Lacking motivation

Options
i started my journey to fitness last tuesday and i got a gym membership and everything but im lacking motivation because i feel dumb at the gym. Like every one is so into what theyre doing and personal trainers charge too much its $50 a session. Idk im just bummed and confused

Replies

• jess427
    jess427 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same here with the lack of motivation, really was never much of a gym person but maybe if you scope it out or ask the staff for hours that aren't so crowded n stick some headphones in and get going! :) only way it wrkd when I went, at least till I felt lk I knew what I was doing cuz some ppl work out to the extreme n then I feel out of place, with my non athletic skills lol
  • davidlashbrook
    Options
    Jess and Karely, that is great that you are posting here and asking for help! The gym can be an intimidating place! I prefer to workout at home myself because of that reason and I hate waiting for others to be done to use equipment. I felt like I was competing with everybody else there too which is silly but I think it's normal to feel that way when you're new to the gym. Just remember everybody started at one point in their health journey and are probably more understanding than you think. So don't feel "dumb". Don't be afraid to ask somebody for help or instruction. You might be surprised how many people are willing to help you. Also getting support from others has been the difference maker for me losing weight. I joined an awesome accountability group on Facebook and it helps so much. We all log our MFP macros, report our calories consumed vs target and say what our workout was for each day. It really helps to keep you honest and on track! It makes you really want to post close to your targets. But if you are having a bad day they are great at supporting and encouraging you to really bring it the next day! I can't imagine where i would be without my accountability family! If you want to join mine, there's plenty of room. Let me know. If not there are plenty others out there. Either way keep your head up and work consistently everyday and you will reach your goal!
  • seanifex
    seanifex Posts: 4
    Options
    i started my journey to fitness last tuesday and i got a gym membership and everything but im lacking motivation because i feel dumb at the gym. Like every one is so into what theyre doing and personal trainers charge too much its $50 a session. Idk im just bummed and confused
    What questions do you have?
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First of all, everyone is so much less interested in us than we all think! They're all focused on themselves, and probably don't even notice what you're up to. Also, ask the gym staff!! They're there for more than just collecting fees! ;). You could also do a little homework before hand by googling gym equipment. There are a lot of good (and bad, be warned!) YouTube vids showing you how to use the stuff properly so you don't end up hurting yourself. Also, ask other gym goers if they're finished with the equipment before jumping on. (There's a difference between using and hogging though!) My biggest piece of advice is just to get educated early-on. That's gonna help you get motivated, save you from injury, and keep you from wasting your money. Congrats on starting your journey, and have fun!!