Waldorf Chicken Wrap - Blog recipe on 3/1/2015

Options
mperron157
mperron157 Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Are you able to categorize your "healthy" recipes into the type of diet or reason it's healthy? To me, this is not healthy given the over 950 mg of sodium per serving.
Also, how does the sodium compare in rotisserie chicken vs. boiled or baked chicken without any added ingredients?
Thank you,
Michelle

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chickens are way saltier than chicken you would roast yourself. I can't give you numbers because I have no idea how much sodium is in the rotisserie chickens, but they taste very salty through and through. I only know that skinning, seasoning and roasting a couple of whole chickens to have during the week is cheaper and healthier than those glorified game hens you get at the grocery store. In a pinch, I might even use a can of Swanson's canned chicken breast, rinsed and drained well.

That recipe looks really good otherwise.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I know Walmart rotisserie chicken has the nutritional label on the tape they put over the lid/bottom. I can not remember the sodium, but yes it is higher than if you cooked raw chicken at home
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Rottiserie chicken is seasoned, which is generally salt based, and often stuffed - which usually contains salt too. Some are brined before cooking, again adding to the sodium.

But to a large number of people, sodium isn't a necessary consideration.
  • mperron157
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses. I'll have to look carefully at blog recipe nutritional values before considering whether they are "healthy" for me. This one is definitely not.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    that much sodium isn't a big deal unless you have a medical condition.

What's more important is how horridly insipid, uninspiring, and terrible that recipe is.

Someone got paid to post that drivel.
  • mperron157
    Options
    Sodium is a big factor for my congenital heart condition, which is the reason for my using MyFitnessPal. I am limited to 2000 mg per day. In my opinion, everyone needs to be watching sodium carefully. There is too much processed food and heavy sodium usage in restaurants.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    mperron157 wrote: »
    Sodium is a big factor for my congenital heart condition, which is the reason for my using MyFitnessPal. I am limited to 2000 mg per day. In my opinion, everyone needs to be watching sodium carefully. There is too much processed food and heavy sodium usage in restaurants.

Too much for you. Others do not need to pay as close attention as they don't have your same medical condition.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    mperron157 wrote: »
    I take in about 6gr daily, on non training days, more on training. My sodium level is at the lowest bound of the lab's testing range.

There is not enough sodium usage in food and restaurants.
  • mperron157
    Options
    Okay. Thank you. Everyone is different. Be well, all.