Soups! Soups! Soups!

Options
GreenValli
GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
For those of you who have not noticed, there is an great article with wonderful low calorie soup recipes under the BLOG tab. I plan on making one each week for the next month.
70044776.png

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love soup. I am interested in the article, but could not find it. Could you please post a link? Thanks in advance.
  • rennsand
    Options
    I think this is the soup article GreenValli referenced:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/15-hearty-soups-youll-want-to-sip-on-under-355-calories/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love soups!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • GreenValli
    Options
    Yes, that is the article, Rennsand. Thanks for posting the link. I thought everyone could access it from the BLOG tab on blue ribbon on the top of MFP.
  • GreenValli
    Options
    If anyone is interested in making a soup from the soup article that I mentioned was on the Blog tab, I made the Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup from the soup recipe article. It was very good and very filling with lots of vegetables.

I entered the ingredients into the My Recipe Box on the Food and Recipe tab and it calculated 136 calories for a cup serving. The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but I changed it to 8 because it made 8 cups of soup. I made a few changes. I used a zucchini and replaced the red pepper with green beans since I had them in the freezer. My non-calorie counting husband loved it, too.

I will try a different one next week. I like to try different recipes and there were several good ones that I have my eye on.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love soup! I make a crockpot of soup every Wednesday. I'll have to check that blog out for some new ideas. Thanks for sharing.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yum!!! Soup
  • GreenValli
    Options
    Sunflower, A crockpot of soup every Wednesday. I like that.

Next week I will be making the Tortellini Vegetable Soup. A pot of soup goes a long way at my house since there are only 2 of us. My husband does take it to work for lunch sometimes. Very economical and usually healthy, too.

70044776.png
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Greenvalli - if I don't do soup on Wed we end up eating out or grabbing take out. We have activities that evening so it has to be ready when we walk in the door. I'm just lucky that my kids love soup of all kinds.
  • GreenValli
    Options
    Just to let you know if you are interested, I did make the Tortellini Vegetable Soup yesterday. It was wonderful, especially with the low calorie count. My husband does not like vegetables too much but did like the soup with the squash in it. The package of tortellini was 12 ounces, so I just used half the package (6oz.) instead of the 9 ounces the recipe indicates. That actually made the recipe a few less calories, too. It makes a BIG pot full!

I would suggest you use all the spices listed to add flavor. It is very tomatoy with the crushed tomatos and chicken broth as the base. I did add some spinach since it was in the refrigerator.

I actually served it with rolls and made homemade chicken nuggets too, because my husband is definitely a "carnivore". "Where's the meat?" kind of guy.

Again, here is the link to the soup article if you want to try it or any of the other 14 soups:

This is the soup article GreenValli referenced:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/15-hearty-soups-youll-want-to-sip-on-under-355-calories/[/quote]

• jessicasim92
    Options
    Try a vegan pumpkin soup recipe. There's one on this app called sidechef. Here's the website: sidechef.com/download
  • GreenValli
    Options
    Jessica,

Pumpkin soup sounds good! I have made butternut squash soup before and really enjoyed it. Does your recipe use a pumpkin or canned pumpkin? I don't know if there are stores around that sell pumpkins this time of the year.
  • GreenValli
    Options
    MyFitnessPal seems to have removed the article that featured 15 soup recipes. But here is a new one. BTW you will find wonderful recipes and other articles under the BLOG tab.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/14-quick-and-simple-soups-and-stews-400-calories-or-less/
  • alicjakrol
    alicjakrol Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried an African Peanut Soup at a local vegan restaurant and I was impressed with how good it was. I found a coconut milk free version here:
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/
  • GreenValli
    Options
    alicjakrol wrote: »
    I tried an African Peanut Soup at a local vegan restaurant and I was impressed with how good it was. I found a coconut milk free version here:
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/

Boy, that sure looks good! We love African food and Chicken Saute with peanut sauce at our house. I am wondering how many calories that soup might have per serving. I am looking for my "soup on the week" recipe for next week before I make my shopping list. Will put the ingredients in the recipe calculator later this afternoon and see what the calorie count is. If anyone else is interested, I will post the results.
  • GreenValli
    Options
    Thanks to Alicjakrol:

Vegan African Peanut Soup
    192 calories per serving

Total Cost: $5.64
    Cost Per Serving: $0.94
    Serves: 6 (1.5 cups each)
    Ingredients
    • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.02
    • 4 cloves garlic $0.32
    • 1 inch fresh ginger $0.15
    • 1 medium (1 lb.) sweet potato $1.32
    • 1 medium onion $0.42
    • 1 tsp cumin $0.10
    • ¼ tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
    • 1 (6oz.) can tomato paste $0.59
    • ½ cup natural style chunky peanut butter $0.93
    • 6 cups vegetable broth $0.81
    • ½ bunch (2-3 cups chopped) collard greens $0.75
    • ¼ bunch cilantro, garnish (optional) $0.21
    Instructions
    1. Peel and grate the ginger using a small holed cheese grater. Mince the garlic. Sauté the ginger and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic becomes soft and fragrant.
    2. Dice the onion, add it to the pot, and continue to sauté. Dice the sweet potato (1/2 inch cubes), add it to the pot, and continue to sauté a few minutes more, or until the onion is soft and the sweet potato takes on a darker, slightly translucent appearance. Season with cumin and red pepper flakes.
    3. Add the tomato paste and peanut butter, and stir until everything is evenly mixed. Add the vegetable broth and stir to dissolve the thick tomato paste-peanut butter mixture. Place a lid on the pot and turn the heat up to high.
    4. While the soup is coming up to a boil, prepare the collard greens. Rinse the greens well, then use a sharp knife to remove each stem (cut along the side of each stem). Stack the leaves, then cut them into thin strips. Add the collard strips to the soup pot.
    5. Once the soup reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and allow it to simmer without a lid for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very soft. Once soft, smash about half of the sweet potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon to help thicken the soup. Taste the soup and add salt if needed (will depend on the brand of broth used).
    6. Serve the stew hot with a few cilantro leaves if desired.

• jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GreenValli
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Minestrone soup this week. A bit spicy made with spicy V-8.

70044776.png