Food addiction

Options

Replies

• HotPotato22
    Options
    Hardenton wrote: »
    I have quit smoking too in the past no problem. I also tried the "moderation" strategy when it comes to junk food and this never works. Unless you don't mind gaining back a few pounds, having water retention, digestive problems, feeling like crap and hating yourself for a few days every month, then go ahead and have your "cheat day"

I'm not against cheat days,I think telling most people to avoid them is extreme. If you can handle a cheat day I think you should. My cheat days used to lead to 4 day binges of around 6,000 calories a day, but I was also starving myself on good days and it took years to get it right, now I can handle a cheat day for the most part.

I do agree that food can be an addiction but I don't think people should be scolded for cheat days. I think it keeps a lot of people sane and on track.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Just reading the few links that worked (abstracts only), none of them are saying "we have proven that food is the same as drugs and can cause the same type of addictive behaviour/experience." I mean, the first one says that they are comparing similarities and differences between food consumption and addiction, and the second link doesn't seem to be making any concrete conclusions based on the conclusion:
    Do we have enough new evidence from neurofunctional and other studies to begin to suspect that human obesity is predominantly an addictive disorder characterized by compulsive eating? We cannot say for sure, as yet. Some critical steps needed to further our understanding include establishing [as preliminary data seem to suggest (31)] whether dopamine is released in response to food ingestion in humans (as it is in animals)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Unless you don't mind gaining back a few pounds, having water retention, digestive problems, feeling like crap and hating yourself for a few days every month, then go ahead and have your "cheat day"

I have cheat meals about once a week, and I don't have any of those problems, especially the self loathing you mentioned. Maybe you should reexamine your relationship with food bro, it doesn't sound healthy.

Rigger

• HotPotato22
    Options
    "Addiction is a chronically relapsing disorder characterized by compulsion to seek and take the drug; loss of control in limiting intake of the drug; and onset of a negative emotional state (e.g., anxiety, irritability) when access to the drug is prevented (i.e., dependence) (5). In addicted drug users, craving is elicited by exposure to drug-related cues, which may trigger a relapse. A similar behavior characterizes the craving for food in overeaters (6). It is known that eating disorders tend to cluster with drug and alcohol abuse in individuals and families (6), and common neural circuits are thought to underlie food and drug rewards, including opioid (7, 8, 9), serotoninergic (8, 9), and dopaminergic pathways (8, 9, 10)."
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    rhetorical
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Just reading the few links that worked (abstracts only), none of them are saying "we have proven that food is the same as drugs and can cause the same type of addictive behaviour/experience." I mean, the first one says that they are comparing similarities and differences between food consumption and addiction, and the second link doesn't seem to be making any concrete conclusions based on the conclusion:
    Do we have enough new evidence from neurofunctional and other studies to begin to suspect that human obesity is predominantly an addictive disorder characterized by compulsive eating? We cannot say for sure, as yet. Some critical steps needed to further our understanding include establishing [as preliminary data seem to suggest (31)] whether dopamine is released in response to food ingestion in humans (as it is in animals)

They are doing research on the subject because they think food addiction is very real and are spending money and resources to learn more about it. There are also psychologists that make a living off of people with food addiction and 12 step programs.

Maybe you don't think it is an addiction. I don't think tobacco is addicting but I don't shame others who can't seem to quit.

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02791072.2012.662092#.VPU7oV2N1b1

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2003.68/full

I too have a degree in nutrition and food addiction.

I smoked cigarettes for 15 years and quit cold turkey no problem but not eating junk food was the hardest thing I've ever done. I won't get into details, but I have done very addictive drugs for years and gave that up without a single withdrawl. If you say comparing food addiction to a "real addiction" is silly it is because you don't struggle from it, not because it isn't real.

First off, how is linking abstracts that themselves discuss the theory of food as and addiction as "proven time and time again?"

Here's an article arguing that it's at best "eating addiction" focusing on the behavior rather than the food itself.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140

Secondly... you have a degree in food addiction? Seems made up.

Ok, reply away with inanity, I'm going to bed now. Because I am addicted to it. I feel compelled to do it every night and I have withdrawals when I don't do it.

• Hardenton
    Hardenton Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I have cheat meals about once a week, and I don't have any of those problems, especially the self loathing you mentioned. Maybe you should reexamine your relationship with food bro, it doesn't sound healthy.

Rigger

I've had disordered eating since my teen years, so my relationship with food is definitely not healthy. I think cheat meals are fine, as long as they don't lead to cheat days and you only eat as much as you plan on eating. The problem with cheat meals is once you start, it's hard to stop. Once the reward pathways are activated and the dopamine receptors are firing, your brain is gonna want more and more.
  • HotPotato22
    Options

I smoked cigarettes for 15 years and quit cold turkey no problem but not eating junk food was the hardest thing I've ever done. I won't get into details, but I have done very addictive drugs for years and gave that up without a single withdrawl. If you say comparing food addiction to a "real addiction" is silly it is because you don't struggle from it, not because it isn't real.

