IIFYM!!

Options
Hi all, I really want to start eating according to my macros but I am not 100% sure of where to start. For those of you who use IIFYM, where did you start? I know bodybuilding.com has lots of info on it and I have started there but just wanted to see what else is out there. Thanks!

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    iifym.com

They have a calculator there that's pretty accurate.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Start with...

0.8g of protein per lb. of bodyweight
    0.35g of fat per lb. of bodyweight
    Fill the rest with carbs

Change it up as you go along for personal preference and compliance if needed.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started here http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ Then each day I preplan my meals. It is a tetris game. I have a general idea of what I plan to eat and make small changes until I'm within 5 grams of each macro. Most days I do well, other days I don't.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Calories are the most important. Macros can be adjusted to your specific goals and your bodies response to certain ratios. I would follow what @Cityruss stated to begin with.

As far as your calorie calculations, you can figure your TDEE with the following calc:

TDEE = BMR x Activity Level

BMR = [370 + (bodyweight in kg's x 21.6)]/100
    ** bodyweight in kg = bodyweight in lbs x 0.453**

Activity Level =
    1.3-1.4 Little activity (workout less than 3 times a week, with a sedentary lifestyle)
    1.5-1.6 Moderate activity (workout 3-5 times a week, with a desk job (1.5), or job with some light exercise (1.6).
    1.7-1.8 Active (workout 5+ times a week, active life outside of the gym)
    1.9 Superman/Superwoman (VERY ACTIVE, ALMOST ALWAYS MOVING, DO IT FOR A LIVING)

• sjohnson__1
    Options
    TDEE is the amount of calories (energy) you expend in a day (or what you should eat to maintain current weight). If your goal is to cut, start by reducing this amount by 20%. To gain, increase the amount by 20%.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    Also note:
    1 fat gram = 9 calories
    1 carb/protein gram = 4 calories

This helps when you're figuring out your macronutrients in grams.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is a concept, it's not a diet and it's not a website...there is no one-size fits all macro ratio...the "Y" (YOUR) in IIFYM is pretty important.

The concept is basically "flexible dieting"...meaning you don't have to go around demonizing certain macros and foods that make up those macros...you simply have particular macro goals and you hit those in addition to your calorie goals...so maybe you have some calories remaining at the end of the day and you haven't hit your carb goal...yeah...have some jelly beans.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Figure out your daily cals using any of the 100s of calculators online.

Then choose your macros. Recommended macros will usually involve a range, somewhere between minimum and ideal based on your goals. It's not always as black and white as people, websites, formulas, etc. suggest.

Speaking very generally, people should be aiming for -

fat: .25-.5g per lb of total body weight
    carbs: 1-3g per lb of total body weight
    protein: .75-1.5g per lb of lean body mass

Where you fall within those ranges should be dictated by things like personal preference, sustainability, performance, and goals.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    IIFYM is a concept, it's not a diet and it's not a website...there is no one-size fits all macro ratio...the "Y" (YOUR) in IIFYM is pretty important.

The concept is basically "flexible dieting"...meaning you don't have to go around demonizing certain macros and foods that make up those macros...you simply have particular macro goals and you hit those in addition to your calorie goals...so maybe you have some calories remaining at the end of the day and you haven't hit your carb goal...yeah...have some jelly beans.

Pretty much right on. Don't forget about your micronutrients! (aka, eat your veggies still!)