Belly fat

Options
i work out every day but can't quite get to the level of ab workouts I want. Any foods that can help or assist in this area?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. You can't spot reduxe, just eat less and it will eventually come off.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    No food, or exercise will get your abs to magically show up.

You have to continue to eat in a caloric deficit to melt body-fat, which will drop from random places, since there is NO WAY to spot reduce fat.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Exercise DOESN'T define your abs. Calorie deficit does. And for some it may take longer than others due to genetics and where your body prefers to reserve fat. For some it's going to be in the abs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating I know, but for some including myself the belly seemed to be the last place where the fat is coming off. Like the other posters said. Eat at a deficit and it will happen.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. My belly fat is super stubborn, just where my body wants to keep it. The only time I can get it to go down is to cut out the sugar and refined carbs. Working out does nothing to really change it. You have to change your diet. In the end you may never have a truly flat stomach depending on your genetics. I've learned to live with the fact that I can get a flat stomach but unless I really go to unhealthy extremes I will never have a sixpack.
  • acwing612
    acwing612 Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Im not trying to be able to do laundry on my stomach but it seems to be stubborn!!! Thank u all
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen" deadlifts, squats and planks will help along the way.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm losing fat everywhere else but the belly section. Just keep plunking away at it, eventually it will come off!
  • OMFGItzAndre
    OMFGItzAndre Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    acwing612 wrote: »
    i work out every day but can't quite get to the level of ab workouts I want. Any foods that can help or assist in this area?

I recently made a thread almost about the same thing as everyone stated to me no exersice nor food will target select the area you want to lose fat from. just give it time and soon you lose that stubborn belly.(don't quote me on that) :D
  • acwing612
    Options
    Haha thanks!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you !!! I feel/look like I am 4 month pregnant.(I am not pregnant) :)
    For me it must be the very last fat to leave my body. I only have 13pd left to lose, shooting for 120. I guess we just keep the calorie deficit, exercise, do some sit-ups and wait.
    It sure would be nice though if a certain food not eaten would get rid of it, but not the case I guess...... Daily calorie deficit.
  • acwing612
    Options
    Ha! Well keep up he good work! I'm here w yA :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oblique exercises do help you tone all areas of the abs! Food will not help to target only one area but when you lose some fat the tummy will of course lose fat.

I exercise the a tummy/love handles for toning... It helps us girls out when we have some excess baggage in this area! :)

Edited to add, I do cardio and strength exercises not just the tummy/love handles...
  • voidofeverything
    Options
    lift heavy and eat a deficit. Yo
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Exercise DOESN'T define your abs. Calorie deficit does. And for some it may take longer than others due to genetics and where your body prefers to reserve fat. For some it's going to be in the abs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

pretty much the answer you should listen to
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Oblique exercises do help you tone all areas of the abs! Food will not help to target only one area but when you lose some fat the tummy will of course lose fat.

I exercise the a tummy/love handles for toning... It helps us girls out when we have some excess baggage in this area! :)

Edited to add, I do cardio and strength exercises not just the tummy/love handles...
    You can "tone up" the muscle in the area, but exercise does nothing to directly reduce fat when you target it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I stated that exercise helps! Weight loss (or fat loss) in not linear and my advise was not to just exercise.

Take it from someone that has this issue. I now eat differently in which I eat a lot more protein and fat and less carby food (simple sugars) and being a woman in my 40's hormones / cortisol is a huge issue...

I was just trying to say eating right and exercising helps! Not a new thing here...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I stated that exercise helps! Weight loss (or fat loss) in not linear and my advise was not to just exercise.
    Exercise helps to strengthen an area and increase total calorie expenditure by doing it, but it DOESN'T directly affect a targeted area. Calorie deficit (regardless of how it's attained) is how the body reduces fat stores.
    Take it from someone that has this issue. I now eat differently in which I eat a lot more protein and fat and less carby food (simple sugars) and being a woman in my 40's hormones / cortisol is a huge issue...
    Unfortunately cortisol is INCREASED in output during exercise. It's not the cortisol from exercise that may be your issue. If you've been deemed to have high cortisol, it's more likely from stress and lack of rest.
    I was just trying to say eating right and exercising helps! Not a new thing here...
    And it does. Just not that way you conveyed it. The implication was that doing oblique exercises would "tone" the area when it's not true. It improves muscle tone, but "tone" (by most applications in fitness)is defined as reducing fat in an area.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options