Carbs ? & iorn for vegetarians

Options
People say you should get your carbs from natural things like avocado and bananas but I'm a vegetarian and the only way I get iorn is thru fortified cereal ;( is there any Ther way to get iorn ? And are processed carbs that bad for a diet even if they're are nutrition in the and low calories ?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Examples of non-processed grains:
    Steel cut oats, barley, rice, quinoa.

7f2755a1b81acdd7f310ba75f5178a17.jpg
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, oatmeal, cinnamon, leafy greens, nuts and seeds, quinoa, pasta, brown rice, broccoli - all of these are staples in my diet and I get enough iron as a vegetarian. There are actually a lot of ways to get iron in your diet, and tons of lists you can find through google. If you're really worried about it you can also try a vegan protein powder for smoothies. Make sure when you do eat iron sources that you're having vitamin c with them to make absorption easier.
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but I try to limit animal consumption. I donate blood regularly and I struggle with iron deficiency. I have learned that Vitamin C greatly boosts iron absorption. The trick is you have to have the vitamin c with the iron in the same meal. Items that I eat high in iron are spinach, golden raisins and legumes. What I do is I drink lime water (squeeze a lime into my water) with these foods. You could also just eat citrus or sub lemon juice, if you prefer. As far as protein goes, I could stand to learn a lot more. I incorporate rice and beans a lot into my diet because I've read that rice and beans forms a complete protein. I hope these iron tricks are helpful
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    FYI, the requirement to combine proteins has been disproven. It turns out our bodies are smarter than we thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_combining