C-section stomach or those who had big babies

Options
I was fairly tiny pre-pregnancy, 5'8 and weighing between 115-130 depending on the time of year. I ended up gaining a lot (60+) and having a pretty big baby (9.5lbs) which ended in an emergency c-section.

I know a lot of women with kids who have perfect stomachs through really hard work but mine just won't go back to normal no matter how much I work out or how healthy I eat. My daughter is 16 months so it has been awhile.

Has anybody gotten their stomach backs or am I doomed to a floppy skinned stomach? I try to do interval cardio and a lot of core workout but my stomach is not improving.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The problem is not the c-section or the big baby, it is the 60 lbs. Not only the weight needs time to come off, but the skin needs time to recover, this was a lot of stretching in a short time. If you have stretchmarks, then no, it is never going exactly to where it was prepregnancy, although with time it will look better. If not, consider yourself lucky, and be patient. If you have the skin flap in the c-section area, it will imrpove with time and with getting back in shape, but it might never disappear completely.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You need to give it time and to follow a progressive lifting programme - no amount of ab crunches will help

Try something like www.stronglifts5x5

Your skin will have stretched and that can take a couple of years to go back as far as it wants to and that's after you've lost excess weight

I'm 5'8 but have never weighed as little as you (my goal weight was 165 and I'm currently 163lb as I try to get to maintenance within 5-10lbs of this)

I've had two sections - I've just lost close on 50lbs over the last 9 months and I have a small bump / overhang left (there's some pics on my profile) but with the weight training and compound lifts I believe it will gradually flatten over time
  • sammyybabbyy
    Options
    I would love some advise on how to reduce the size of the overhang from after having a c - section
    I have had 2 c - sections after my first I lost weight but since having my daughter in august 2012 I've not been able to lose the weight. I no you can never lose the over hang but I no people thay have reduced the size of it so that you can fit into smaller clothes.
    Have u left it too long to be able to reduce the size or do I still stand a chance
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would love some advise on how to reduce the size of the overhang from after having a c - section
    I have had 2 c - sections after my first I lost weight but since having my daughter in august 2012 I've not been able to lose the weight. I no you can never lose the over hang but I no people thay have reduced the size of it so that you can fit into smaller clothes.
    Have u left it too long to be able to reduce the size or do I still stand a chance

My youngest is 10 :grinning: and I'm 47 so it's never too late

Eat at a calorie defecit and follow a progressive weight lifting programme

Books:
    Strong Curves: http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425376740&sr=1-1&keywords=strong+curves
    NROLFW: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425376740&s

Websites
    Bodyweight exercises you can do at home, TODAY: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Weights Based programmes
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    or ice cream fitness
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My children are 19, 17 and 15 - first 2 were emergency c sections, third was an elective. All 3 were 10.5lbs give or take an ounce. I gained 42lbs with each but my belly circumference was 52", 50" and 48" with each child so I was huge! After each baby I got back to by pre pregnancy weight but over the past 10 years age has crept up on me! I will never get rid of my c section pouch unless I have surgery however much weight i lose and it does show under close fitting clothes but hey, I have 3 fab kids who are healthy and as happy as teenagers can be!!!
    -
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any babies, but I have had a surgery that was identical to a c-section when I had to have a very large ovarian cyst removed. That was 5 years ago.

Losing weight is the only way to get that lower belly pouch to go away. Yes, the area is harder to tone after a surgery like that, your muscles are weaker and less responsive. I personally find that my lower abs stay sore for much longer than any of my other core muscles after a day of heavy lifting or targeted ab workouts.

Because I still have around 20 pounds to lose, I still have some of that lower belly fat right now, but the muscles underneath it are getting stronger and more toned. Losing the weight from that area requires the same effort as losing from any other - you count your calories and eat at a deficit. It's the toning and tightening of that area that's difficult, but you'll find that it will get pretty small even without making any effort to tone it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 babies...7lbs13, 8lbs10 and 9lbs 1... Born June 2009, May 2011 and May 2014 so pretty close together. Luckily I've never had a c-section, but I've gained loads in all three, no matter how much exercise I did, or how careful I was with eating. Plus I'm now 37 which doesn't help.

Anyway, I managed to really reduce my stomach after my 2nd. I lost 66lbs (baby weight and a lot more) and was the thinnest I'd been since my early 20s. I was able to wear a bikini. I would've carried on and lost a bit more, but I got pregnant again lol. So I'm hoping to get back there again, but I know it'll take a while. My baby is 10 months now and I reckon it'll take at least another 6 months, and I've back at the gym since she was 6.5 weeks old. Just be patient.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I don't have the over hang but the skin below the belly button is just loose, when I sit it kind of hangs, blah. I am 3 pounds from pre-pregnancy weigh!! I've lost 57 so far and want to lose 8 more since I was just a bit heavier than normal when I got pregnant. I do weights but I am not seeing any muscle definition in my lower abs no matter how much weight lifting, ab work or cardio I do. I guess I will give it more time,maybe these 8 lbs will change it or maybe it is permanent. The positive stories here are helping to keep me motivated, thanks!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 pounds with my 9 pound 12 ounce baby (also emergency C section because he was too big) He's 15-month-old now.

I have found that water, and water, and more water really helped with my skins elasticity. Do you weight the same you did before you had your baby? If not, just focus on your diet for now and eating proper portions... It can get real hard especially if your kiddo is as crazy as mine but it can be done.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've had two c-sections and my stomach rocks! Time and work.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I've had two c-sections and my stomach rocks! Time and work.

How much time and what kind of work?