Stomach aches all the time

Options
I need to lose 200 lbs more. At my heaviest I was 440. Now I'm down to 340. It didn't take more than a few simple changes to lose the first 100...just cut out a few foods and started swimming 3 times a week.

Recently my stomach always hurts. Cramps, gurgles, burning...every time I eat. Doesn't matter what I eat either. My stomach is so unpredictable! I've been to the doctors. They don't really know what causing it.

Anyone else have this problem while trying to lose weight?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm...No. I had stomach problems before I started losing weight though. Basically I'd feel ill after I ate, most of the time. Now it's gone.

When did it start and have you changed anything in your diet lately?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Could it be milk? or perhaps another particular food?
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    gallbladder. Sludge, not stones.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 200 lbs more. At my heaviest I was 440. Now I'm down to 340. It didn't take more than a few simple changes to lose the first 100...just cut out a few foods and started swimming 3 times a week.

Recently my stomach always hurts. Cramps, gurgles, burning...every time I eat. Doesn't matter what I eat either. My stomach is so unpredictable! I've been to the doctors. They don't really know what causing it.

Are you eating things like Atkins bars? Other bars or foods with sugar alcohols?
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed if it is linked to a particular food? Dairy, bread, acidic foods, etc? Did you add anything new?

And have you kept an eye on how much fibre you eat? I've noticed on high fibre days, its crucial to drink lots of water, or my stomach cramps up.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Agree with Chicago - talk to your doctor to make sure gallbladder concerns have been ruled out.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If I eat dairy my stomach does that. I was sensitive as a child but seemed to grow out of for the most part, when I got pregnant the symptoms came back full force. So sometimes it seems change can trigger a reaction in the body. If you can journal notes with your diary, then you might be able to link it to certain foods.
  • demuz
    demuz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eliminate dairy. Start adding good bacteria in your diet, either with supps or yogurt/kefir. Plus Make sure you're getting all the fibre you need daily
  • PJR1985
    PJR1985 Posts: 14
    Options
    Try keeping a food diary and cutting out certain food groups for a week or two at a time to try and catch any patterns that will point to a certain food.
  • AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For me stomach upset after eating (any food at all caused me pain, great diet!) Was my gallbladder needing to come out.

I also had this feeling of any food causing me pain before being diagnosed with celiac disease.

I'm sorry....i know the frustration that it can cause to feel unwell all the time. Research and be proactive to figure it out. I find you have to do a lot of the leg work yourself these days. My doctor told me it was most likely IBS and to come back in 30 days...this while i was in constant pain, 105 pounds (a sickly weight for me) and losing a pound a day.

Good luck!
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder sludge, like mentioned above, can cause issues. I had sludge and it was awful, especially if I ate cheese, red meat, or any high fat food.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I had something similar after eating sick oysters. I finally started taking Pepcid every day and it calmed down after a little bit.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had an ulcer as a result of taking advil over a long period of time for a sore back. It hurt every time I ate. And fresh food was worse. A salad would just about put me over the edge. It was fairly localized under my right rib cage (right near where my gallbladder used to be....). My gallbladder pain was different. It was way worse, like being in labour. There would be intense pains that would come and go. They ulcer just hurt all the time, but not as bad. I would ask for some tests. An ultrasound or a gastroscopy to start.
  • theresadaisy77
    theresadaisy77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been to my doctor and he's a bit frustrated, because my medical insurance will not approve me to have the tests I need to diagnose the issue. So, we wait and try different treatments without the tests to confirm. In the meantime, I suffer every day. I've cut a lot out of my diet, the normal foods that cause problems (dairy, raw vegetables, acidic foods, soda, nuts, spices, coffee, chocolate) but without tests, who knows? Thanks for all the support and advice!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Are you eating things like Atkins bars? Other bars or foods with sugar alcohols?

Very good question! Those can play havoc with the gut for some people.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners wreak havoc on me. I can't even chew gum because it upsets my stomach.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This might help understand while you remain shrouded in mystery.
    livescience.com/42965-gallbladder.html

There's several women in my bariatric support group who suffered gall bladder attacks during significant weight loss. Also kidney stones. It is important to eat enough and to hydrate enough throughout (that magic 1,200 calories).

Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    demuz wrote: »
    Eliminate dairy. Start adding good bacteria in your diet, either with supps or yogurt/kefir. Plus Make sure you're getting all the fibre you need daily
    Lol, yogurt is dairy. Typo maybe?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    and unless it's water or juice kefir, kefir is dairy too.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I feel that way after eating some of the new things I've added to my diet, especially protein bars, protein shakes, and Fiber One cereal. Sometimes the discomfort doesn't start for a few hours, which makes it hard to pinpoint a specific food. Have you been eating those types of foods?