How to Change an Unhealthy Habit?

Options
Everyday around 4pm, I start to crave grains. Cereals and granola mostly. But if I let myself have one bowl, that usually turns into three bowls and then I've lost my appetite for the healthy dinner I had planned for an hour or two later. And of course everyone knows granola is LOADED with calories as well.

I can't just remove all cereals from the house, as the rest of my family wouldn't stand for it, so I'm just looking for suggestions on what I could do to solve or at least tame this unhealthy habit. Maybe substitutions for grains that are healthier/more filling? Or what might be triggering the cravings? Something I could do earlier in the day to stop it from happening? Or even just support/condolences if this has happened to you before as well.

Thank you so much and good luck with all your weightloss efforts!

Replies

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I used to love cereal, eat it religiously, but for the same reasons I gave it up, now in the morning I make a smoothie with my protein and fruit, then I also make two sandwiches with peanut butter and if I'm still hungry I'll top it off with some greek yogurt and strawberries. In the afternoon I'll eat a couple of apples to try and hold me up until dinner.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Eat something healthier instead. Sipping on a hot beverage or chewing gum keeps me from snacking altogether in the afternoons. Set a time frame, like 21 days. Put a smiley or something on the calendar for each day you didn't eat grains in the afternoon.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'll confess I prefer to keep cereal out of the house. But one thing I'll ask is, are the cereal containers displayed in full/easy view, or tucked away and out of sight but where those who want it can get it easily? I've found that this can help a little
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry or do you just fancy it

If you're hungry put in a snack around that time - I know I need a snack at 3.30 so have toast with cottage cheese, avocado and tomato or a similar crunchy under 200 calorie snack / mini-meal that satisfies me

Of course it took a few weeks to be enough but you can have willpower for a few weeks
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Although it's an expensive way to do it. I have found having the individual one serving tubs and sachets a help. I don't eat them daily but stops me from heaping bowl full, or if a packets nearly empty adding the last bit, to use the box up.
  • LoveListenSavour
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Eat something healthier instead. Sipping on a hot beverage or chewing gum keeps me from snacking altogether in the afternoons. Set a time frame, like 21 days. Put a smiley or something on the calendar for each day you didn't eat grains in the afternoon.

I'll try your suggestion of the 21 days thing. That's how long it takes to change a habit I've heard. I drink at least three mugs of tea a day, and I have tried to use it as a way not to snack. It works sometimes, but it also makes me think about the food I'm trying to avoid and then I might still eat something after I'm done the cup. I guess it's just a question of willpower.

I used to love cereal, eat it religiously, but for the same reasons I gave it up, now in the morning I make a smoothie with my protein and fruit, then I also make two sandwiches with peanut butter and if I'm still hungry I'll top it off with some greek yogurt and strawberries. In the afternoon I'll eat a couple of apples to try and hold me up until dinner.

Eating some apples in the afternoon is a good idea! I might try that as well.

Thank you everyone!