Omron has been lying to me!

Options
So I've been tracking my body fat for some time using one of those Omron handheld ones. It's been reporting numbers that started as high as 39% at 278 pounds in mid 2013, and gradually tracking downward, reaching a low of 34.3% at 253 pounds this past Saturday morning. I always figured since it was pretty consistent and was gradually tracking downward that it was probably pretty close.

So then, my wife talked me into one of these Fitbit Aria scales. Well, it tells me my body fat is actually 41.1%, and god*&!# it if the US Navy calculator doesn't agree with it when I put my waist and neck measurements in.

Anyway, doesn't change anything about the plan, but just wanted to rant for a moment and say that a gain of 17lb of body fat in my spreadsheet in 2 days is very upsetting!

Carry on. :) (I'll be fine, this actually changes nothing, just highlights how much variance these things can have)

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Anyway, doesn't change anything about the plan

Yes, keep doing what you are doing.

For what it's worth, the Fitbit Aria scale and the Navy calculator are probably wrong, too.

All body fat measurement systems are flawed in one way or another. The only accurate way to find out your actual body fat percentage would be via autopsy.

However, if you are very curious, you could Google hydrostatic body fat testing in your local area (check with your local university's department of kinesiology). It is likely to yield a more accurate estimate of your body fat than the Omron, the Fitbit Aria or the Navy calculator. But perhaps you'd prefer to wait and do that when you are closer to your ultimate goal.

Keep going!

• sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well, have you been using it first thing in the morning, before getting a shower with dry hands, or at a different time? Do you have it set at athletic or regular?

On 2/15 I measured my BF with the omron (I only do it when my weight is xxx.5 or xxx.0) and got 22.8%, the YMCA formula gave me 22.22%, covert baily (?) gave me 24.14% and the Navy formula gave 26.81% I average the three formulas, so I had 24.39% that day, but with variances, it is close enough.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All body fat measurement systems are flawed in one way or another. The only accurate way to find out your actual body fat percentage would be via autopsy.

^^ I loved that!

I too have the omeron body scale. My body fat is high, I hope it's not even higher!! I am now interested to find out my measurements with the U.S. Navy calculator too.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    BF% scales don't need to be accurate, just precise. As long as the number is consistent and decreasing, you're good.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know. :smiley: The new number actually makes a lot more sense in the context of what a 5'8" man is 'supposed' to weigh. My spreadsheet is still very upset though, just sayin'.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Both of those use an inaccurate method of measuring body fat %. I would only use ONE and hope that it's atleast consistent. As long as you see it drending downward you should be good. :)
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying about the spreadsheet being thrown off. LOL. That would bug me too. When I bought a new scale, that showed a 2.5 lb weight gain, it drove me crazy. I finally went back and altered the data on all of my past weights by 2.5 pounds.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You may have been in the wrong mode setting on your Omron. Do it as Athlete and then as Regular. I bet one of those will be the same as the Aria (or darn close). Regardless, don't throw out your spreadsheet! You might want to keep using the same device, your downward trend is not a lie, even if the absolute number wasn't correct due to settings or user error (and as mentioned above, Aria or Navy could also be inaccurate).