Beets

Options
Boccellin
Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
So I bought some beets (complete with greens) from the grocery store today because they were on sale. Never really had them before. Anyone have any good ideas for recipes?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    roast them
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    ditto - best ever roasted vegetable.
  • mtu_86
    mtu_86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pickle them. Mix about 1/2 cup water and 1/2 vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar) and add sugar to sweeten. I start with about 1 tablespoon. Sweeten to your taste. Mix and let set. Boil beets till soft - kinda like you do for potatoes for mashed potatoes - fork should slide in easily. Let cool and peel. Slice into liquid. Let set overnight. The smaller beats are better than bigger beats. I also put hard boiled eggs in with my beets.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    For the greens: you must trim them off the beets IMMEDIATELY if you want to eat them.

Trim 'em off, wash 'em, saute w/ a little olive oil, maybe some garlic.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    frmrvrs52h35.jpg

Grill til soft, edges are shriveled and slightly burned. Brush with olive oil and add pepper. For the truly courageous add goat cheese.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i LOVE roasting them in cubes with butternut squash, balsamic reduction glaze, and maple syrup (enough for taste).or i boil them , beet, then the greens. eat it with a bit of butter and vinegar.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat them raw.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Roasted beets are absolutely wonderful!

You can also slice them thinly and braise them in orange juice and balsamic vinegar until tender. *drool*
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil and rosemary.
    Stir fry the greens.
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    If you're bored, there's a vegan oreo-stuffed red velvet cookie recipe that uses beets. It's on this app called sidechef. website's sidechef.com/download
  • jamie_reynolds
    jamie_reynolds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    arugula &/or spinach, orange, pecans/walnuts, feta, roasted BEETS and balsamic vinaigrette = best salad ever
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    roast them, don't boil them. Boiling them causes the nitrate to be leached out of beets and hence no benefits will come from eating beets
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love beets any way you can think of! I juice them for my kids as well, the whole plant. i also put powdered beets in my shakes :)
  • bccalling
    bccalling Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally like to roast them, but I like beets a little sweeter, so for each bunch of beets (the ones I buy usually come in threes) I use about a 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil, a Tbsp or so of honey, and little brown sugar.

First, I wash, peel, and cut them into smallish cubes. Then, I toss with the oil, honey, and sugar and wrap them up in a foil packet (which I lay on a baking sheet to catch any possible drippings). Then let them go in a 400 degree oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.

From there, I like to spoon them over a baked sweet potato. Very yummy!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I hate beets.... LOVE beet juice! I juice mine with kale, green apples, orange and blueberries.