phentermine topimax... yay or nay?

Options
So I am on some medications that my Dr prescribed, and was wondering if people had success and how they worked for them. I'm taking phentermine 15 mg and topiramate, forgot the mg for that and also just upped my dose of metformin (for PCOS) to 1700 mg a day. How have these worked for you?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was on Topamax for migraines. It helped a lot, but I also got kidney stones because of it. It did not help me lose weight (I also had to give up alcohol while I was on it).

As far as phentermine goes, you're not learning an effective way of dealing with hunger. You may lose weight because it decreases appetite, but one day you'll have to stop using it and then your appetite will return in full force.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I had success with phentermine...it was a good jump start for me. You have to have motivation though because you still can overeat. I lost a good amount of weight (50 lbs) probably 15 years ago. I've never gotten that heavy again although I have gained and relost about 20 lbs. If it is giving you the nudge to get going then go for it.
  • jennhubbard84
    jennhubbard84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and lost 40 pounds, but it did return quickly because I didn't watch my eating, was going out to eat and didn't really care at the time.... I do know that this is just a push for me because I have a lot of weight to lose. I definitely know that I need to make changes in what I eat a life long change and not a temporary fix to just lose the weight that I also need to maintain it as well.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Metformin is a good choice with PCOS. Both phentermine and Topamax have side effects that may not really be worth the benefit - it depends. They only decrease your desire to eat. You will need to come off them and then will need to learn how to eat properly or you will gain it all back - sometimes more since you may have gone very low calorie and lost muscle with fat if you were not trying to maintain it. Good luck regardless of what you decide. Talk to your doctor about long term results from the phen/Topamax combo
  • Boganella
    Boganella Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was on topamax for months for migraines but I had to stop taking it as I was CONSTANTLY on my period with it. It really did nothing for weight loss for me.
  • jennhubbard84
    Options
    I definitely felt today how I wasn't hungry, had to remind myself to eat. But I've been pretty good about my portions or making healthier choices because me and my husband Had the worst eating habits.... We really didn't realize until we started tracking our intake on here when we already made changes that wow we were not paying attention! I'm going to see what happens within a month and then decide if I should continue with all of them.... I know the metformin will stay tho! And now that my dose has been increased I have to deal with the stomach issues all over again lol.... Hope it doesn't last too long tho.....
  • desirail
    desirail Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My Dr. gave them both to me for weight loss back in November. Phentermine was given to reduce hunger and Topamax is given to bring the "flighty feeling" of the phentermine down. I took them for a month, then stopped for a month, then back on for a month. I'm off for the moment and probably won't go back just because of the fact that I need to do this on my own. Yes, it works; however, the phentermine will not keep working at the 15 mg dosage and you will have to increase it if you stay on it. By the end of the two months I did take it, my calories were creeping up. I am not telling you to do what I did, you need to talk to your doctor about it.
  • jennhubbard84
    Options
    I've been on the 37.5 mg dose last year but she wouldn't give it to me, said I have to increase it over time
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I was on Phentermine 40mg (then dosed down to 30 & 15), a couple of years ago.

With Phentermine, it would completely depend on the person to if it helps or not in the long term. Side effects aside (since they vary from person to person anyway), it does give you extra energy and can stop you from feeling hungry BUT, if you are an emotional eater, a person who eats without awareness/mindfulness (ie, you don't even notice you are eating) or out of habit, it won't help change your eating patterns.

I think for a person who is on their weight loss journey already and is making progress, and who has a good relationship with food, then phentermine would be great. If not, it's a short term solution to a problem that will just reassert itself once you've stopped taking it.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for migraines and found the side effects unbearable. I don't think I lost weight on it, but I wasn't really keeping track at the time.
  • jennhubbard84
    Options
    Thank you for your response, I'm the opposite of am emotional eater, when things go bad I shut good down and end up losing weight fast but when I'm happy again I gain it all back lol....
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    .... also just upped my dose of metformin (for PCOS) to 1700 mg a day. How have these worked for you?

Metformin was a life saver for me - not for weight loss, mind you, but for evening out my hormones. Before it, I was like a manic depressive. After it, I am a lot more level headed, not as quick to anger. If you are taking that high of a dose, then I am sure you are aware of the *ahem* digestive issues :) Still, it might be a new problem. If so, make sure you are taking the extended release kind - it helps.
  • ShieldMaidenLeah
    ShieldMaidenLeah Posts: 30 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have PCOS and it takes me forever just to lose a little no matter what I do. My doctor recently put me on phentermine and I can say it is certainly helping with the appetite. I have noticed that I am not eating out of boredom. This is my first week back on this medication. I had started it last year and was doing really well but sadly I have Ulcerative colitis and had to go on a high dose of steroids and stop all other meds which totally hindered my progress. I have lost 24lbs without any medical assistance but the weight loss stopped and wouldn't budge no matter what I did so now I am on medication once again and we shall see where that brings me. My doctor set me up for 37.5mg for five months with monthly weigh ins. I can tell you that you want to take this medication in the morning as it can cause insomnia. Also avoid anything with caffeine as it can make you feel very jittery. I completely understand the struggles of PCOS and us soul cysters have to do what we gotta do.

Also I want to say that I tried topiramate and it was pure hell for me. I felt like a miserable zombie that couldn't get off the couch. I was dizzy all of the time and depressed. I also had issues being in the sun because of it and dehydrated very easily. I also could not sweat while on it. It was a terrible medication for me.
  • kimbiddleskitchen
    Options
    I was on Topamax for many yrs, 200 mg a day. Did nothing for weight loss, I was on it for severe migraines, may have helped the migraines some but I just recently tapered the dose in order to come off it. The side effects were no longer toleratable. One if the biggest was messing with memory. I wouldn't be able to name simple things. It did nothing to curb my appetite. I'm starting to feel normal now that I'm off all prescription meds except my Synthroid which I'll be switching to ArmourThyroid once I see the Endrocrinoligist. There are many natural supplements that work better. You might want to check them out. Best of luck.