Reducing daily calorie goal

Options
Does anyone have an opinion about whether reducing your daily calorie goal actually helps you eat less?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    How low are you talking? It does for me, because I hate seeing my numbers go into the red. (Except for protein, it's been a good day if I get that number into the red) :)

In the past though, when I wasn't as committed, I wouldn't honestly log something if it would make me go over for the day. Now I log it all.

I go back and forth with my calorie goal, right now it's set at 1 lb a week, sometimes I push it up to 2 lbs a week. I also have about 70 more lbs to lose, and I'm not in a hurry.

• suziemills1
    suziemills1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Only just seen your reply! I've set my daily calorie goal to 1000 after having had it at 1200 for ages. I tried 800 for a couple of days but it was mainly in the red most days and it was depressing.
    Yes it's difficult to get that much protein into your body everyday isn't it! I now eat chicken for breakfast!
    Well done with your goals.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are going to starve. :'( 1200 calories should be your minimum. 1000 calories a day is not sustainable. No need to rush your weight loss - it will come in time.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I find it does help me to cut back and budget my intake better. I am in the red a lot of days, but not by much.
    Laurend224 wrote: »

In the past though, when I wasn't as committed, I wouldn't honestly log something if it would make me go over for the day. Now I log it all.

I go back and forth with my calorie goal, right now it's set at 1 lb a week, sometimes I push it up to 2 lbs a week. I also have about 70 more lbs to lose, and I'm not in a hurry.

I also struggled for a long time to log my calories if I knew I'd go over, or if I was having a "bad" day or "junk food day". I have now made it my goal to honestly log everything I eat and stay accountable to myself.

I also have a much higher calorie goal than MFP estimates for me. MFP suggests I eat 1660 kCal a day, but at that level, I am tired, crabby and lethargic. I have mine set to 1800 and I am still losing and I am able to function.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    No, actually when I reduce my calorie goal I eat more. I can set it at 1610, which is .5lbs/week for me (I have 4.6lbs left to UG) and eat around 1450. But when I set it to 1450, I want to eat 1610. I like seeing "extra" calories there at the end of the day. Motivation, I guess.
  • suziemills1
    suziemills1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks peeps. Am not starving as have too many fat reserves!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks peeps. Am not starving as have too many fat reserves!

You may not feel hungry but your body is starving for nutrients. 1000 calories/day is not enough to get your nutrients.