I am my own worst enemy!

Options
I eat one bad thing then I avoid myfitnesspal like it is the plague. Then I exercise and use it is a free pass to eat whatever I want. I have downloaded the blackberry app to help keep me on track when I am not at a computer so hopefully that helps. But what do you guys do to help you keep on going?

I want to lose weight more than anything, but I am the queen of self-sabatoge! I know I need to just do it. I am just doing it. Just hoping for advice on how to keep myself on track.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do is change your mindset that exercise gives you a free pass. Exercise should aid you in your weight loss, not be a reason to eat.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have the same problem. I am also the poster child of self sabotage!
  • mdmoral
    mdmoral Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't avoid it. Log in and put the food in anyway. I feel even more guilty if I don't log it all in, I feel as if I am lying to myself. It may take us a bit longer to get to the weight we want, but just because we cheat one day doesn't mean we're not going to make it.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Turn it into a habit of logging everything immediately after you eat it. Even better is to log it first and then eat it. If you can't log first, make a habit of checking the nutritional value on everything.

You can eat what ever you want, the problem is how much. My motto is to eat half of what I could.
  • alanzo87
    alanzo87 Posts: 14
    Options
    I do it too. Just gotta visualize yourself in that perfect outfit and people doing a double take when tehy see you...that helps me put down the cookie. lol.
  • bjaman
    bjaman Posts: 1
    Options
    I try to to have small healthy snacks around like plain almonds. I can grab and throw in my mouth. Instead of the continuous small snacking. Drinking plenty of water. I mix it up with crystal light/great value 0cal to go packets. You will fill fuller longer.
  • x_mareike_x
    Options
    I think it helps a lot to note down everything, even the food that in theory you should not have eaten. Simply because you see it black on white and next time you might avoid it or you might think "I could've had X instead of Y". I do that, I note everything down, always hoping to not repeat the mistake. I do struggle and I do repeat mistakes but one fine day our mind will make "click" and then we're just doing it right. So don't get worked up about a little sin, but note it down to remember it . And most importantly, don't give up ;) .
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My wost habbit was rewarding myslef with food and comforting myself with food so if I had a bad day I would give my self a free pass to eat junk or if I had a great day and acheived something I would reward myself with junk. So now I try and find other rewards/comfort so when I have a bad day I de-stress with a good hard core work out or when I have a great day and deserve a reward I dont do any house work or I work on some me time or buy a new nail polish color to paint my toes or something. Its tough to get used to. When I really wanna treat I buy the smallest serving I can (like the mini ben and jerry's ice cream that is 120 calories) It is more pricey but I know if I buy a bigger container I will eat a bigger container LOL
  • Niceven
    Niceven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't punish yourself. It's in the top five of my personal rules. It sounds like you're in a bit of a malignant routine. Break the mindset that you've messed up. So you overindulged yesterday, so what? Tomorrow make up for it by sticking to your goal. Be honest, the hardest thing to do is log that you ate a pan of brownies here on MFP. But being honest about it will make you less likely to do it in the furture.

FYI: I ate crap all day yesterday but I'm not letting that affect me today. I have relapses, I know that, I accept that. I acknowledge that I buggered up and move on. I used to have that mindset though, I'd think "Oh I buggered up, guess I'm done dieting." Don't do that. The power of positive thinking is strangely effective. Seems hookey, but it really helps.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    This is from a Hungry Girl email I just got, some good advice in here:

I was wondering if there are a handful of food-related rules that you live by. If so, what are they? Thanks!

Alexa aWonderin'

Hi Alexa,
    I actually get asked this question a LOT, so I've had plenty of time to think about it and narrow down my list to FIVE important rules. Here they are...
    1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
    2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
    3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
    4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
    5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    I know your pain! I've lost 30 lbs & put most of it back on here on MFP...until last week when a few of my MFP friends really kicked my &$# with words & told me I CAN DO IT! And guess what it's been a week & more weight has comes off (I will log it in Saturday)..But really you just need a few good friends to run along side with to keep you in check!:glasses:

I was the cookie monster ruining my diet everyday until I was crying with depression. You have to change that trigger food with something else & increase your workout time daily. After that you feel better than you can make another change & another until your on the right track.:flowerforyou:

Just start today:drinker:
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I hear you big time - this was the biggest obstacle for me in this whole journey, the reason I gained all my weight in the first place was because I was an emotional eater/binge eater. I ate so I didn't have to feel the things I didn't want to feel, so I could stuff the emptiness I felt with food and just numb out (if that makes sense?) I self sabotaged myself because I was afraid that I wasn't good enough to really make the changes last (because I had tried so many times before) it was like saying, "see, I knew you couldn't do it"
    The thing that helped me the most to kick start this journey was reading the book "Women, Food & God" by Geneen Roth. I can't tell you how life-changing that book was for me and my mentality towards myself. I also started seeing a psychologist...I was really scared at first but once I started going and really started to feel like I was seeing positive changes on the inside I started to look forward to it. Then adding exercise, proper nutrition and MFP took it further. Now I challenge myself and cheer myself on, instead of knocking myself down. I feel like I have control back in my life and I am beginning to love the me I see in the mirror...it all started from the inside out :o) ....as cheesy as that sounds ;) LOL

I hope that made sense and I hope that maybe in some way that will help?

All the best - & be kind to yourself, it's amazing what it can do for your life.

:flowerforyou:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, monday through friday is typically good, but the weekend rolls around and bam! it's like I have to be 21 all over again....it's lame....and I gotta get out of that cycle too
  • ladyrhees
    ladyrhees Posts: 26
    Options
    I was doing the same and I have decided to see how many calories I can bank from my exercise, ie. eat my daily allotment and try to not use the extra. I used to do something similar when I was on Weight Watchers by trying to bank a few points every day (if I had 25 for the day, I'd use 20-22), It makes you get creative with your meals and balancing being satisfied with what you ate without dropping the bottom out of your calorie limit. Sort of like overdraft protection with a limit of how much you can go over, lol. The Special K challenge has actually been working for me and there are a ton of choices to tailor it to your personal eating habits and cravings. It's been a good stepping stone to get started losing and maintaining. http://www.specialk.com/my-challenge/ for anyone interested in taking a peek. Best of luck to you and everyone here, the weight didn't pile on overnight nor will it come off overnight. Don't beat yourself up over a "slip", learn and move on! =D