sugars in fruit

Options
I've recently lost two stone and am trying to loose a further four stone,I understand an excess Of sugar makes you gain weight I'm just wondering if this is true for sugars found in fruit,I'm a big berry eater and could only eat berrys in the day sometimes I'm just wondering if this excess of sugars is bad for my weight loss?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Excess calories make you gain weight not excess sugar.
    Look at your whole diet not just one component.
  • Smellerella91
    Smellerella91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    But does an excess of sugar not turn into fat also??
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No. An excess of sugar does not turn into fat.
    An excess of calories whether they be from fat, carbs, or sugar results in fat gain.
    (When the body wants to add fat, it does not care where those extra calories are coming from.)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If you are in an overall calorie deficit you will be losing weight.
    Many people don't track sugar at all as it's just a sub-set of carbs. I prefer to track fibre as sugar tracking is totally irrelevant to me.

This is well worth a read....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit. It is very good for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Yes, of course. An excess of calories from any sourse turns to fat. If I eat a lot of sugar I bloat, which is also weight gain, though not fat gain. Still sucks though.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Only in a calorie surplus. And in that case, any macro nutrient would...
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    As already stated, it is not sugar that causes weight gain but excess calories. Your body cannot tell the difference between sugar in fruit or the type of sugar in candy...sugar is sugar. The nutrients in fruit make fruit the better choice over junk food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fruit also has fiber and vitamins that you need. Fruit is great.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt anyone developed a weight problem from eating too much fruit.
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit is great! Don't worry about the sugar content, it is nothing like the sugars found in candy!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @jeneticir Ummm, same sugars as found in candy.
    Fruit sugars are glucose and fructose. The same with many candies. But fruits have more; fiber for satiety and vitamins.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I really hope a certain poster doesn't find this thread.

OP, barring certain medical conditions, there's no need to worry about any sugar that comes from fruit, dairy, and vegetables. Current dietary guidelines which have just been released call for moderation when it comes to added sugars.

This has nothing, however, to do with weight gain. Weight is regulated by the overall consumption of calories vs. the amount of energy your body expends.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. I really hope a certain poster doesn't find this thread.

OP, barring certain medical conditions, there's no need to worry about any sugar that comes from fruit, dairy, and vegetables. Current dietary guidelines which have just been released call for moderation when it comes to added sugars.

This has nothing, however, to do with weight gain. Weight is regulated by the overall consumption of calories vs. the amount of energy your body expends.

Oh, they'll come.

And hell will come with them.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Barring a medical condition, going over your sugar from fruit or anything else will not hinder your weight loss if you are in a caloric deficit.

Many people do not even track sugar. I don't track sugar or sodium - I track fiber and iron instead.