Advice needed please. Calorie goal 730. Can't be correct

Options
henmuffin
henmuffin Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi folks, I've put in my details to MFP. Current weight 161. Want to be 140. Aim to lose 2 pounds a week. It comes to calorie allowance of 730 a day. This can't be right as I will starve! What am I doing wrong please?

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    No - it's got to be a glitch. MFP bottoms out at 1200 calories. I would try again.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    First there seems to be a glitch as you should not receive a goal that low.

Second with 21 to lose, you should look at .5-1 pound per week. What this glitch tells you: is that you are not able to burn enough calories to reasonably expect to lose 2 per week. Its assuming 2 per week = 1000 deficit. So your daily + activity is 1730.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing anything wrong. There's a glitch in the MFP calculator. Aim to lose 0.5 to 1 pound a week and recalculate. You should not eat less than 1,200 calories a day (woman, I'm assuming).

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Note: a 161 pound body burns less energy than, for example, a 200 pound body...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Oh MFP, fixing this --- hope it's your priority.
  • henmuffin
    henmuffin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. I will adjust it following your advice x
  • MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Should probably consume between 1500-1700 calories a day. I'm 5'6... 201lbs and trying to get to 150lbs and I eat 1500 calories a day and am steadily losing weight.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was at this weight last year. I ate between 1450 and 1600 calories and lost down to 132 in about 10 months.

Had baby so now starting over ( currently 152) but you in no way need to go that low to lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    henmuffin wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've put in my details to MFP. Current weight 161. Want to be 140. Aim to lose 2 pounds a week. It comes to calorie allowance of 730 a day. This can't be right as I will starve! What am I doing wrong please?

161 less 140 = 21

A more realistic goal is 1 pound a week (sorry). Losing weight too quickly can result in a higher percentage of lean muscle loss than you (probably) want.

The MFP calorie estimator is a little broken (right now). MFP normally bottoms out at 1200 NET for women. If you put in 2 pounds it should have defaulted to 1200 (before exercise). Still not the 2 pounds you were looking for, just as low as it will go.

Look at a another calculator (Scooby's is one ) - TDEE is your maintenance. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Find that number and subtract 500 for 1 pound a week.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    This is a known bug impacting the last release of our iOS app. This bug will be fixed in the next release of the app (v5.10).

In the meantime if anyone who has this issue logs into the website, and updates their goals through settings it will fix the issue.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided