Gaining Muscle

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to gain more muscle?
When is the best time to take protein shakes? And do they help?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things and put them down. Make sure you are eating a good diet. Timing of protein shakes is one of the last things a new lifter should be thinking about.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What he said, also do you want strength specifically or are you wanting to develop size. You pickup heavy things either way but the specifics vary.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You will have to eat and lift a lot
    Good Luck!
  • vcarlin
    vcarlin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    What he said, also do you want strength specifically or are you wanting to develop size. You pickup heavy things either way but the specifics vary.
    I'm wanting to develop size. It seems that only a couple of parts in my body are developing muscle, and I would like to see that change in my butt as well. The Vitamin Shop recommended shakes, but I've never done shakes before so I wanted to see how well they work before I start taking them.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What you are wanting is hypertrophy, pick weights for your movements that you can just do 10-12 reps. 5 sets. Take your time with the reps, I like a 1-2 or a 1-2-3 count. That's higher than most strength regimes but your goal is time under load not moving the most weight. You will need a surplus of calories and higher protein helps to make gains. Expect lots of burn during your reps, that build up of lactic acid is a big part of what stimulates growth in size. Also realize that there is not a one to one relationship between size and strength, so don't feel that you have to push for greater weights unless the reps you are doing become noticeably easier. Remember, you want to be pushing your self for those last reps in each set. Adjust your weight accordingly.
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus, increase muscle time under tension, progressive overload.. THE END.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 22 pounds left to lose. Are you sure about wanting to develop size?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Go read Strong Curves, Strong Lifts, Starting Strength or the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Do not listen to the people at the vitamin shop.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't really matter other than meeting your macro goals. Get 1 gram of protein per lb of bw and meet your calorie goal.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its hard for women to develop size. lift weights, eat healthy and you'll firm up and get strong and look good.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Protein shakes are for when you're not making your protein goals through food.
  • amerasian1967
    Options
    I see a lot off ppl saying protein shakes aren't necessary. I find it very tough to get all of my protein requirements from just food and I imagine a lot of ppl have same problem. No matter where you get it, protein is important when it comes to building muscle.
    Myself I lift 4 times a week, concentrating mostly on compound lifts with heavy weights and low reps 6 -10, then every 5th week I change it up just for one week lowering the weight, raising reps 12-20 and add in more isolation movements.
    I also take creatine, glutamine, Bcaa's and a pre workout.