anyone use MyZone or should I stick to a PolarFT4?

Options
I am planning on buying a HRM and after lots of forum/review reading the most popular seems to be the polar FT4. I was at the gym yesterday and I saw a poster about MyZone. I have asked for more information and have basically just been told the watch will be £45 and everything else is done in the gym. I have been unable to find much about MyZone on the internet though.

As the watch is nearly the same cost as the Polar I was just wondering if anyone had used the MyZone system?

My concern is that is seems rather gimmicky - the machines already tell me how many effort points I have achieved while using them. I really just want to know roughly how many calories I am burning during TRX training, weight training and during my les mills classes!

Would you go for a stand alone HRM or the gyms system?

Replies

• Wubbie05
    Wubbie05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the my zone and use it for what you decribed, TRX, les mills, weights, and it's very accurate and helpful. I use it on the octane or stair climber and actually, it's more accurate than what the machines read.
  • royston_ashby
    royston_ashby Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Recently got a FT4 and was surprised how good it was. The chest strap is comfy and the watch is relatively trendy. Also, most of treadmills will automatically detect your HR because of the strap, so there is no need to keep looking down at your watch.

Very cheap and polar are a reliable brand!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use the MyZone HRM and love it! The only bit I dont like is, because I go to the gym at 5am, my effort rating is the only one on the screen! But I love that I can see how much effort each exercise requires and love the coloured graph which gets sent to your phone. Its as accurate as any other HRM and, I believe, gives as accurate a calorie burn as any other.

The only downside IMO is that you can't update it without going to the gym so if I run from home on a Saturday, I have to wait until I go to the gym on Monday to see my calorie burn and effort rating. Of course, if I WAS desperate I could head to the gym and update MyZone without actually working out but I haven't been that desperate yet!!!
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have just purchased the Polar FT60 and it has an OwnZone thing in it. Don't know if this is the same thing?
  • Wubbie05
    Wubbie05 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    I use the MyZone HRM and love it! The only bit I dont like is, because I go to the gym at 5am, my effort rating is the only one on the screen! But I love that I can see how much effort each exercise requires and love the coloured graph which gets sent to your phone. Its as accurate as any other HRM and, I believe, gives as accurate a calorie burn as any other.

The only downside IMO is that you can't update it without going to the gym so if I run from home on a Saturday, I have to wait until I go to the gym on Monday to see my calorie burn and effort rating. Of course, if I WAS desperate I could head to the gym and update MyZone without actually working out but I haven't been that desperate yet!!!

My gym sells the watch that, I believe, can give you the updates without needing to go to the gym :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No HRM is accurate for things like lifting, yoga, intervals, etc. NONE of them.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I really just want to know roughly how many calories I am burning during TRX training, weight training and during my les mills classes!

Personally I wouldn't recommend an HRM for his type of activity, regardless of brand.