PCOS weight loss/fertility

Options
Anyone have success with using mfp to loose weight and conceive? Is it merely lowering your carbs using the protein/carb method or limiting the calories for ppl like us? Insulin resistant with pcos. Taking metformin 500mg day. My fasting glucose was 105 :-(

Replies

• jennhubbard84
    jennhubbard84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So far I'm having success losing weight, down about sixteen pounds in a month and a half, I have a total of 150 to lose, and my goal is so I can have a baby. I've lost 2 over the last 5 years and ended up losing my right fallopian tube due to a burst tubal pregnancy, which caused me to gain more weight from being depressed. But I turned thirty in October and I have a thirteen year old son, so for me the time is now or never, both times I got pregnant I was talking 1000-2000 mg of metformin, I think the first pregnancy I lost because I quit taking metformin during my first trimester, I've looked into it and my honest opinion is that it had a negative effect on my body.... Hoping after I drop at least 75 to 100 pounds I can try again
  • lindseyrenee8
    lindseyrenee8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for a while and I also have 100+ to loose. My doctor will increase the metformin dosage at my next visit this month. I think me being depressed of not being able to conceive has also helped me tip the scale. Im wondering if lowering my sugar intake will be better for insulin resistance or overall loosing weight.
  • melanie_a_h
    melanie_a_h Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had been trying for a baby for a while. With pcos I was discouraged. I weighed 170 at 5'7. I went on a low carb diet created for me by my personal trainer and I was doing Jillian michaels every day.im not sure how insulin would effect your diet but I highly recommend seeing a trained personal trainer and having a diet put together for you personally! I went down to 138 within about a month. I conceived shortly after! I do believe there is success in loosing weight with pcos! You can do it! :)
  • MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That's one reason why I joined MFP. Currently unable to conceive and hoping losing weight helps or at least gets me to a good weight before I go on hormone treatments. Right now one ovary doesn't work and one is partially functional so hopefully once I drop the weight my hormones will balance so I can get back on track. So far I've lost 8lbs in about 2 weeks. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Carbs are the key thing, but you also need to be eating a reasonable number of calories and getting a significant amount of exercise.

Has your doctor told you about Clomid?
  • mrsnightengale
    mrsnightengale Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ive been losing pretty steadily with the app. I struggle with PCOS (but not insulin resistant), lupus, and Fibro. I've got about 10-15lbs to go before I'm at a low enough BMI to start fertility treatments but more then 100+ to be a completely healthy weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had both trouble conceiving and several miscarriages earlier in life. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and am insuline resistant. I was not even overweight at the time. For me, the key was maintaining my weight to the lower range of normal, following dr's orders, through a balanced diet (no restrictions on any food group) and daily exercising. I have 3 kids, without fertility treatements or metformin. Through the years, whenever I stopped exercising for a while, or a few kilos krept back, not enough to put me even close to the overweight category, symptoms of PCOS started appearing again (irregular cycles, facial hair, acne). Getting back to a lower weight and exercising again regulalry so far appears to be enough to just get things back to symptom free.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I, too, have PCOS and hypothyroidism. My fiance and I are to start clomid next month even though my BMI is very high. A part of me is scared to do it this large. But, mgmy ob/gyn knows what she's doing I suppose. I've lost 20 pounds before going to my appointment and she knew we've been trying for 3 years. I know I need to limit my carbs to ovulate. Its just so much Harder when one has pcos. Insulin resistance causes our bodies to crave carbs ALL THE TIME. I definitely think lower carb is the answer though:( I am waiting to see if I naturally ovulated using Fertility Blend this month. I can add you as a friend if you'd like?
  • lindseyrenee8
    lindseyrenee8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lowering carbs is such a feat for me but I'm trying. My future baby is my motivation.
  • katerinawaller
    Options
    I lost weight to concieve. But went a bit far! I got a bit too thin, and my fertility went downhill. I got pregnant when I exercised in moderation, and ate a healthy amount x
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    pengy7583 wrote: »
    Lowering carbs is such a feat for me but I'm trying. My future baby is my motivation.

