How to Measure body fat?

Options
I think the gym may have a device to measure it but not sure. Is this something the doctor can check?

Replies

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    i use this cool device called the mirror, and pinching with fingers (cant tell instantaneous approximation, but great for monitoring progress over time lol)
  • Lisgetsfitter
    Lisgetsfitter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    LoL
  • addysaurus
    Options
    You can get a pretty decent scale at Target that measures body fat. I got mine there and it measures weight, body fat %, water % and muscle mass. I believe it was like $20, and the only problem I've had is remembering to make sure my feet are slighty moist to get the best reading.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are no accurate at home ways to measure body fat. BIA scales are mostly bunk, and calipers are at the mercy of the user.

The only real way to know is to get a bod pod test or dexa scan. These can be pretty pricey and not always accurate either.

Honestly, you will probably be more accurate just looking in the mirror than any BIA scale.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Anything you get at target that tells you BF% is probably as accurate as a magic 8 ball.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    i have this one at home,

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE

But i'll be honest, they aren't really all that helpful...it will show drastically different numbers depending on how full your stomach is, or if you've taken a dump not too long before weighing, or if you've just sweat after a workout, or if your water retention is high from high sodium or creatine etc....in summary, you kind of become a slave to the numbers and can get bogged down in that. it's easy to get depressed and lose sight of your goals as a result because some days the numbers will be in your favor, some days not.
    MIRROR IS BEST lol
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bio-electric impedance scales that measure your body composition are not very accurate. I have one collecting dust underneath my dresser now because it was so widely inaccurate.

Depending on your what your BMI currently is, dexa scan or pod-bod may or may not be a better option.

I use a calipers and then I enter in measurements into this calculator to figure out where I am compositionally.

IMO, whatever method you pick as long as you are consistent in your measuring methods from test to test, I don't think it really matters which you use. (Other than the crappy electronic scales.) I prefer the calipers because after the initial purchase you can do it in your own home any time you want.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for: US navy circumference method body fat.
    You can even find a .pdf that has all of the study information. You do need to keep in mind that the study was done with US military persons, so if you are very high BF% it may not apply.
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I use the calculators at http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html to get an estimate. I don't know how exact it is, but figure it's a good way to figure improvements if nothing else.
  • hayleyquin
    hayleyquin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find Tanita Body Composition scales are excellent and quite accurate. Quite pricey though.
  • Lisgetsfitter
    Lisgetsfitter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)