Day 2 with no sugar....I'm addicted!

Options
I am trying to let go of all of the sugar and sugar substitutes in my diet. It's only day 2 and I am going bonkers! It comes in waves where I really want it and then I am ok for a while. Any practical advice to help get me through this?

Replies

• kendrickmarisha
    kendrickmarisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    daizzi wrote: »
    I am trying to let go of all of the sugar and sugar substitutes in my diet. It's only day 2 and I am going bonkers! It comes in waves where I really want it and then I am ok for a while. Any practical advice to help get me through this?

• kendrickmarisha
    kendrickmarisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to keep being strong the next couple of days. This period is the hardest period to get thru. Also, you can eat more fruit to get the natural sweetness it has. Increase your water intake the next couple of days ao
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet (low carb!) so I know how you feel. I find that a nice cup of herbal tea can help with my cravings. You could get a fruit tea or something so it seems like you're having sugar when you aren't. (I'm a fan of peppermint tea actually, it's not sweet at all but kills the cravings for me).
  • daizzi
    daizzi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I went and bought some herbal tea and the flavored sparkling water it helped!
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Banana cinnamon smoothie with milk or unsweetened almond/coconut milk. You won't miss table sugar ever again :)
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a substitute of something that seems indulgent? Early on, and even now during rough patches... I consume pea pods and apples like there is no tomorrow. It takes a ton of pea pods to get to 100 calories, and they are a bit of a treat as I love them SO MUCH (really, I think they are filled with crack). Apples seemed to meet my need for sweets. You can do this. Get through the first few weeks and it will be easier!
  • Cristy3685
    Options
    It is HARD! Yesterday I had major sugar cravings. I was so irritable and just uncomfortable but I knew I would be disappointed if I gave into my craving. You just have to stay strong and know that you control everything that goes into your mouth.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil or Magnesium are also good for deal with sugar cravings. Just keep telling youself that the first few days will be the hardest.
  • meljimenez777
    Options
    Same here day two. Well limit 50 grams a day
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bacon. Brie. Eat lots of fat and it's o.k. to eat to maintenance during this time.
    By now you are through the worst of it. After this it is not really about the cravings -- more about the habits you are changing.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't give up sugar, but I know when I'm craving something I usually sip on hot beverages or drink water constantly. Or go for a walk. Do something that occupies your mind, like reading, knitting, play a logic challenging game ect.
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When sugar is ingested, it immediately hits the blood stream and once the brain registers the sugar in the system, it releases the same opioids as it would if you were snorting something. Opioids are chemicals in the brain that cause us to be more tolerant of pain or even decrease our awareness of pain as well as increases feelings of pleasure and euphoria. The pleasureful feelings are the high we all experience. This, in my mind, is the cornerstone of emotional eating.

Excerpted from What Is Sugar Addiction? - A Black Girl's Guide To Weight Loss

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/food-101/what-is-sugar-addiction/
  • magmom10
    magmom10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have tried for a month to stay away from sugar and artificial sweeteners. Sometimes I take a bite or two of something sweet but not like I used to. Craving s have definitely gone! And I've lost weight. I'm cutting back on carbs too. I agree with sipping hot tea's and keeping busy!!!
    Good luck!
  • chewelvinna
    chewelvinna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I cant imagine my life without sugar..omgg

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    magmom10 wrote: »
    I have tried for a month to stay away from sugar and artificial sweeteners. Sometimes I take a bite or two of something sweet but not like I used to. Craving s have definitely gone! And I've lost weight. I'm cutting back on carbs too. I agree with sipping hot tea's and keeping busy!!!
    Good luck!

Congrats on feeling better about how you handle sugars!
    For me, with carbs: generally speaking if they are higher fiber, I feel better and happier following my own personal diet. (Ie I find that I do better if I limit heavily refined grains. Someone once referred to them (minute rice, store bought standard white bread etc.) as "partially pre-digested" lol.
  • Firefighter82633
    Firefighter82633 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work. Sugar is a true addiction. I'm on day 8 without it :o
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Keep strong, every day that passes it will get steadily easier. I kept a tally of how many days I went without the sugary foods that caused me to binge and it helped me keep going.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

Indeed. Yep, the average person can eat at a deficit while eating crap every three hours and make the scale go down.

What is it "food for thought" for?
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

Indeed. Yep, the average person can eat at a deficit while eating crap every three hours and make the scale go down.

What is it "food for thought" for?

That sugar isn't the enemy. That CICO works. Seems like some folks are always looking for a particular food to blame. Gets old, IMO.