female question

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. When I get my period I am constantly starving. I am hungry al the time and Just don't feel full. I try to fill up on water and healthy stuff, but it just doesn't seem to be enough... help:frown:

Replies

• dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. When I get my period I am constantly starving. I am hungry al the time and Just don't feel full. I try to fill up on water and healthy stuff, but it just doesn't seem to be enough... help:frown:
  • Junie05
    Junie05 Posts: 26
    Options
    That used to be me, too. (I've since had menopause). I feel that it's hard to fight the hormones, so don't feel guilty about giving your body the extra calories. I have heard that vitamin B6 is helpful, and magnesium, I think. You might want to see if you can find info on that. Good luck, I think it's a really hard thing to deal with!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Yea me too. i always have to be munching on something but this time around since I am loading up on fiber (at least 30g a day) I am noticing I am not getting into the munchies but if its my regular breakfast, lunch and dinner time, boy am I starving and I need for NOW!!!

I did have lots of chocolate today and I felt so guilty that I went to the gym again.... :tongue:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yes...yes! The only thing I can do that somewhat helps is (like you said) fill up on water (drink tons!) and I do allow myself some dark chocolate. I eat popcorn when craving something salty. I made a post a while back on foods that are good during certain times of the month (for women). I'll see if I can find it on here again. It's a good read and has some good suggestions! Hopefully this helps! Just know you're not alone.:flowerforyou:

*Kistinbee*
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    dawn...I replied on my post so it pulled it up here again. Hopefully you enjoy!:bigsmile:
  • brendab
    brendab Posts: 78
    Options
    This helps me,
    bananas..... & best of all........ M&M's plain. 1/4 cup is 240 cal & considered a serving. I eat them 3 or 4 at a time letting them melt :). I also have 1/2 a serv. of my fav. soft drink Dr. Pepper or som Coke.
    This helps soothe me emotionally, & physically. I'll be glad when I'm thru menopause & can move on past this.... every month is a nightmare, but M&M's help me thru! Good luck and don't feel guilty, it's only once a month....and I starve during mine too!
    Brenda B
    :drinker:
  • twink3110
    Options
    Getting hungry all day is my first clue that my period is on its way. Otherwise I really don't feel all that hungry. What I do is up my calories a little and allow myself to go to the high end of my calorie limit at that time. An apple always helps me when I feel hungry and if I'm still hungry I try yogurt too. Just to recognize and know why your feeling hungry helps also.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have the same problem - and trying to deny the urges just makes it worse.

I try to bump up my activity - especially stuff that gets me out of the house (kitchen) and keeps my mind off it. The extra exercise also helps with cramps and mood swings.

Hang in there. Janie
  • raquitathomas
    raquitathomas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've found that by snacking on frosted shredded wheat all day actually helps to curb cravings for pretty much anything. I also tried Fiber Bars. They are fantastic and really healthy for you. The caramel and peanut butter are the best.

I think any of us would excuse an oops during that time of the month. Just don't let an oops turn into a trend! Keep working at it. Try different foods to see what curbs your cravings the best. I went through quite a few things before I found something that works for me. Just takes patience.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have had similar problems. I started eating soy nuts and peanuts (raw, in the shell type, so I have to work to get them in my mouth) - measured amounts of each. It's helped with the starvation, and helped in other ways, as well.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    calcium calcium calcium

increasing your calcium can help reduce the effects of PMS, I take one calcium pill every day and for the week before my period and the whole two days I have it I take two pills and that in addition to making sure I am getting some yogurt and milk and eatting right really has helped.

I didn't think it would work when I first read about it so I used myself as a guinea pig and found the months that I didn't do this I just went ape *kitten* with eatting for the few days surrounding my periodand the months that I take the calcium I seem to have less cravings or whatever.

Never hurts to try, your bones will be happy!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum A to Z, which contains calcium. I'm a bit leery of taking a separate calcium pill in case it goes over the recommended amount.

What do you think? Does anyone do a multivitamin AND calcium supplement?
  • martiboy
    Options
    I've found that Fiber One bars work really good. For the hunger and the cravings. I've also found when I get really hungry and have a cup of coffee it helps for a while.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum A to Z, which contains calcium. I'm a bit leery of taking a separate calcium pill in case it goes over the recommended amount.

What do you think? Does anyone do a multivitamin AND calcium supplement?

Slieber - I take a multivitamin and calcium supplements. I have severe lactose intolerance so can't eat or drink any milk products. It doesn't seem to bother me as long as I do not overdo it with the calcium (600 mg a day rather than 1500 mg a day - on top of multivitamin). I used to take 1500 mg but had trouble with my digestive system. As always, natural is the best way to go - but if not able, just use moderation..

Good luck