Weight lost exercises for people with chronic bad back

Options
Does anyone know what are the best exercises for weight lost w/bad back

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You don't need exercise to lose weight. All you need is a caloric deficit, you can do that from diet alone

that said, swimming may be a good exercise, for health and fitness, and will allow you to eat more that if you didn't exercise, and still lose the same weight
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    You don't need exercise to lose weight. All you need is a caloric deficit, you can do that from diet alone

that said, swimming may be a good exercise, for health and fitness, and will allow you to eat more that if you didn't exercise, and still lose the same weight

True on both points. Also, getting some exercise in is likely to help relieve the chronic back pain. For me, as long as I get in enough walking, I'm generally OK, but things like yoga, Pilates, and strength training that involves the whole body (e.g., squats) help, too. YMMV, and you should consult a doctor (orthopedist, maybe?) for what's appropriate in your particular situation, since "chronic back pain" probably covers a huge range of underlying issues.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    That would depend on what you mean by bad back. My lower back used to hurt a lot from a very old injury. There were some days that anything more than walking felt like Hell. Turns out it was much worse because I was kind of lazy and didn't do any exercise. My core was very weak and my back would have to overcompensate. Kill two birds with one stone and work on strengthening your core and this may help with your back pain also. Of course if you actually have something wrong you should check with your doctor to see what they recommend.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Reduce your calories and you will lose weight. For exercise do some walking if you can.
    Also swimming. YouTube has chair and mat/floor exercises. Also you can find some chair exercises on DVD on amazon.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree that swimming is an excellent way to strengthen muscles that doesn't add stress. However, good core workouts can help you if your back is bad. In short, if your abs do more work your back isn't as stressed. On Youtube they have several modified exercises that are specifically to work your abs and not stress your back.
  • tldunhamkish
    Options
    While you would expect that a calorie deficit is all you need, I find that I need to exercise to lose weight. Metabolism can play a big role on whether or not you are easily able to shed calories and exercise, good sleep, drinking lots of water and eating smaller meals throughout the day will contribute to increased weight loss. I suffer from chronic back pain and stuggle with exercise. Hard to be motivated to move when you are in pain. However, movement is exactly what is needed. I walk, eliptical, swim laps, take water aerobics class (yes I am the youngest in the class by far), practice yoga and do floor exercises recommended by a physical therapist to increase core strength e.g. cat cow, fire hydrants, clam shells, hip openers and hamstring stretches. These might make you feel better so that you can exercise. Stay away from high impact aerobics, running, etc.. it will only make your condition worse. I am learning to accept what I can and cannot do. Disheartening since I used to be a triathlete.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a surgically repaired fracture at L-1, with herniated disks at L4-5. My neurosurgeon and orthopedic dr. have recommended swimming and aquatic activities when I asked what I could do for a physical activity and exercise. Discuss with your physician first and, if you have access to a pool, consider water activities. I do not enjoy traditional exercise - walking is okay, but there is no way I can run on land due to a bad knee as well - but have really enjoy being in the water. While I'm swimming laps mostly, I also take some water aerobic classes and do water jogging, walking and lunges 4 x a week. These give me a good cardio workout and are helping strengthen my core - abdomen and back without being in pain and hurting myself. My gym has a warm water therapy pool as well as the exercise and lap pools, so following my workout, I head to the warm water pool - water temp is in the 80's and I stretch it all out there - feels awesome! I've seen more of a loss of inches than pounds so far - losing 7 3/4" in the past month - can't beat that!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Look for a water aerobics class, especially if they have one that that is targeted for the back or arthritis. These are generally a little lower impact and combine both cardio and strength exercises. Great workouts that strengthen the core and back without being too much. Most instructors will give alternate moves for those who need a little less intensity.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yoga and eating clean have really helped me to finally lose weight. I have three herniated discs and arthritis in my lower back, and yoga has given me both the strength and flexibility I lacked previously. Plus, it's the most amazing stress releiver!
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can you see a physical therapist? My PT helped correct some issues in my back so that I could stand and walk for longer periods without pain. That made all exercise more pleasant. My doctor recommends swimming, but I don't care for pools. Walking outside is my preferred way to exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Reduce your calories and you will lose weight. For exercise do some walking if you can.
    Also swimming. YouTube has chair and mat/floor exercises. Also you can find some chair exercises on DVD on amazon.

This^

Walking is great exercise. Chair exercise is also good - here are video clips: http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/workouts-for-seniors

Also videos that specialize in back issues
    http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/back-pain
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    My back Dr. told me walking slowing in a swimming pool and start small without over doing it. It will help