New to gym ,what equipment helps to loose weight

Options
I will be joining the gym Monday I have no clue where to start any advice I'm trying to go down 40 pds.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Whether you lift weight, do cardio or both (recommended), exercise will help create a higher calorie expenditure, but there's really no equipment that's much more advantageous than another. What's more important is that if you use equipment, be consistent.
    Weight loss is much more dependent on calorie deficit and not exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nomy84
    nomy84 Posts: 9
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Whether you lift weight, do cardio or both (recommended), exercise will help create a higher calorie expenditure, but there's really no equipment that's much more advantageous than another. What's more important is that if you use equipment, be consistent.
    Weight loss is much more dependent on calorie deficit and not exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you for answer will keep that in mind!
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I find any kind of stretching will help loosen that weight right up.

Lol no but seriously what niner said. Exercise will help create a larger deficit but weight loss is about creating a caloric deficit, not what types of exercise equipment you use.
  • hayleyquin
    hayleyquin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Interval type training will burn fat quicker rather than slow long cardio. Do a circuit of exercises at a medium intensity resting a minute between exercises. This workout should take 30 to 45 minutes. Or if you prefer do 30 seconds at a high intensity on a treadmill, bike, stepper etc whichever you prefer. Then 1 minute at a low intensity and repeat for 10 minutes. Aim to to do 20 minutes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    #1 Eat at deficit, will not lose weight otherwise (make sure you know your own caloric needs..so you know how much to eat)
    #2 Do some cardio....whatever you can stick you. Some things burn more calories obviously but if you don't enjoy it, you will not continue it.
    #3 Do some resistance training. You are trying to maintain your muscle mass (losing weight can take some muscle weight with it and you do not want that to happen), and eventually add some. This keeps your body efficiently burning calories.

Do not worry about which machines, get a good tour and find out about routines so that you hit all the muscle groups and do things safely.

Have fun, work hard..good things will happen
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    hayleyquin wrote: »
    Interval type training will burn fat quicker rather than slow long cardio. Do a circuit of exercises at a medium intensity resting a minute between exercises. This workout should take 30 to 45 minutes. Or if you prefer do 30 seconds at a high intensity on a treadmill, bike, stepper etc whichever you prefer. Then 1 minute at a low intensity and repeat for 10 minutes. Aim to to do 20 minutes.
    Actually, fat burning happens once glycogen levels are depleted, however and unfortunately it takes a lot of high intensity and longer than 45 minutes to achieve this for the average exerciser.
    What higher intensity training does is increase RMR and that intern will help with higher fat burning since one burns fat exclusively at rest and sleeping versus exercising for an hour or two.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    nomy84 wrote: »
    I will be joining the gym Monday I have no clue where to start any advice I'm trying to go down 40 pds.

Fork, knife and spoon are the best equipment choices to lose weight.

• nomy84
    Options

Fork, knife and spoon are the best equipment choices to lose weight.

Good one
  • nomy84
    Options
    hayleyquin wrote: »

Thank you! ;)
  • nomy84
    Options
    #1 Eat at deficit, will not lose weight otherwise (make sure you know your own caloric needs..so you know how much to eat)
    #2 Do some cardio....whatever you can stick you. Some things burn more calories obviously but if you don't enjoy it, you will not continue it.
    #3 Do some resistance training. You are trying to maintain your muscle mass (losing weight can take some muscle weight with it and you do not want that to happen), and eventually add some. This keeps your body efficiently burning calories.

Do not worry about which machines, get a good tour and find out about routines so that you hit all the muscle groups and do things safely.

Have fun, work hard..good things will happen

Thank you , i just got a tour at my local gym , I have a appt with a trainer tmrw pretty much to set up goals show me what I need to focus on what I want to achieve idk I want to to my own thing lol kinda weird someone watching u over ur shoulder I need my own space lol! Thanks for advice
  • nomy84
    Options
    swole_elsa wrote: »
    I find any kind of stretching will help loosen that weight right up.

Lol no but seriously what niner said. Exercise will help create a larger deficit but weight loss is about creating a caloric deficit, not what types of exercise equipment you use.

Lol I wish stretching did the work lol but thanks :)
  • dedel7
    dedel7 Posts: 3
    Options
    How about belly fat? I have a rather jelly like belly. Any suggestion on workout and diet should I opt?

Normally I do run and rowing on ergo machine 30 minutes each
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Make proper use of a fork and scale.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    As we all have said - the gym is nice. Start out gradually so your body's soft tissues (tendons, ligaments, muscles) adapt to the new movements, and slowly ramp up over the coming weeks to keep increasing the training stress on your body.

Combine that with the major - and really only - factor in weight loss: CICO

Take less calories in than you are burning out to have a daily deficit of calories. This is what will help you lose the weight. Exercise simply increases the number of calories that you burn, which means it can help you maintain a deficit easier.

All the best at working your body, and maintaining a deficit as combined you should really see some good results to the tune of at least a pound a week.