Torn stomach muscle from pregnancy (Diastasis rectus)

Options
I have lost 30 lbs. (Hit my goal weight in July of last year but gained back 5 in Jan/Feb so in now 2.5 lbs away from my goal weight) but I don't feel as good about myself as I thought I would. When I weight 135 lbs @ 5'8 before I had my son I was tall, thin and in shape but now I have this gross line down my stomach that prevents me from wearing a 2 piece swim suit. I thought loosing weight would make it go away but it actually makes it stand out more. I have looked it up and others say that it's called "diastasis rectis" or a torn stomach muscle and the only way to get it fixed is to have it surgically reattached or a tummy tuck. Have any of you other mom's out there had this? I really want to find out how/if I can get rid of it. I have been doing sit ups but honestly not as many as I should. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this? Thank you!

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Physiotherapy has been shown to help, otherwise surgery is the only definitive treatment. It's entirely cosmetic and carries no health risk (unlike a hernia).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted your physician about it?
  • JamieMommy1985
    JamieMommy1985 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No I haven't but Im thinking I should, I really want it to go away. I know it's no health risk but it's just ugly. I worked so hard to loose weight and really wanted a nice stomach out of the deal, or at least a decent one. It's so not fair.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Pregnancy takes a toll doesn't it. I to suffer with this condition and agree with Lis that talking to your Dr about it is a great place to start. Corrective surgery is one option to consider but if you are planning on have more children you may need to wait till you have finished adding to your family....I'm just guessing here, so once again it is a Dr question.

Strength training particularly focusing on building core strength can help, also over time the skin will tighten up more and more after the weight loss but obviously there are limitations to it's success and how happy you will be with the look.

There are quite a few useful U-tube videos on how to help with this condition and I have read (source not known) that conventional sit-ups can make the issue more pronounced.....Google will be a friend here and there are some pretty inspiring changes ladies have had without having to go down the line of surgery.

Good luck.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to start multiple threads on the same topic.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10100586/torn-stomach-muscle#latest
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try a dvd called the mummy tummy.
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

chill
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    kroff2003 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

chill

I was just informing her. I wasn't being rude. Not many people read the guidelines before posting and it might be useful for the future (for her and others).
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    Thanks for the help I'll try the DVD.
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    Thank you both, I know for the future. I would delete if I could but from my phone its not an option.
  • JamieMommy1985
    Options
    Hi there,

Pregnancy takes a toll doesn't it. I to suffer with this condition and agree with Lis that talking to your Dr about it is a great place to start. Corrective surgery is one option to consider but if you are planning on have more children you may need to wait till you have finished adding to your family....I'm just guessing here, so once again it is a Dr question.

Strength training particularly focusing on building core strength can help, also over time the skin will tighten up more and more after the weight loss but obviously there are limitations to it's success and how happy you will be with the look.

There are quite a few useful U-tube videos on how to help with this condition and I have read (source not known) that conventional sit-ups can make the issue more pronounced.....Google will be a friend here and there are some pretty inspiring changes ladies have had without having to go down the line of surgery.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the helpful advice, I'll look for those YouTube videos.