can't consume 1600 calories

Options
MFP gives me 1600 calories and I can't seem to consume all of them. I am aggravated daily with it telling me I need to eat more...what do i do?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You don't have to eat more volume, you can just use more calorie dense foods. Full fat dairy and cheese, olive and other oils, nuts, avocado etc. A lot of us, when we first decide to count calories focus really hard on the lowest calorie choices and it isn't neccesary. You don't need to add in extra food you don't want, just rethink the amount food you do have so it contains the calories you need.
  • kaviles1976
    kaviles1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank u
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1600 calories and I can't seem to consume all of them. I am aggravated daily with it telling me I need to eat more...what do i do?

No offense, but you do know how to achieve that calorie goal (in either food or drinks) or you wouldn't be here trying to lose weight.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No offense, but you do know how to achieve that calorie goal (in either food or drinks) or you wouldn't be here trying to lose weight.

I agree. If you have started to eat low fat foods change back to regular fat foods. Don't use 'light versions', don't be afraid to eat things that aren't low cal. I have cookies or brownies or chocolate etc. virtually every day and am down 19 pounds in 2 months (and I average 100 cals more a day than you do)
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1600 calories and I can't seem to consume all of them.

I pray to god to have this problem on a cut. All I need is the month before summer!!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your friends when you're trying to get your calories up. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • chadgledhill
    chadgledhill Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish i had your problem... i can find plenty to eat and still want more to eat.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    <rolls eyes>

Because you got to where you needed to lose weight by eating less than 1600, right?

• 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    drink a protein shake
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times when people say they have trouble reaching their calorie goal, it's either because they're vastly underestimating how much food they're eating (inaccurate logging), or else they're operating under the false assumption that they have to eat "clean" or "healthy" foods only.

OP, you obviously ate more than 1600 calories at some point, or else you wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight. You gained weight the same way we all did, by eating over your maintenance. So not only are you capable of eating more, you've done it.

Make sure you're measuring accurately. And make sure you're not stressing yourself out trying to eat only certain foods. It's okay to have cake sometimes too, you know.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    nutella
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you using skinny/diet/non fat products? Change those to normal products
    no fat yogurt for normal yogurt
    skim milk for full milk etc
    Use a spoon of olive oil in salads/dressings or cooking ( 120 calories) etc etc
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Is saving up the deficit during the week and then going hard in the weekend a valid option. Eat as much of a hot dog stuffed Doritos crust BBQ meat lovers with double topping. Job done?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Eat as much of a hot dog stuffed Doritos crust BBQ meat lovers with double topping. Job done?

Wait. Were you looking in my kitchen window tonight?

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Is saving up the deficit during the week and then going hard in the weekend a valid option. Eat as much of a hot dog stuffed Doritos crust BBQ meat lovers with double topping. Job done?

Dude, stop hacking my diary. I told you that wasn't cool.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I see someone has to resort to extremes as an example.

Pretty sure the poster was joking...?

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    @kaviles1976‌ Are you losing faster than you expected? If you are, then you are probably not hitting your calorie goal. If you're losing slower than expected, you are probably not logging accurately. If you are losing at your expected rate, just keep on doing what you are doing :)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Check your logging accuracy. Digital food scales instead of analogue or worse, measuring cups. Log your drinks too. Then eat ice cream if you're still struggling.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Grab a chocolate bar.....