Help, torn knee ligaments and want to exercise while resting it

Options
Hello

Torn the ligaments in my left knee (again :( ), so my doctor has told me to rest it until it feels better again, I've been in so much pain for 2 weeks and moving it is just causing them to tear again, and it's not getting any better.

However I can't stop exercising, because I've come this far, got to a really good place with my routine and don't want to give up. Obviously I'm going to follow doctors orders and rest my knee, but can any of you recommend some exercises that I can do that won't effect my knee - especially cardio if there is any (doc said cycling and star jumps were a no-no).

I can't believer I'm saying this...but I miss squats already!

Mandy X

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Swimming but no breaststroke kicks...walking is probably your safest bet but you want to WRAP IT UP GOOD. Get a sleeve or ace bandage and make sure your knee is well supported. My second tear was a complete snap so I wish you the best!!!!
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Take this time to work on swimming, lifting or flexibility. You could also use a hand bike which will give you cardio but you use your arm muscles instead of leg muscles. I have two partial tears in my knee ligaments. I refuse to have another surgery until I don't have a choice so I continue to exercise. Some days I do well, some days it hurts.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hand bike. As your doctor and/or PR for approved exercises. Remember weight loss is mostly your diet anyways.

If your worried about losing cardio, I had to sit out about a 6 weeks last fall with a back injury. Only took me about 4 weeks to get back to where I was. And that was mostly because I had to take it easy with my back. It was better to lose a little progress then to injure my back for good.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I used hand bikes when I had knee problems. Also would second the suggestion above to ask your doctor what you can do for cardio, and if they're not sure, ask for a PT consultation.

Sorry you're going through this. :(
  • lborsato1
    lborsato1 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have had ACL reconstructions on both of my knees.....so speaking from experience..... Follow the doctors orders and rest it..... Do upper body workouts or walking.... Trust me, its no fun to go through surgery because you are stubborn ! ;)
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Google "seated Exercise" or "chair exercise", there are tons of videos on youtube and Sparkpeople to that effect. Most are resistance training, but that is certainly better than nothing, yes? I seem to remember some that got the cardio going as well, although it won't be comparable to running or something.
    I would check with the doc regarding swimming, just in case. A quick phone call is all it takes. And please remember it is possible to make it worse, which would require even more of a layoff. I understand the frustration, I have been off for bowel resections, ostomy reversal, hernia repair, and finally a tibial stress fracture since 2012. I get it, it sucks to hear "no" especially when things were going well. But things are what they are and when you are all better, you can look back on it like it was no big deal. Hang in there!
  • amsmithatc33
    amsmithatc33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Swim with a leg block so it is all upper body.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like I'm going to be working on the upper body with weights - unfortunately my gym doesn't have a hand bike :(.

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Looks like I'm going to be working on the upper body with weights - unfortunately my gym doesn't have a hand bike :(.
    Amazon sells them for as little as $60, although I'd probably splurge and spend a bit more, depending on how long you expect to be off your feet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BXCF1U/