all you runners and joggers

Options
b00b0084
b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
For those of you that run/jog when you first started did it aggravate your ankles? I am doing the C25K program and about 5 or 10 minutes into it, the outside of my right ankle starts to kill really bad.

Replies

• swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    Are you wearing proper running shoes, that have been fitted by a running store? You may pronate or some other problem.
  • mandyshell
    mandyshell Posts: 55
    Options
    I did the C25K program too. Mine ankles hurt a little bit in the beginning but then it was mosty my kness and shins. I talked to a couple people on here and they told me to stretch before and after jogging and that really did help a lot. And also had a glass of milk a while after running. That and I went and got some really good running shoes. I'm not really much help with the ankle pain though, lol.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing proper running shoes, that have been fitted by a running store? You may pronate or some other problem.

Exactly, you need to make sure they are correct. I would get awful shin splints until I got the right shoes and stretched before and even better afterwards.
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    no, but my upper legs used to get so itchy...it had to do with circulation...since I run way more now I don't seem to have that problem anymore though. Thanks goodness!
  • MELOZZA
    MELOZZA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are overpronating pay a visit to a good running shop who will give you advice on shoes. Runners need do a free acessment.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I am an over pronator and I didn't know that when I first started so I had a ton of problems but after getting appropriate shoes I'm good to go! I recommend getting fitted for the right shoe!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - my ankles were killing me much more than anything else. A few things - 1) I got better shoes, and 2) I kept at it - didn't push TOO much, but kept jogging/running regularly and over time I strengthened the muscles that support my foot/ankle and that (along with the better shoes) eliminated the ankle pain I was experiencing. I found out the hard way that even now, if I take a long break from running, I lose some of the strength in those little support muscles, and my first few runs when I come back are usually painful in my ankles (even with decent shoes).
  • kidtechnical
    kidtechnical Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm no expert but in my limited experience the things to look for are:
    1. Shoes. Did you go to a proper store with assistants who know about running? This makes the world of difference because they'll watch you walk up & down and use that to judge which shoes to go for. I've ran in running shoes I just happened to have had in and shoes that were selected with the help of a pro and I can tell you the latter was like running on feathers by comparison.
    2. Stretching. Are you remembering to spending time stretching before and after a run. I'm really bad for forgetting to stretch AFTER a run, I'm too busy thinking about water and shower! I've had other aches (more in the Achilles heel area for me) and I stretch before & after a run but also before bed & when I wake.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone else....its all in the shoes. I didn't know how much difference my shoes could make until I did go to the running store and get fitted for the right shoes. Now...I could run all day and my ankles, shins, and knees dont hurt. I love my Saucony shoes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In addition to good shoes (and socks... cushiony athletic socks make a way bigger difference than I EVER thought possible), where are you running? If you're running on a sidewalk or the side of a road, even the slight slope for rain runoff can throw you just the tiniest bit off balance. I knew a guy who went to doctor after doctor for a knee problem, and it ended up being that he ran the same route on the same side of the road, and the angle messed him up. He started alternating which side of the road he ran on, and the pain went away.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i cant afford more than a 10 dollar pair of shoes from walmart, but i will look into it. thank you.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Last year I tripped over an adze, landed badly and injured my ankle. From time to time it still niggles away, and I was a little worried that running might aggravate it. However, before I even started, I got some decent running shoes, and guess what? No problems at all!

It really is worth getting properly fitted, and spending the money on good shoes. Good luck with the rest of c25k!
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    I have ankle problem due to sprain both in the past. Make sure you are wearing the right shoes. Make sure you are stretching, and if it still hurts....look into doing ankle strengthening exercises which is what my physio therapist stressed to me so that I don't have another injury. It will help you avoid a twist or a sprain as well. The exercises are easy and you could do them while you are cooking or watching TV.

Good luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    i cant afford more than a 10 dollar pair of shoes from walmart, but i will look into it. thank you.

Shoes really are *super* important if you're going to be running/jogging regularly. If you can't afford to buy shoes right now, I highly recommend you save up until you can. It may seem like an extravagance, but the average athletic shoe is not designed to support running, especially if you're an overpronator (many people are), and you can do damage to your joints (ankles/knees/hips) if you continue running long-term with shoes that don't work for you.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I used to run really crooked... I have practiced on my running form and now my ankles and knees don't hurt like they used to.

I still have yet to buy a great pair of shoes but the pair I have work okay.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If all you can afford are 10 dollar shoes then look in your area for a HS rubber track, that might help your ankle and have you considered running barefoot. I think you would be more comfortable running barefoot than in those wal-mart shoes. I have some steel-toe boots I purchase from Wal-mart and would like to find the President of the company to beat him up side the head with that shoe it is that painful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It didn't to start with, but I really hurt my ankle doing my first 10k (totally unprepared), and I hurt it again a few months ago doing a 17k run. I do now find my ankles hurt when I push myself. I did interval training today and they hurt quite a lot, but as long as I know I have stretched and warmed up I know I am not doing lasting damage, so I ignore it.

You should see a physio if the pain is lasting more than a day after your run.
  • jesser80
    jesser80 Posts: 4
    Options
    There's a faction of runners who believe that athletic shoes are actually the cause of a lot of our injuries b/c they promote poor running form. They encourage barefoot running or running in very minimal shoes and using proper technique ... which involves the way way you carry your body and making sure to "toe strike" (leading with your toes when you come down) and a bunch of other stuff I'm not real clear on.

I still totally wear my $130 Brooks for each and every run but I have found that if I'm feeling any pain and I start focusing on my form, especially striking with my toes, that it usually goes away.

There's plenty of stuff on the internets about "barefoot running." Also Jeff Galloway has an "injury free" running program you could check out. I believe it deals with moderate increases in speed and distance to limit injury potential - though I would think C25K wouldn't fit within that.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I just started running. My feet are ok. But the next day my hips hurt..
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Are you using the correct shoes? Go to a local running shop and have them analyze your running style.