lose 20 pounds I have to loose 65 pounds I am short and petite so in order for me to look good and feel good I have to go down to at least 125lbs. I has been very hard I am have lost 5 pounds since I join MFP but all together since I stared my journey is 10lbs.

Thankz for sharing ur story with us and congrats in ur journey you doing great

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 1shep1
    1shep1 Posts: 24 Member
    I found something that motivates me. I am awarding myself $10 for every pound I lose. I watch that pile grow (at $150 today) and hoping to get over $1000 there so I can buy myself something really cool like an iPad or new clothes :) It's great motivation because even when I am doing something so mundane as banking I can see my progress and be incented to push forward.

I am also 39 years old and also was sick of this freaking stupid battle with clothes and the scale. I'm trying to find lots of little ways to motivate me to keep it fresh and fun.
This discussion has been closed.