How to achieve high protein intake on vegan diet

Options
ell_v131
ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
Hi all, I'm helping my friend who is a vegan (+gluten free) with figuring out how to get high amounts of protein into her diet. Her goal is to have 100g protein in a 1500cal diet. She is starting to train hard ergo the increased needs. the 1500 cal is net, and is already at a deficit.

Of course we found what are some vegan sources of protein and googled recipes, but I would appreciate any real-life tips from experienced vegans, meal examples etc. The less prep the best of course as she has also started her own business so time is scarce :smile:

I didn't come here to discuss what protein needs she may or may not have, she has made the decision and with all the science out there, everyone still has a different opinion which i respect. She would just like to achieve this goal, and as I'm a meat eater, I am not of as much help as i'd like.

Thank you for your tips and input!

Replies

• vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am not completely vegan, but rather ovo-vegetarian (out of necessity). It becomes a mindset -- the very first thing I do is reach for / plan for the highest protein foods in anything I make. Pick almost every ingredient that way from green vegetables to beans on through. There is also textured vegetable protein. Just need to read labels.

I also plan in at least one vegan protein shake per day -- it's the only way I come close to meeting my needs even with eggs because I am small and have a smaller cal. allowance. Vegan shakes can get their protein from grains, hemp, vegetables, fruit. I find I do best with pea protein only. It has more grams per serving, fewer ingredients on the label, and non-GMO sources. The texture ins't great but throw in some yummy add-ins and it improves.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans - soy (10); , chia seeds (4), quinoa (8), oatmeal (6); soy milk (6); broccoli (4); brown rice (5).

Also, I read where you can soak chia seeds in water. Once they become jelly like, it's a great substitute for eggs.

Good luck to her!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Also, check out Happy Herbivores group. They may can lead you to more recipes.... =)
  • ell_v131
    Options
    thank you ladies! what is a textured vegetable protein?
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    TVP is a type of soy protein that looks a lot like bulgur wheat. You can get it in many grocery stores in the dry section or natural foods section. It is high protein, vegan and is great as a substitute for ground beef in things like lentil chili (high protein vegan meal right there). It is often used in packaged vegan meat substitutes. Not for people with soy allergies.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    TVP = textured vegetable protein.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Textured-Vegetable/dp/B002YR97J2

TVP is a dry ground meat replacement made out of soy. I like to munch on it for a snack sometimes.
  • initysteppa
    Options
    Tricky considering the calorie limit is 1500. Looking at legumes like kidney beans, red/green lentils and chickpeas—having these as the only source of protein and getting 100g from those doesn't leave room for much else. Soy beans are a bit higher in protein than other beans. Nuts are pretty high in calories though.

Supplementing with pea/hemp/soy/rice-protein would probably be beneficial to achieve a more varied diet.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Beans, peas, lentils, edamame, quinoa, sprouts... There are also many vegan protein supplements.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of spinach. And I mean alot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    An easy way to boost protein is nutritional yeast. It has a cheesy flavor and can be sprinkled on soups, salads, casseroles... It has 15 grams of protein per ounce.
  • ell_v131
    Options
    Thank you for the info, you're all being very constructive!

Yeah that would be a LOT of spinach Haha
  • anggoc
    anggoc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but I also wanted to find new healthy sources of protien . My new favorite food is black bean spaghetti! 180 cals, 12g fiber, and 25g protien for one 2oz serving!
  • ell_v131
    Options
    Anggoc, can you share the recipe please?
  • anggoc
    anggoc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I ordered the spaghetti online , It's Explore Asia brand. Also gluten free,made with only black beans and water. I'm sure it can be found in health food stores too. It can be used in place of regular spaghetti. I made it on taco night and used it as my base for taco salad instead of lettuce. It was great. It's also great topped with olive oil,and parmesean cheese. Or just red sauce,whatever you want to do with it :) It is similar to regular spaghetti just black and more protien packed!!
  • ell_v131
    Options
    Oh, the wonders of life in the states rather than a small central European country:) we don't have as wide a choice here sometimes. But I will look into it on my business trip next week, thank you!
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of that, but looks really interesting - thanks for sharing :)
    anggoc wrote: »
    I'm not vegan but I also wanted to find new healthy sources of protien . My new favorite food is black bean spaghetti! 180 cals, 12g fiber, and 25g protien for one 2oz serving!

• kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    1 scoop of vega one protein shake is 90cal and 15g of protein. I enjoyed this with unsweetened almond milk following a vegan diet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan or even vegetarian, but go through vegan periods, mostly because of taste preference. Beans, chickpeas etc are the first things that come to mind for main meals, and of course all sorts of nuts.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    soy products, especially shakes.