Literally Square One.

Options
KTfromTX
KTfromTX Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So. I really want to start working out from home. Except that I have no idea where to start.. I'm sad to say I can't do a "real" push-up. I can barely do a sit-up.

Suggestions?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com. Over 400 free workouts for all levels. Use their search feature to find level 1 workouts, and you can also specify length, body weight only, etc. Good stuff.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You can do an elevated push up, that's where I'm starting. you can go with a 60 degree angle against a wall, a 45 degree angle against a strong railing, working your way down to full.

I don't believe in sit ups, there are better uses for my time :) but that's just my opinion.
  • DorotaS
    DorotaS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be to start small and work your way up. Don't get yourself caught up in what you can't do.. it just means you have a lot of room for growth and improvement and that's a GOOD thing.

I'd suggest first figuring out what you'd like to accomplish (specific weight loss goal, 10 minute mile, strength goal, etc), figure out what kind of exercises you might like (dancey versus intense cardio versus yoga, etc), how much time you can commit to it during the week, and whether you can/want to do things that may require equipment (like weights or resistance bands) or just use your body. Don't be afraid to try out different things if you're not familiar with different kinds of workouts. Sometimes it's hard to know what you'll like (or love!) until you find it and try it out. Don't worry about being perfect or doing everything fully, just do your best with whatever it is.

Have you gone on YouTube to look up exercises or maybe beginner workouts?
  • DorotaS
    DorotaS Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be to start small and work your way up. Don't get yourself caught up in what you can't do.. it just means you have a lot of room for growth and improvement and that's a GOOD thing.

I'd suggest first figuring out what you'd like to accomplish (specific weight loss goal, 10 minute mile, strength goal, etc), figure out what kind of exercises you might like (dancey versus intense cardio versus yoga, etc), how much time you can commit to it during the week, and whether you can/want to do things that may require equipment (like weights or resistance bands) or just use your body. Don't be afraid to try out different things if you're not familiar with different kinds of workouts. Sometimes it's hard to know what you'll like (or love!) until you find it and try it out. Don't worry about being perfect or doing everything fully, just do your best with whatever it is.

Have you gone on YouTube to look up exercises or maybe beginner workouts?
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    KTfromTX wrote: »
    So. I really want to start working out from home. Except that I have no idea where to start.. I'm sad to say I can't do a "real" push-up. I can barely do a sit-up.

Suggestions?
    I know what you mean I've been trying to get into working out and its tough I'm so out of shape . I just try like 20 mins in morning and at night . it helps good luck

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was to just start walking. On the treadmill or outside, then add speed and incline as much as you can handle. Now, I run and do other sports/exercises.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Working out at home with very little equipment, look at books like "You Are Your Own Gym" or "Body By You." They start with very easy movements and tell you how to make them harder as you get stronger.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Walk. It is the easiest and most efficient exercise you can start with. Then start adding some strenght training at home.
  • greeneyed1975
    greeneyed1975 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do squats, lunges, planks and push ups (knees on the ground though). I also do rows, bicep curls, etc with 5 lb hand weights. Even if u start with just 1 set of 8 reps, it's a good start!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Start a savings account or fund for equipment purchases.
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to not get discouraged by what you can't do, just focus on what you can and grow from there. When I first started losing weight I had to start my pushups like blankiefinder suggests, against a wall, then against the back of the couch, then on knees, and finally standard (omitting a few other variations in between). My standard for progression was if I could do 1 set of 20, then it was time to try something a little harder. Now I don't have any problems with pushups and often bust out a couple of sets on my lunch break.

As for working out from home in general I prefer this routine for beginners and cannot extoll the virtues of walking enough.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I second the www.fitnessblender.com recommendation. They rock over there! :)
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I love the C25K app along with Workout Trainer. Super simple, shows you the ropes and gets you moving. Also find something that you love to do. If you hate it you won't do it. Make small goals and work your way from there. Feel free to friend me!! I'm doing this all from home too!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I do squats, lunges, planks and push ups (knees on the ground though). I also do rows, bicep curls, etc with 5 lb hand weights. Even if u start with just 1 set of 8 reps, it's a good start!

You'd be better served doing push-ups at an incline - like wall, counter, stair, etc than from your knees
  • KTfromTX
    KTfromTX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll look into them!!