It is hard at the beginning to lower carbs when you are so used to eating them. But, a higher protein and fat ratio really does keep you more satisfied than carbs (maybe not a feel good soul food type satisfied, but less hungry in general) :). I have PCOS, insulin resistance, and hypothyroidism, I take Metformin 500mg twice a day, and synthroid in the morning. I started my weight loss journey January 9th, and have consistently lost 2 pounds a week. I keep a deficit throughout the week, some days I go over, but compensate for it the next day or throughout the week. I exercise 3-4 times a week for 25-45 minutes depending on the workout. I try to be aware of my macros and keep my carbs about 40% of my diet, and this seems to work for me. Don't cut carbs completely, or drastically because your body does need them! Good luck!
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me not to eat more than seven sugars in any two hour period. This is hard at first but in a short time your body stops craving the sugar. If you get rid of the added/refined sugar this is much easier. Also, you need to exercise if you are not. I had a difficult time with getting a diagnosis and the PCOS along with endometriosis caused me to need a hysterectomy at 34. Luckily, I was able to have a child before that. (I needed medical intervention however) I completely understand depression with infertility. My husband and I planned to have a larger family and it has taken me a long time to deal with my inability to conceive. I empathize and I hope that you are able to get your PCOS under control and have a baby
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I had both trouble conceiving and several miscarriages earlier in life. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and am insuline resistant. I was not even overweight at the time. For me, the key was maintaining my weight to the lower range of normal, following dr's orders, through a balanced diet (no restrictions on any food group) and daily exercising. I have 3 kids, without fertility treatements or metformin. Through the years, whenever I stopped exercising for a while, or a few kilos krept back, not enough to put me even close to the overweight category, symptoms of PCOS started appearing again (irregular cycles, facial hair, acne). Getting back to a lower weight and exercising again regulalry so far appears to be enough to just get things back to symptom free.

I just had bloodwork come back yesterday, so I'm obviously super researching now! This is pretty inspirational for me as I'd like to control this without medication and I'm not super overweight (I think I'm technically about 5 pounds overweight...not something I was worrying about much!). I am going to make alterations to my diet and begin exercising more regularly. For me, the major diet change is going to be limiting my sugar intake as I'm fairly on track with most other things. I will also have to be more careful of my carbs.
  • Catter_05
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I typed more but it got cut off
    My advice in a nutshell
    -weigh your food
    -keep your carbs and sugars on the low side (this doesn't have to be extreme)
    -find an exercise routine you enjoy and will stick to
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I, too, have PCOS and hypothyroidism. My fiance and I are to start clomid next month even though my BMI is very high. A part of me is scared to do it this large. But, mgmy ob/gyn knows what she's doing I suppose. I've lost 20 pounds before going to my appointment and she knew we've been trying for 3 years. I know I need to limit my carbs to ovulate. Its just so much Harder when one has pcos. Insulin resistance causes our bodies to crave carbs ALL THE TIME. I definitely think lower carb is the answer though:( I am waiting to see if I naturally ovulated using Fertility Blend this month. I can add you as a friend if you'd like?

Talk to your dr before going low carb or before deciding on any particular nutrition plan. Hypothyroidism for example puts you at high risk for increased triglycerides, so for example increasing fat in an attempt to lower carbs might not be safe, if you do not take into consideration where fat is coming from.
  • Catter_05
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

I just had bloodwork come back yesterday, so I'm obviously super researching now! This is pretty inspirational for me as I'd like to control this without medication and I'm not super overweight (I think I'm technically about 5 pounds overweight...not something I was worrying about much!). I am going to make alterations to my diet and begin exercising more regularly. For me, the major diet change is going to be limiting my sugar intake as I'm fairly on track with most other things. I will also have to be more careful of my carbs.

Definitely, diet and exercise are key. I have never, technically, been overweight. Just out of shape. You don't have to be overweight to have PCOS.