First off, how is linking abstracts that themselves discuss the theory of food as and addiction as "proven time and time again?"

Here's an article arguing that it's at best "eating addiction" focusing on the behavior rather than the food itself.

Ok, reply away with inanity, I'm going to bed now. Because I am addicted to it. I feel compelled to do it every night and I have withdrawals when I don't do it.

Yes you should make fun of people who severely struggle with food problems.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I'm surprised there is a degree in food addiction. I tried googling it and nothing came up. What exactly is involved in a food addiction degree.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    lol I meant to say struggled with food addiction.

Degree in nutrition. Didn't even notice I wrote that, my apologies, although I did take some classes on disordered eating.

I know a lot of psychologists and MD's that consider food an addiction, some that don't. Since I have personally struggled with it I consider it an addiction and I feel sympathy for people in the same boat because you eat to live, it is really tough to kick, and it can ruin lives.

Although they do have food addiction professions where you usually need a joint-degree in psychology and nutrition, although I don't have that.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Where exactly does one get a degree in food addiction?

probably an RD and a masters in psychology would be how you could get into the field, at least that is what my professor who only worked with disordered eating did.

• RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Unless you don't mind gaining back a few pounds, having water retention, digestive problems, feeling like crap and hating yourself for a few days every month, then go ahead and have your "cheat day"

Rigger

Same here.

I keep my calorie intake bang on for the rest of the week and allow myself a cheat meal or two a week for birthdays/dinners out with friends. No self loathing involved, maybe a little bloating but hey, I'm a woman, we deal with that BS all the time...
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The thing is that nearly everyone on this board has struggled with food problems. Why do you think the majority of people are here trying to lose weight? Most of us have just learned how to manage them, and it was not without effort believe me. I also labeled myself as a food addict for years. I would binge and overeat until I was in pain, and I got to nearly 300 pounds doing so. It wasn't until recently, about the last year or so, that I realized it's not truly an addiction, never was. It's behavioral and can be managed, but you have to WANT to change, and I mean really want to change not just say you do, and learn to have a healthy relationship with food. Having "cheat days" is not having a healthy relationship with food IMO. I don't have cheat days. I work what I want into my calories, and if I can't have it one day then I have it another. Do I occasionally go over on calories? Yes, but I don't call it a cheat day. That would imply that I did something wrong or that certain foods are bad.

• HotPotato22
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »

The thing is that nearly everyone on this board has struggled with food problems. Why do you think the majority of people are here trying to lose weight? Most of us have just learned how to manage them, and it was not without effort believe me. I also labeled myself as a food addict for years. I would binge and overeat until I was in pain, and I got to nearly 300 pounds doing so. It wasn't until recently, about the last year or so, that I realized it's not truly an addiction, never was. It's behavioral and can be managed, but you have to WANT to change, and I mean really want to change not just say you do, and learn to have a healthy relationship with food. Having "cheat days" is not having a healthy relationship with food IMO. I don't have cheat days. I work what I want into my calories, and if I can't have it one day then I have it another. Do I occasionally go over on calories? Yes, but I don't call it a cheat day. That would imply that I did something wrong or that certain foods are bad.

Some have struggled worse than others and I think people who can't relate are dismissive and that seems insensitive to me. You say it can be managed, so can any addiction. Alcoholics and drug addicts can change under the same premise, if they WANT to change. If they aren't committed they will relapse.

I'm not saying one should claim food addiction and avoid blame for their behavior but biology and mental health plays a huge role with food. For some people it is just convenient to eat fast food, for others it is an obsessive compulsion that interferes with their life and well-being.
  • jnv7594
    edited March 2015
    Options

Some have struggled worse than others and I think people who can't relate are dismissive and that seems insensitive to me. You say it can be managed, so can any addiction. Alcoholics and drug addicts can change under the same premise, if they WANT to change. If they aren't committed they will relapse.

I'm not saying one should claim food addiction and avoid blame for their behavior but biology and mental health plays a huge role with food. For some people it is just convenient to eat fast food, for others it is an obsessive compulsion that interferes with their life and well-being.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. Like I said, I work in a drug treatment facility. I see those men struggle day in and day out. It's not the same at all IMO. I can relate just fine with people with food issues. I've had an unhealthy relationship with food nearly my whole life. I just don't believe it's an addiction.

• HotPotato22
    Options

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. Like I said, I work in a drug treatment facility. I see those men struggle day in and day out. It's not the same at all IMO. I can relate just fine with people with food issues. I've had an unhealthy relationship with food nearly my whole life. I just don't believe it's an addiction.

Well I was able to give up drugs quite easily but not fatty foods, we all have our own struggles.
  • jnv7594
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well I was able to give up drugs quite easily but not fatty foods, we all have our own struggles.

Then count yourself lucky. I have yet to meet someone who is truly a drug addict that said getting clean and staying clean was easy. Actually, that's a pretty dismissive attitude you have as well if you want to throw that word around.