What IS the Healthy Substitute for Sugar?

Options

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I use Sweet n Low. Sugar has calories and coats teeth. Fine in moderation and all, but there are certainly more concrete downsides to drinking sugared water than there are to drinking artificially sweetened water. I know of no concrete downsides to the latter, in fact.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    After doing some reading recently I discovered that there are artificial sweeteners, and there are also sweeteners that fall into the category of sugar alcohols.

One sugar alcohol that I use is Erythritol. It tastes good, has zero calories and does not raise blood sugar levels. It also has antioxidants. If you are looking for a good substitute for sugar (but not low calorie), date sugar is an excellent one. It is simply ground up dates which have a lot of health benefits. My husband has date sugar and honey on his oatmeal every morning.

Here is some information on erythritol: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/erythritol-may-be-a-sweet-antioxidant

Here is another video that ranks the various sweeteners by their health benefits. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-healthiest-sweetener

FYI - I just have to add that the source of the videos (NutritionFacts.Org) - seems to promote vegetarianism.

Date sugar? Wow, that's great! I've never heard of it. I've never seen it in the store either so I'll have to look harder. My husband will absolutely love it. Thanks for sharing :)

You can get it at health food stores and also on Amazon. I made pumpkin muffins with it once. They were delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use sugar where sugar is called for...I just don't eat a *kitten* ton of sugar. I don't eat a lot of baked goods and whatnot...that kind of stuff is special occasion stuff for me...so I don't worry about it. I have a soda every once in awhile...so I really don't worry about it. Most of my daily sugar intake comes by way of fruits and veg.

Sugar in and of itself isn't evil...it occurs naturally in many things we eat. The problem is simply over consumption...so the healthy alternative is to simply moderate consumption to a reasonable level.
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    Splends i only use 3 aday on my 3 cup coffee
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    Splenda
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Sweet 'n Low in tea, Splenda on grapefruit, sugar on everything else. Stay at your calorie goal barring any medical condition. I also do not believe the scare tactics about reasonable consumption of artificial sweeteners. They are among the most studied substances on the planet.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do any of you know of a low carb, zero calorie sweetener? I use splenda to make my Atkins treats, but splenda has carbs in it.
  • andalite4412
    andalite4412 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Xylitol has been the closest I've found to tasting like sugar and it's heat stable so you can bake with it. I've also made powdered sugar out of it to make frosting. It's good for your teeth too, something about not feeding and reducing the growth of harmful mouth bacteria. Just be extra careful if you have pets that they don't steal any of the treats you make with it/put it in cause it's more toxic to them than chocolate is. I've also read it can cause excess gas in some people but it's never bothered me.

Erythritol is good too, though definitely has a different taste than real sugar. I don't get much of an aftertaste with it though. This is what Sobe uses in their Lifewater 0's that you find at convenience stores. Love those drinks.

Stevia is okay. It can taste bitter if you use too much and has a more pronounced aftertaste, but I sometimes use Truvia packets and it's a mix of stevia and erythritol so any aftertaste is minimized. I actually prefer this to sweeten my tea than regular sugar. It's got a.. cleaner taste? I dunno, I'm just used to it.
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a plant based sweetner...not bad for u at all :-)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Mommiana wrote: »
    Suggestions please...artificial sweeteners aren't good for you; sugar isn't either...what does one use for sweetener in tea, coffee, or in baking? Thanks!

I'll tell you a secret: tea and coffee taste great without any sweeteners. Actually sugar and other sweeteners "kill" the taste of your drink. If you cut them out completely, you will start to appreciate good quality teas and coffees and enjoy your Darjeeling or your Earl Grey much better. You may want to start by gradually reducing the amount until you can cut it out altogether.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i use alot of honey coconut sugar and maple syrup. now i do also sometimes use sugar. u wont save much as far as calories go i just prefer them. to each theyre own. if ur looking for something less processed then sugar maple syrup and honey are good options

So you replace sugar with sugar?
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners and natural one are ok if you don't over do it. The thing is too much fructose can be harmful. However, putting a spoon or too in your coffee or tea is no big deal.

I personally use sucralose in my hot beverages and honey in my yogurt/marinades, because they taste better than say stevia and aspartame.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    avvgromano wrote: »
    Mommiana wrote: »
    Suggestions please...artificial sweeteners aren't good for you; sugar isn't either...what does one use for sweetener in tea, coffee, or in baking? Thanks!

I'll tell you a secret: tea and coffee taste great without any sweeteners. Actually sugar and other sweeteners "kill" the taste of your drink. If you cut them out completely, you will start to appreciate good quality teas and coffees and enjoy your Darjeeling or your Earl Grey much better. You may want to start by gradually reducing the amount until you can cut it out altogether.

I too love tea just plain I find plenty of flavor in the varieties I drink without adding anything.

In regards to baking, date sugar sounds lovely to try, thank you for sharing your experience. :)
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners and natural one are ok if you don't over do it. The thing is too much fructose can be harmful. However, putting a spoon or too in your coffee or tea is no big deal.

I personally use sucralose in my hot beverages and honey in my yogurt/marinades, because they taste better than say stevia and aspartame.

Too much of anything is bad. Fructose is no better or worse than anything else.

There is no need for tautology here, since we are discussing sugar. For a lot of people it's easier to over do it on sugar than on proteins, since it's often absorb as liquid calories. If you eat a lot of process food, there is added sugar in everything. It does add up.

I'm not trying to do fear mongering here, but there are serious link with excess fructose and diseases like fatty liver and type 2 diabetes. But of course you have to over do it. I'm not sure we are allowed to post link here. But there is an interesting article called "How bad is fructose" in the American journal of clinical nutrition.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Too much of anything is bad. Fructose is no better or worse than anything else.

There is no need for tautology here, since we are discussing sugar. For a lot of people it's easier to over do it on sugar than on proteins, since it's often absorb as liquid calories. If you eat a lot of process food, there is added sugar in everything. It does add up.

I'm not trying to do fear mongering here, but there are serious link with excess fructose and diseases like fatty liver and type 2 diabetes. But of course you have to over do it. I'm not sure we are allowed to post link here. But there is an interesting article called "How bad is fructose" in the American journal of clinical nutrition.

If you have fatty liver disease or Type 2 Diabetes of any other medical condition then yes you probably should be concerned about your sugar intake but not otherwise. Just because there are links it doesn't follow that, all things being equal, something specific is bad. It's lifestyle.

If you are perfectly healthy eating a lot of fructose (plant sugar really? that's what we're talking about?) within a balanced nutritious diet isn't going to harm you.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    avvgromano wrote: »
    I'll tell you a secret: tea and coffee taste great without any sweeteners.

Agree! I've always preferred coffee without sugar, but one of my friends recently reduced (by half a tsp a week) from coffee with 3 sugars to none. Although she has started buying 'posher' coffees now - so maybe an impact on the wallet! ;)
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I use sweetener in tea and sugar in baking, but to be honest I just reduced my refined sugar usage as much as possible. Stewed fruit in porridge or natural yoghurt is very nice.
  • Mommiana
    Mommiana Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips...
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I rarely use sugar anymore but if I need to I use half Swerve( Swerve is a combination of erythritol and oligosaccharides that looks, tastes and measures just like sugar). and half regular sugar just to cut down on the calories and carbs...I am only allowed 110 carbs a day. I dont eat or drink anything else that requires you add sugar.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your goals. I use maple syrup we tap on my farm, or local honey whenever I can. When baking, I use regular sugar. Just in moderation:)